The Mayann Project

BenCo

L5: Dapper Member
Dec 30, 2015
I started modelling my first ever "hat" which is in this case a mask for spy, I still need to work a lot on it:
mayann.png

Inspiration:
10472186-Mayan-mask-on-a-white-background-Stock-Photo-maya.jpg

BenCo

Dec 30, 2015
As long as a scout can survive a burning hat I don't see any problem :p But the mask I want to make would be wooden.

Crowbar

Spiritual preprocessor
aa
Dec 19, 2015
Not sure if TF2 is the most realistic with cosmetics. But you are right, they didn't wear those masks
@BenCo is goind to make it wooden so it won't be that heavy. If it's some lightweight wood I see no problem with the mask's weight to wear. And TF2 is not realistic in anything it could be unrealistic at, and that's one of reasons we love it, isn't it?

BenCo

Dec 30, 2015
There is already a few masks like the devil one and the handsome jack one. So that's why i started making one

Jekyllson

L3: Member
Jun 20, 2015
I started modelling my first ever "hat" which is in this case a mask for spy, I still need to work a lot on it:
mayann.png

Inspiration:
10472186-Mayan-mask-on-a-white-background-Stock-Photo-maya.jpg

BenCo, if you want to get fancy, you could make a Mayan-themed mask for all nine classes in addition to the normal one, and if it were accepted, Valve could make your various masks replace the normal white class masks that Spy wears when disguised as them. Heck, you could even go the extra mile and add a Mayan-themed model for the Disguise Kit and advertise it on the Workshop as a Disguise Kit "reskin"! It would make your submission really stand out from other Mayan-themed cosmetics, since cosmetics aren't normally visible to teammates when disguised, and so it would let Spies customize their look for when they're disguised as well as replacing the usual cigarette box from the first-person view.

Tumby

aa
May 12, 2013
The paper mask is part of the spy model. It's a bodygroup, just like how the gunslinger is a bodygroup. In order to add a reskin version, there would need be another bodygroup added to the base model. Last time valve did something with bodygroups, shit went really bad[citation needed], so I'm not expecting them to do stuff like that.

Jekyllson

L3: Member
Jun 20, 2015
Couldn't you just hide the paper mask bodygroup and allow the Mayan mask cosmetic to remain rendered while disguised?

Jusa

aa
May 28, 2013
If people are looking for inspiration, theres a great movie called Apocalyto which is set in the Mayan kingdom. Not sure how historically correct it is, but should be a great way to get in the mood.

I've got a few ideas for a 5cp but not sure if I have the time to make them happen yet.

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
Yeah, there's no due date yet. Even if Valve decide not to pick this theme up as a future update theme, it'd still be totally awesome to have some sweet Mayan jungle themed maps. So go crazy!
(as for content not being out yet, I still recommend getting creative with dev textures for now)

TyeZenneth

L6: Sharp Member
May 31, 2014
Yeah, there's no due date yet. Even if Valve decide not to pick this theme up as a future update theme, it'd still be totally awesome to have some sweet Mayan jungle themed maps. So go crazy!
(as for content not being out yet, I still recommend getting creative with dev textures for now)
Will we be able to recommend new custom content? I'm getting a lot of ideas from my research alone.

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
We have two main brick textures for the pack currently (both with clean and mossy top/bottom variants) The larger of the two matches the same brick size as the Egypt bricks (though it's a different pattern) and the smaller one is half that size. Or in units: 32 tall and 16 tall.

Mayan-textures.JPG

Diva Dan

hello!
aa
Mar 20, 2016
We have two main brick textures for the pack currently (both with clean and mossy top/bottom variants) The larger of the two matches the same brick size as the Egypt bricks (though it's a different pattern) and the smaller one is half that size. Or in units: 32 tall and 16 tall.

Mayan-textures.JPG

That is super awesome and exactly what I am looking for! seriously can't wait.

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
@soosh that reference image is from puuc route which is in the heart of the yucatan peninsula. It's as Mayan as it gets!

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
I want to reiterate to people who are fretting over not having much time to make maps for this:

1. We'll release the content as soon as it's actually made and we're sure it's not going to change, we're not holding back, a lot of it doesn't exist yet and we don't want to give out assets that we might later change
  2. This isn't definitely going to be an official update, we really hope it will be but until Valve say so it's just community stuff
  3. There's no deadline until Valve choose one
  4. If and when Valve choose a deadline, they're likely to choose one that's at least a month or two away from the start date (they want a level playing field so they ought to give enough time to make a map in)
Sorry if anyone has been confused or panicked by what's going on here.
Any further questions, just ask!