The Mayann Project

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007

^ this is a link, click it ^

> this is a link to the prop pack! <

v this is a video, watch it v​

The Mayann Project is a community developed project which focuses on making content for TF2 around the Jungle/Mayan theme. The project has been in development since late 2015, and has now been made public, in order to meet Valve's request, so that it may receive community content submissions and possibly become an official TF2 Community Update.

This project has been an active collaboration between many community members, such as The Winglet, The Ronin, Svdl, VLEK, Sparkwire, YM, BANG!, among many others!

There's a facepunch thread for contributions: https://facepunch.com/showthread.php?t=1513155&p=50062247
As well as a main website about the project (incase you didn't click that massive banner): http://www.mayannproject.com/

Last edited:

Woozlez

L3: Member
Jul 28, 2010
Here's what I posted over in E-Arkham's Mayan & Aztec Assets thread:
http://tf2maps.net/threads/mayan-aztec-assets.27591/

Were you approached by JPRAS to work on Antiquity again, and make these props public so other maps that could be included in the Mayann collection can use them? Or just a happy coincidence? The project guidelines says "You may create all the props and textures for your map. However, we highly recommend using the mayann map prop pack, which we will be publishing very soon." - I'm hoping all of these props of yours are included of course!

I also see Egan's Discovery is in the background of Chaofanatic's unusual effect SFM shots in the collection, so I'm guessing that he was also approached.

I'm excited to see what other Mayan/Aztec maps use these props, and are added to the project's collection! Maybe Ynders' Rift, YM's Sacrifice, or even Snowbat's Yucatan!

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
Earkham is not involved with this project. As far as any maps go I was brought on early and had the sole level design responsibility as the map I was making was to be used in the SFM and as the main in-game feature of the update.

I believe JPRAS did talk to EArkham but there has been no collaboration between us. I have no idea if Egan was approached. Either way, so far I've been the sole level designer on this team.

My personal hope is that nothing Cambodian/Angkor Wat themed is chosen by Valve because that's literally the opposite side of the planet and quite incongruent with the Mayann theme. If they're rethemed to fit Mesoamerica instead then I'm (we're) all for it.

We have our own internal assets and aren't using any of E-Arkham's work, but his pack is certainly a great place for people to start if they want to join in!

Shogun

L6: Sharp Member
Jan 31, 2014
Are there already mapping assets made/ in the works, or are we expected to make our own?

EDIT: There are assets to be released soon for anyone else wondering. I just found that part
"You may create all the props and textures for your map. However, we highly recommend using the mayann map prop pack, which we will be publishing very soon."

Vel0city

func_fish
aa
Dec 6, 2014
Ehh, I'll stay in a not-hyped state until the update actually hits (I assume you're shooting for a summer release as part of the big summer update like Gun Mettle right?). The last time we were all hyped up far in advance for a "community update" it turned out to be a massive (no pun intended) train wreck that we really don't want happening again. Then again, this time we don't just have a video trailer but actual maps and models and stuff. Still.

Jul 30, 2014
epic adventure in the Amazonian jungle

Shouldn't it be "in the jungles of central america"? The Mayans were nowhere near the Amazon.

(it's nitpicky, but if you hear it from me, you will prolly hear it from 100 other smug know-it-alls)

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
@Werewolf: That depends what you mean by "next invasion"
It's a community update yes, SFM, hats, particles, maps etc.
It's a complete mess, no. It's been run super duper smoothly, everyone is happy with how it's going and JPRAS has an excellent handle on things. It wouldn't have repeated invasion's drama. Valve changed how updates are handled though so using the new method, there's not even any potential for Invasion's drama to be repeated.

@Vel0city: There's no hype to get. Valve make the final call on what becomes an update and what doesn't. Until Valve come out and say "Hey! We're going to do a Mayann update", then this is just people creating custom content and not an official update.

Currently there is no deadline (for the above reason) but the core team's content should all be done within about a month, I suspect Valve would like to allocate longer than a month but who knows.

Werewolf

Probably not a real Werewolf
aa
Apr 12, 2011
@Werewolf: That depends what you mean by "next invasion"
It's a community update yes, SFM, hats, particles, maps etc.
It's a complete mess, no. It's been run super duper smoothly, everyone is happy with how it's going and JPRAS has an excellent handle on things. It wouldn't have repeated invasion's drama. Valve changed how updates are handled though so using the new method, there's not even any potential for Invasion's drama to be repeated.
I didn't follow the 'behind the scenes' of the invasion update so I didn't know about any drama. Not that I want to know either. What I meant is that it could end up as another campaign people can buy into with contracts.

Sniggyfigbat

L1: Registered
Dec 12, 2011
Excellent! This is a theme I've long thought TF2 should make greater use of! I'll have to get my old arena map out and polish it up a bit!

Aug 30, 2015
Dat Font.PNG
Where can I get me a copy of dat font?

Oh yeah, this seems pretty chill. I'll see if I can't shoehorn in the theme into whatever I do next

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
To clear up a few things with how this works, the new Valve approved way for updates to happen is as follows:

1. People in the community think up an idea
  2. Those people make noise about their idea
  3. Valve hear the noise and if they agree that it'd make a cool update they post on their blog with:
    1. Info about the theme
    2. A deadline for submissions (to the workshop)
    3. A call to action from everyone in the community who wants to contribute
  4. The community works their butts off and posts stuff on the workshop
  5. When the deadline passes, Valve choose what they're going to ship
  6. The update ships

Step 4 can happen before (as well as after) step 3

Because this process is new, several community update projects were started using the old method (a small team works in differing levels of secrecy). Mayann was working like that, but is now open and is currently at step 2. Valve know about the project but until they post about it on the TF2 blog it's not officially happening.

Dec 28, 2014
This looks like it has potential to be a great update. I hope you guys get to go official. I'm very excited about a new The Winglet video, especially one that may be part of what could be an official update, I've always felt he deserved to have a community update around one of his videos.

What kind of in game map are you making YM? The description sounds like it could be a CTF map. Also any plans to test the map on the TF2maps.net server?

Also thanks for posting about how Valve wants to handle community updates in the future, I think the transparency Valve wants is probably the best way to handle community updates in the future.

Lain

lobotomy success story
aa
Jan 8, 2015
What kind of in game map are you making YM? The description sounds like it could be a CTF map. Also any plans to test the map on the TF2maps.net server?

If they're doing the A/D type of things, they might be doing something like This which I originally wanted a Golden idol for along with traps and such. I will probably redo the base level for this thing.

Diva Dan

hello!
aa
Mar 20, 2016
I think i cool idea that I want to start on is invasion CTF but with one neutral flag, like Special Delivery. Could be a bomb that you plant in order to destroy the opposing team's idol. Super hyped ; )

Copyright idea by Diva Dan donut steel

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
@fubarFX Sorry, until we're finished with our own assets they're staying private, we'll release them once they're done. Until then (and after then) you're free to use any assets you like (like E-Arkham's http://tf2maps.net/threads/mayan-aztec-assets.27591/) or get creative with your dev textures

I'll make a big song and dance about our asset pack once it's ready, so you won't miss it.