Brush into .obj file?

Mystic Monkey

L5: Dapper Member
Jan 24, 2011
So I'm experimenting with this map that requires a huge cylindrical room. Like, 32-walls huge... all those walls I'll have to allign correctly, can't be good for the map's brush-limit which I'm already concern I'm pushing and I really can't be bothered assembling piece-by-piece. (The map I'm working on is rather "complex" given what it's based on.)

But I know some maps use props not just for skybox decoration but for large terrain structures that would be too complex for brush-work. I was wondering if it was possible for me to place a large cyllinder in my map of the chamber I want and somehow import that brush as an object file? That way it will retain it's size while I can work on it. When it's done it will count as the one prop instead of many brushes and with Vphysics it would be hollow in the middle to be used as a chamber.

The only alternative I know of that could work is to make a 8-walled arch-circle, displace the out and inner walls and subdivide. This appears efficient but it will be difficult adding entrance and exit doorways.

Mystic Monkey

Jan 24, 2011
With it I figured out how to export brush made structures into .mdl files. I've yet to figure out how to turn them into .obj but I think I can do so through Blender.
Just wanted to say thanks again.

Da Spud Lord

Occasionally I make maps
aa
Mar 23, 2017

Mystic Monkey

Jan 24, 2011
Thanks, though I don't think it's working right.

Code:
** Executing...
** Command: E:\Program files\Steam\steamapps\common\Team Fortress 2\bin\propper.exe
** Parameters: -game -obj "E:\Program files\Steam\steamapps\common\Team Fortress 2\tf" "e:\program files\steam\steamapps\common\sourcesdk_content\custom maps\team fortress 2\testarea"

Warning: falling back to auto detection of vproject directory.
Propper 0.34. Originally written by Carl Foust, fixed and compiled for SDK Base 2013 by tuxxi. Raised limits + TF2 compatibility by ficool2. Adapted from vbsp.exe by Valve Software. (Jul 20 2020)
Command line: "E:\Program files\Steam\steamapps\common\Team Fortress 2\bin\propper.exe" "-game" "-obj" "E:\Program files\Steam\steamapps\common\Team Fortress 2\tf" "e:\program files\steam\steamapps\common\sourcesdk_content\custom maps\team fortress 2\testarea"

usage  : propper [options...] mapfile
example: propper -game "c:\program files\steam\steamapps\username\half-life 2\hl2 c:\maps\test.vmf

Common options (use -v to see all options):

-v (or -verbose): Turn on verbose output (also shows more command
  line options).

-low  : Run as an idle-priority process.

-vproject <directory> : Override the VPROJECT environment variable.
  -game <directory>  : Same as -vproject.
  -logging          : enable .log file.
  -nomaterials        : Makes propper skip conversion of material files.
  -nocompile        : Makes propper skip running studiomdl to compile props.

Da Spud Lord

Occasionally I make maps
aa
Mar 23, 2017
Because you put the -obj parameter between -game and its value. Put -obj before -game.