Wiretap

Feb 14, 2008
And a prodigious talent at putting doors everywhere :O

I can't help but think if the whole base is styled as in that photo it'll be as confusing to navigate as it is now for a new player. I know it's an alpha, but you could change up (yes again), the room -> generic doorway prop -> room, cycle you have going on at the moment.

Last edited:

Void

Local Man Unable To Map, Sources Say
aa
Sep 14, 2008
There'll be a significant drop in the door count as time goes on. They were mostly there for extremely minor detailing and as placeholders.

MangyCarface

Mapper
aa
Feb 26, 2008
idk if you heard me say this before, so:

Whole map ought to be shrunk, imo, in terms of the middle. Cut the fat so to speak. The side buildings still feel extraneous; either implement them further into the existing bases or up into the bridge, add some angular geometry so they flow better (right angles everywhere in this map!) or cut them out entirely.

Penguin

Clinically Diagnosed with Small Mapper's Syndrome
aa
May 21, 2009
Those buildings provide a place to hide when shit is going down at the mid.

Void

aa
Sep 14, 2008
They will be more accessible and direct as a route is connected from the base to the side buildings.

Void

aa
Sep 14, 2008
Alpha VI/A
- Further Optimization
- Detailed areas outside Spawns
- Downgraded medium health around the corner from Spawns
- Added a route that connects the bases to the Side Buildings
- Minor detailing throughout
- Fixed Triggers
- Fixed Vent clipping

ctf_wiretap_a60003.jpg

ctf_wiretap_a60004.jpg

ctf_wiretap_a60005.jpg

ctf_wiretap_a60006.jpg

ctf_wiretap_a60007.jpg

ctf_wiretap_a60008.jpg

Ida

deer
aa
Jan 6, 2008
Nice details, and I'm glad you added another path to the base. However, a Sentry can still cover both the lower entrance and the vent entrance, so I suggest you block the sightline between the platform above the lower entrance and the corridor by the vent entrance.

There was another problem connected with breaking into the base, though. It was hard to feel safe anywhere except on the bridge, but even then a rocketjumping Soldier could flank you. I think maps like these should have areas where the attackers have the upper hand, should the defenders try to push them back. However, the new path gives the defenders the advantage if they take it, so you're not going to feel safe in that room. You shoul do something about that path, maybe make it one way only?

Void

aa
Sep 14, 2008
How do you guys feel about the timers? Whether it be the return timers or respawn timers, what do you think? Longer? Shorter? Suggestions, please.

lana

Currently On: ?????
aa
Sep 28, 2009
How do you guys feel about the timers? Whether it be the return timers or respawn timers, what do you think? Longer? Shorter? Suggestions, please.

Return timers were good. They put pressure on both teams to hold the intel's location. I wasn't paying attention to spawns.

Ida

deer
aa
Jan 6, 2008
Well, it all felt quite natural, so what can I say. Since I didn't notice anything bad about the timers, it's good enough in my opinion. :p

Sep 12, 2008
Spawntimes were rather long, as in, 'to be comfortable'. But I think it was really hard to get in the other player's base. In the 30 minutes we played your map (both yesterday (a6a) and the day before (a5) - so that's 60 minutes!), I had only seen the enemy base once. I was playing soldier most of the time, and died in the middle most of the time. So I'm not exactly sure if you should lower the spawntimes, because that'd make defending even easier. Not sure wether or not it is a serious issue that it's hard to get in the other team's base, but I wanted to mention it.

----

Also, I didn't like the small building on the bridge, because players could stand on the roof. I got beaten quite a few times by a soldier on top of that building when he was randomly firing rockets on the floor and easily dodging mine.

ctf_wiretap_a6a0011.jpg

Maybe you... Maybe you could get rid of the roof, so you only get some sort of cover in the mid, as shown in the picture, and excuse me for my horrible painting skills.

ctf_wiretap_a6a0001.jpg

----

I must say, i like the detailing in the area outside the spawn, but only on the blu side. I don't know why, but the red side doesn't even look half as good as the blu side. Maybe because you're using the grey walls. Can I suggest changing them to something more red-ish?

ctf_wiretap_a6a0000.jpg

I hope this was of any help!

Void

aa
Sep 14, 2008
Yeah, that concept for the bridge looks nice. Perhaps I can make it have a structure similar to the Viaduct bridge?

All in favor of the reworked bridge say aye!

Sep 12, 2008
Urm, I'm against it, in 6v6 it helps to have these little spots that seem OP at the pub level for soldiers to contest; also, if you removed the roof they'd still be able to stand on the walls, no?

Yes, but i'd be harder to stand on it, stay on it, dodge rockets, etc.

lana

Currently On: ?????
aa
Sep 28, 2009
Against a rework, but in favor of player clipping the roof of the bridge.