[WIP]KoTH_Garbage_Day - Playtest Phase

Discussion in 'WIP (Work in Progress)' started by What Is Schwa, Jul 28, 2008.

1. What Is Schwa

What Is Schwa L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    UPDATE 1/12/2012

Due to many requests, Garbage day has been FIXED and will run on your servers again.

koth_garbage_day_final

Last edited: Jan 12, 2012
  2. Laz

Laz L7: Fancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    looks good I'd like to play this!

3. Bonafide

Bonafide L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    I think a map needs cubemaps before playtesting imo. I dislike seeing shiney purple checkers everywhere .

4. Shmitz

aa Shmitz Old Hat

Positive Ratings:
    While I would tend to agree that it's a relatively simple thing to put one cubemap in a map before making an initial release, if it bothers you that much, there's always mat_specular 0.

5. What Is Schwa

Positive Ratings:
    I figure anything to make the file size smaller for playtesting would be appreciated. There's always going to be someone to bitch about something, and there's nothing the player can do about a bloated file.

I'll probably be finishing this up this afternoon. The next month for me is going to be hectic as I'm moving and won't have internet. Any suggestions would really be appreciated.

6. Laz

Laz L7: Fancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    1 cubemap wont be noticable in the filesize :p

7. What Is Schwa

Positive Ratings:
    So... the feedback I'm getting was mentioned in my own opening post as something on my todo list.

Quick, someone bring up the lack of 3d Skybox!

8. What Is Schwa

Positive Ratings:
    Updated with cubemaps and several gameplay tweaks.

9. oxy

oxy L5: Dapper Member

Positive Ratings:
    Where is the 3d Skybox?

I see this being set in the bottom of a big bowl.

10. What Is Schwa

Positive Ratings:
    ...in the background?

I didn't go crazy with it, just a little bit of detail past the main stuff. Clouds in the sky, hills in the distance, a few roads and buildings and some trains.

11. Chilly

Chilly L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    We've played this quite a bit with at least 8-8 on our server. A few things:
    - Please nobuild the elevator shaft. Right now engineers can build in the top of it.
    - Please consider changing the elevator shaft to a large circular staircase, since there's some issues with people falling through the lift.
    - If you do leave the elevator, please remove the "ding ding" noise. It gets to be annoying. :)
    - Consider increasing the time to hold the CP by 1 minute.
    - Consider having a graphic on the map that shows the current status for each team. See the towers on protectthefiles for an example. Right now teams don't know how much time they have left until they cap the point. Would a custom HUD be possible?
    - Consider adding trees or other structures to limit the snipers a bit. Right now it's a bit too open.

It's loads of fun, though. :D

12. luxatile

aa luxatile deer

Positive Ratings:
    I've never played a KOTH map before, but I can at least say that I think your map looks pretty.

I think I have to agree with Chilly on the elevator even though I haven't played the map. I mean, I really don't think elevators have a place in TF2.

13. Jazz

Jazz L5: Dapper Member

Positive Ratings:
  14. flubber

flubber L4: Comfortable Member

Positive Ratings:
    We have it running for a few day now, it's clearly not a "teamplay" map but gosh we havec a lot of fun (especially as pyro, demo an soldier, in fact the 3 ejecting class), i'll put it after goldrush in order to "destress" everyone. It"s a really fun map to play, and the only koth taht people find great to play.

15. Uriak

Uriak L8: Fancy Shmancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    indeed, koth_corporate was a bit tedious because the first team to secure the point could turtle there and the layout creates a lot of unavoidable fights on upper ground. You could amost tell the winning team form the beginning.

Garbage is much more fun location, with running scouts, blasting pyros, and crazy stuff happening everywhere.

16. What Is Schwa

Positive Ratings:
    Thanks for all the kind feedback guys.

---

My responses in red.
    My next build will have spawn doors proper. I initially had them in but snipers were hiding behind them.

Any other bugs/problems/wishes? Lemme know! This has been really useful.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2008
  17. What Is Schwa

Positive Ratings:
    Updated OP. Many fixes and changes. Please leave any feedback.