[WiP] ctf_railways

GrimGriz

L10: Glamorous Member
Jan 2, 2009
Not unless it has an angles keyvalue that needs adjusted....

Also, I'm sure you noticed ...one of the props you used is gone. A2 now shows errors where the logs used to be

krik3t

L2: Junior Member
Jan 21, 2009
New version a3 released. :)

News:
- blocked tunnel sides and added maintenance tunnel
- trains recreated - now 3 trains with different length circling on each track
- added some details into red base (no finished yet)
- 3D skybox added (not finished yet)
- signs added
- another small changes :D

Known bugs/TODO:
- two engine cars spawned with weird angle
- 3D skybox finalize
- details details details and props

Download: http://www.krik3t.org/ctf_railways_a3.bsp.bz2

krik3t

Jan 21, 2009
After hours of testing, swearing and cursing hammer I found way how to repair odd angle of those two trains.

Problem was in position of path_tracks. I have one path_track for every car in train. Path_track for engine car was close to path_track, where train changes direction (it circles around the map). Even with fixed position, track_train and its child objects were set in odd angle. I moved corner path_track and everything is fine. :)

Please, don't point out this error after gameday, it will be repaired in next version.

krik3t

Jan 21, 2009
Screens from a4 version

ctf_railways_a40000.jpg

ctf_railways_a40009.jpg

I blocked sides of tunnels (so you can't go through along the train) and made small maintenance tunne next to it.

ctf_railways_a40001.jpg

ctf_railways_a40002.jpg

In corners under the entrance-rock I placed truck and platform with pile of wood. Anyone can jump up to first-floor platform instead of using stairs.

ctf_railways_a40003.jpg

I also made 3D skybox with railway bridge on one side with moving train.

ctf_railways_a40004.jpg

In tunnels I made some pipes and steam to point up lethal danger.

ctf_railways_a40005.jpg

ctf_railways_a40006.jpg

ctf_railways_a40007.jpg

I also started detailing inside of the RED base.

ctf_railways_a40010.jpg

I remade both railways. Now 3 different trains are circling on each track. I also put some more props to outside area including box ramp instead of missing pile of trunks.

ctf_railways_a40008.jpg

Mar

Banned
Feb 12, 2009
Me likey the 3D skybox train. Me likey very much!

krik3t

Jan 21, 2009
A4 just released :)

News:
- odd train angles repaired
- added truck and piles of wood under the rocks next to base entrances to allow anyone jump up the first floor
- added details to red base interior (not finished yet)
- added some details worldwide :D

Download:
http://www.krik3t.org/ctf_railways_a4.bsp.bz2

BagOfChips

L5: Dapper Member
Feb 7, 2009
Not unless it has an angles keyvalue that needs adjusted....

Also, I'm sure you noticed ...one of the props you used is gone. A2 now shows errors where the logs used to be

From patchnotes tonight:

Restored sawmill_logs.mdl file, fixing some user maps that used it

krik3t

Jan 21, 2009
12 hours after releasing a4 version I read complaints to new Valve "jump-duck" fix. Because its now harder to jump to higher places I had to repair few areas for the gameday (and I also found and removed one lost floating pipe in the middle of the bridge :) )

So now I'm releasing quick a5 version with only few changes.

News:
- added some props along the railways to fimplify jumping to trains
- recreated crates around truck and on other side to simplify jumpinf up
- removed one lost prop-pipe floating on bridge

Download:
http://www.krik3t.org/ctf_railways_a5.bsp.bz2

Chilly

L6: Sharp Member
May 3, 2008
I found this map to be pretty fun. I do think there were far too many people on the map, but it would play fine with 12-12. My only complaint is that it seems far too easy/common to spawn camp because of the main door right there. Obviously when people spawn up top they'll naturally just move across the top and shoot at enemies they see, which means they'll be shooting directly into the enemy spawn.

One possibility would be to raise the spawn room, making the space directly in front of it a 2 story room with a set of stairs leading to the spawn room. While it would take a bit of work, it would prevent rockets/nades/heavies/pyros from shooting directly into the spawn as they're running past.

Another option would be to move the spawn room back about 20 feet (not sure if it's possible... I didn't look at what's behind there) and possibly making a glass wall around the current stairs (the 3-4 steps coming out of the spawn). That would give people leaving the spawn a chance to see if there are spawn campers outside as well as give engineers a slightly safer place to build teleporters. It would also be a nice spot for a sentry guarding both the spawn and the entire upper path. This is the option I prefer. :)

Finally, you could just move the spawn wall back a few feet and make it the same window style as the ones overlooking the intel. That would allow people to see out before they exit.

I don't know if it has been a problem in other playtests, but if so then hopefully these suggestions will help. If you need me to sketch out any, let me know.

KarmaKaze

Dec 14, 2008
There is something wrong with the triggers on the doors. The enemy can stand outside the door somehow and it won't open for the other team. Hopefully someone with better knowledge of triggers will explain.....but it seemed to happen on every door. If the door was stuck we had to move everyone away from it and then proceed thru.

Having all those people made the game crazy...I liked it.

Fearlezz

May 4, 2008
After playing yesterday on a full server, being outside where the trains at eats your fps. I had like 10fps or something like that. I managed to get pass the trains, but after that I died :p

Speaking of those trains, since they are so very slow it gives a different gameplay that you have to wait until those cargo drives by and then walk over the track. And those cargo's also give temp cover, wich is cool.

But I cant take it to wait for them to pass. Also, I dont like it that you removed the ability to walk pass the train in the tunnel. You used to be able to just walk by. I liked that.

Anyhow, you know what would be really fun? If you made those train leathal. Like those in Well. I would be so much fun and bring the feeling this map need. Might cause alot of train death but atleast the player would learn.

I thing this map has a great future. Looking forward to the final version.

GrimGriz

Jan 2, 2009
re: ctf_railways_a5

Was playing this the other day and an engie demonstrated some craziness he could pull off:

picture.php

He was also able to build on the lower car...and the train would pass through the sentry...which made it un-attackable whenever there was a large car passing by.

Also, in the spot circled in red below, if you fall in there the displacement makes it like you're climbing out of a steep hill (you move vertically really slowly). You might look into some playing clipping in the area.

picture.php

Mar

Banned
Feb 12, 2009
In that red circle by the displacement. Maybe just add a few more planks?

krik3t

Jan 21, 2009
Thanks guys, I'm aware of both issues. I'm just little burnt-out. Had really hard week in work. I haven touched the map since last gameday. Maybe tomorrow. :)

I'm thinkong about some re-arrangement of bases. Move spawns to another place - like opposite side of gorge. It could help engis to make teleporters, deal with spawn-camping and more open top route to inteligence. But I still don't know if I really want it so :mellow: I like that bases are very simple and don't want make them too complicated.

And I have to think out how make snipers more usefull. Now it's almost no-snipe map.

Anyone know how to make some place no-sentry-build?

Last edited:

pl

L5: Dapper Member
Mar 6, 2009
To make an area where you can't build sentries, make a block, then make it a func_nobuild brush-based entity.

krik3t

Jan 21, 2009
I just made new version named a5b. It's because I only removed some bugs I knew but not added anything new. It's special version for GrimGriz as he wanted it :)

Download: http://www.krik3t.org/ctf_railways_a5b.bsp.bz2

Whats new in a5b:
- added nobuild to trains and capture points
- resolved stuck-points on plank bridges
- set door timers valve style (trigger reset 0, door reset -1)