(WIP) cp_shock

marnamai

L1: Registered
Dec 7, 2007
This problem exists on majority of the official maps
cpshockb10023zo7.th.jpg

eh ... I ve never noticed this on the valve maps? What map(s) and what area?

Snipergen

L13: Stunning Member
Nov 16, 2007
gravelpit and granary or well but certainly gravelpit! :D

btw fully updated to beta 2 now. Now i should REALLY work for school :p dont give comments on the map anymore because you would seduce me to work further on it :O

http://www.fpsbanana.com/maps/40825

Nizzem

L2: Junior Member
Nov 29, 2007
I may have been over exaggerating a bit.
But here are some of them from Gravelpit and I think theres another one on Hydro.

Logo

L3: Member
Oct 25, 2007
It's funny how they do that with the doors. If you really go over any map (Valve ones included) you'll find a whole host of small graphical glitches or strange looking areas.

I guess the lesson is you can't be perfect :p.

Scoobingsthe2nd

L4: Comfortable Member
Nov 11, 2007
My only real complaint that hasn't been covered yet is that it performs terribly :\ When I was playing on a full server of 30 people I was getting about 10 fps :thumbdown:

I usually get around 30 - 40

Snipergen

Nov 16, 2007
But tell me how did it play? :p Fps issues for next time tbh, runs great on my crap pc for some reason.

Btw im the officially the dumbest shit of the day. Forgot a player_clip in A, they cant enter or exit it :( :( :(

Crimson

Nov 25, 2007
I ran it twice today on my server. The general responses were "its a decent map", "I like the healthpacks laying around", and "This is a sniper fest".

1) On the near side of one of the houses a player got stuck in between a wall and a rock displacement.
2) People didn't enjoy the massive sniperfest that it turned into very quickly.
3) Had horrible performance, a lot of people complained about lag and I just let them know it probably didn't have hints, areaportals, etc to optimize it yet. (I was getting 10-15 FPS and usually get 40-100)

Scoobingsthe2nd

Nov 11, 2007
to be honest I really don't know how it plays, as I had to switch to a class that I suck with, since I couldn't aim accurately cause of framerate :\

Snipergen

Nov 16, 2007
Ty crimsons and scoobing.

What i hate is everybody is whining about all custom map 'sniperfest'. Seriously see a sniper? Shoot a rocket in his head, and snipers cant do much against sentrys cant they? I dont think its too open in my opinion. :)

flubber

Nov 16, 2007
Because it is sniperfest, and much more.
1 - Blue Spwan exit get filled with sticky, no one can exit
2 - Blue exit giving on CP A get snipe from the house between A & B
3 - CP A : if you camped as a demo in the up corner (over the stairs) you can defends the point endlessly, it's missing an alternate way to attack the ramp over CP A.
Every classic map have an alternate road to avoid snipers (like the sewers in 2fort), and you have to protect the blue spawn exit.
4 - CP B : Well, still snipers fest, since with two snipe you cover the three entries, missing obstacles and props to get in their way.
5 - CP B : The alternate road doesn't give much more since it's easily covered by the sentry that cover the point

Don't get me worng i like the map it's nice, i would like to see it work. But at the moment it's quite impossible to get a nice gameplay.

Snipergen

Nov 16, 2007
Gaaay i have to admit. Ive found a server with people playing. They liked it, I liked it but its not optimal yet. B is too open i have to agree there. And i think im gonna make a connection from blue spawn 2nd door to the tunnel area.

Paria

L5: Dapper Member
Dec 12, 2007
Hi snipergen i think you played it on my server this morning ;)

Anyway some feeback,

Blu Spawn entrance - once the game has begun the sliding door dosent stay open (i.e like on gravel pit) this makes it extremely easy to sticky nade up the entrance spawn camp.

Personally i think 2 spawn rooms one either side of the 2 starting exit tunnels would lessen the initial total spawn camping that could happen

Capture point A, whilst it looks like there are a few possible "good" sentries positions, by approaching from the left hand entrance it is possible to destroy them quite easily - I think the building could use a little tweaking to make it so that classes have to strafe round corners to fire shots off at the key sentry locations (i.e 2fort flag room)

Also the general openess of the area A section makes it favour hitscan weapons, a few more bits of cover / areas blocking the view to the tunnel entrances from various angles would help preventing the dreaded "sniperfest" that i would imagine alot of public server players opting for. for example on dustbowl its entirely feasable to snipe and take out key classes however most good sniper spots will only allow you to cover a specific area,

The alternate tunnel to B - i can totally see why this tunnel has been put into the map but i honestly think the map would play better without it or with some modification, as soon as point a is capped the tunnel is a prime route for capping b easily , for the red team they will have to fall back totally and maintain cover on this passage or simply lose the game, unfortunately this immediate falling back to cover the final point means the really interesting routes through the large building where choke points are in place and largely ignored, my suggestion would be to re-route the tunnel so the exit isnt so close to the red base meaning the choke point still has some use and there is an alternate route that can be used to flank.

Point B - Honestly compared to point A i found the platform to be a letdown - if im going to have to defend a point for 10-15mins it needs to be a little more fortified than a wide open platform, I couldnt find 1 "good" sentry postion that wasn't destroyable from 100yd rocket spam, i think plenty more cover maybe some narrowing of playable terrain and possbily replacing platform B with a more fortified building would make the map play better.

Anyway i hope you take this as constructive critcim as i did enjoy the map and thought visually it was one of the better looking custom to have been made (and it wouldnt have made it onto my server for testing otherwise)

If you need a busy server to public playtest in the future im sure i could arrange an hour or 2 slot in the evenings if given some preparation time.

Logo

Oct 25, 2007
and snipers cant do much against sentrys cant they?

If a sniper can line up a shot against a sentry that's not firing on him (or firing from a long enough distance to give him a second to shoot) he's one of the best classes to take out the sentry. He can a) deal a massive amount of damage to the sentry at once making it hard for the engy to keep up repair, b) snipe the engy repairing it first.

Snipergen

Nov 16, 2007
@ Paria. I dont know if i played with you this morning but an hour ago i had the best playtest ever. I really know what to do know, the things you mention are very true to the last word. I thank you for writing this down for me :)
Just: the tunnel... i thought it played very well, they went more trough the red building than the tunnel. Im also thinking of making the tunnel 1 way only (the 1 way ends in the middle of it in the large area)

Ive noticed this:

-A gets capped to quickly
-B doesnt get capped

-> to do, find balance

-respawn times for each team isn't fair.

-its a constant movement of the battlefield, sometimes red even goed spawn camping after 15 minutes. = fun for red but pissing blue off.

-In the beginning blue breaks trough with no problems, so if anybody complains about spawn camping again im gonna ignore it. They break trough easy.

-A is too open, i have already drawn a picture in my mind to adjust things

-setup time has to be bigger than 60 seconds->make blue spawn more fun (blasting yourself 60 seconds is boring, have to find something original to look at)

-fps, quite shit, that is one of my primairy goals too.

What i see in the map, what suprised me... a lot of medics and heavys trying to get ubers. That was awesome.

Man gonna be a lot of work again but its so worth it! ON TO BETA 3!

LOL: found the map on a japanese server.. they somehow didnt kill eachother, they were all chatting and not doing anything o_O

Last edited:

Snipergen

Nov 16, 2007
omg today they didnt got the chance to capture A :D

resulted it spawn camping... but that happens in dustbowl too and with some ubers they break trough =)

just watched reservoir dogs :D