Wildwater

KotH Wildwater a11

Adawby

L1: Registered
Jun 11, 2015
koth_wildwater - small alpine themed koth map that uses mirrored symmetry

This is a small Koth map with an alpine theme. It's my first real attempt at making a TF2 map. The map is downloaded via dropbox link provided and is already packed for you! If you had feedback, please provide it! I'm a relatively new mapper and advice would be very helpful towards the development of the map.

inb4 jokes about badwater

Edit:
Thanks to A Boojum Snark for his nifty resource pack and Valve for koth_sawmill particle effects

Last edited:

Adawby

Jun 11, 2015
a2 has arrived an not much has changed to be honest.

I fixed a displacement that I had forgotten to sow (though the part that needed fixing was very small and not very noticeable)

I also removed a rain particle effect that I had accidentally left in, I also tweaked my water textures a bit.

The biggest change is minor as all I did was add a few overlays. Specifically, I added overlays to the ammo/health pickups so players know where they spawn. I also added an overlay to the signs near the point to display which side is which.

I might look towards heavily tweaking the waterfall and adding signs for a3. Thanks you and have a good day. (PS: If you want to, you can provide some feedback which is helpful for a person like me since I'm still kinda new to mapping).

Read the rest of this update entry...

Bud Calypso

Jul 28, 2015
Hey there,

I'm pretty impressed that you avoided practically all issues that first maps usually have:
  • the overall scale isn't too big if a bit too small maybe
  • the scale of the single areas should be all right
  • clipping, cubemaps, lighting, logic, etc. - you got it all
  • no obviously horrible sightlines
  • not too complicated
This may be taken for granted but it isn't for a first map - so congratulations on that.

If you haven't already you should submit it to an imp. As no theory can replace a test.

Nevertheless here are some thoughts of mine:

Overall it might be a bit too simplistic and small to be interesting in the longterm

1Hu213V.png

One quick option could be to widen the map a tad and shift the structures a bit apart from another if you like to keep the overall layout.
This way you create more corners and by that more options for gameplay.

Wx0Iv7c.jpg

This displacement is not nice to look at, but no problem to walk on, so don't mind for an alpha.
If the waterfall was intended to block the view there, it's a nice idea and may work.
But a better solution would be to shift it a bit forward to break that sightline like in the first pic, imo.

XMXM2Tj.jpg

If you don't want any other obstacles or height variations here, shifting the buildings to be not aligned would also make this yard in front of spawn less blank.

EKI2ayN.jpg

This will most likely be a sniper spot. Though it finally can be flanked by the waterfall-path to the left, it covers all sides which is generally a bit problematic. But test it out to see if the distance is short enough.

R39qVf5.jpg

The point itself is probably a bit too small. But you placed the cover for it generally right. As the upper area (which would allow spamming on the point) at the waterfall is covered and one has to jump on the exposed platform of the other side to do the same.

UUvSiC1.jpg

hwldvd2.jpg

dN72SHl.jpg

There's nothing completely wrong with a ratio of 1:2 for ramps, but as long as there is space to do so, it's more comfortable to move and fight + nicer to look at if you use a higher ratio, like 2:3.

B7QcR1M.jpg

That the buildings are swamp-like uplifted is a nice touch, but the lines it creates look a bit odd. Maybe break them up with beams or completely on one side.
Dy0wR0t.jpg

You can get stuck here while walking up this ladder.

It was also hard at some occasions to jump out of the riverbed in the mid of the map.
I suggest add a spot where you can walk out of it on both sides, instead of having to jump most definitely.

Good luck with this and your future projects.

Bud

Adawby

Jun 11, 2015
Thanks for the feedback Bud! Took the extra mile to provide pics, I might delay a3 to make a few changes that you noted in your post. The waterfall mist by the way is something I've been meaning to tweak, I don't like the clipping effect into the narrow path but considering that place is a deathzone I might consider reworking the area so there is more space to maneuver. Thanks also for pointing out the prop stairs, I played with the ladder props a little bit, I didn't get stuck but i'd rather listen to feedback so definitely gonna see what I can do about that prop ladder. Buildings info is also very nice, I tried to keep em close to mitigate the flat ground in between them, but it looks like I'm better off making them a more dynamic shape. Again, thanks for the feedback!

(PS: if any other folk would like to give feedback it would be greatly appreciated)

Bud Calypso

Jul 28, 2015
I might delay a3 to make a few changes that you noted in your post.

Take all the time you need to like it yourself. Only rush it if you're close to uninstall hammer. :)

I personally like the waterfall mist but make it your map. More space to maneuver there is surely an improvement.
You might consider that for under the platform at the opposite side too.

I wasn't blocked by the stairprop itself iirc. It was by the wall where the brushes meet, see screenshot. I guess that's why valve maps playerclip
most of the walls of their buildings.

You have to figure out if shifting the buildings like i suggested is the best solution to make it more dynamic. It sure is a start but you have plenty of other options. I was just working with what you built as I don't want to spoil your imagination by adding too much.

Way more useful than my theories will be the feedback and demo of the imp it was part of, yesterday.
In case you didn't submit it yourself and havn't noticed yet: you will always find these on the feedback-page.

Unluckily I wasn't online and didn't take part, but maybe next time.

Cya,

Bud

Adawby

Jun 11, 2015
G'day all, a3 has arrived and alot has changed in the map. I based this update off feedback given and from the imp test that the map undertook.

Anyways heres the changes listed:

- Reworked the spawns/bases so there is now a top and bottom exit and made it easier to go in and out of the base. The top exit via ramp allows you access the main house in front of spawn along the suspended area. This gives a nice height advantage when exiting spawn. The area in front of the spawn is larger and provides a nice high ground before going to the flat dirt area in front of spawn. Overall, the spawn rooms should feel fresher and the area in front of spawn less empty.

- Updated the water so it is now deep enough to swim along with the addition of dirt ramps to exit the water. This change is a result of feedback from players stating that the water did not extinguish them and it was difficult to exit the water.

- Reworked the waterfall area, it is no longer a single straight path. The waterfall flank route is more open and has a wall that divides the once narrow path. You can go around the wall and continue inside the little path. The ammo pack has also been removed and another small healthpack was added to the central area of the path.

- Added a sawblade in the building next to boardwalk, the large ammo and health pickups have been positioned to be close to saw for a risk vs reward pickup.

- Added two small ammo packs at the back of the windowed buildings near the waterfall. This is to provide a reason to go back there and also compensate for the fact that the large ammo pack in the middle of the waterfall path was removed.

- Made the capture zone slightly larger and decreased the amount of time needed to cap to 7 from 9 seconds. These changes will hopefully make it less dangerous and easier to cap the capture point.

- Some other minor changes were made like fixing some displacements that weren't sowed and changing the overlay on the blue sign.

That's all folks! Enjoy, and provide feedback if you can as it would be really helpful.

Adawby

Jun 11, 2015
Hello everyone, I am back from the dead! (not that many would care) Ahem... Anyways college is a rough place when it comes to schedules, I found my free time being gobbled up by assignments left and right. With my spring semester nearing a close however, I've oddly been receiving fewer assignments than usual which has allowed me to work on the map and push this long-overdue update that I started earlier this year.

Anyways, I'm not gonna go on too much about my life so here are the changes:

- Added signs! This is dumb I know but considering I didn't know what to call this update I just went with Signs since well... that's something new lol. The signs in the level point to the capture point so your less likely to get lost in the small map now.

- Added new platforms to the wooden buildings with a slanted roof towards the point. This change was made to spice things up a bit more on the boardwalk flank and also provide powerful but exposing high ground. Since the slanted roof building has many entrances/exits taking care of any enemies camping this new area shouldn't be too hard. Nonetheless it's still high ground.

- Made the point a little bit more larger and added a window so anybody from the waterfall path can take a small peek through the wierd 'cave holes' the waterfall path has. The size increase is based on the last imp test that happened where the size of the point was still a little small. Hopefully this size is up to a small yet still acceptable standard.

- Edited the overlays underneath ammo/health pickups to make them slightly larger and more easily visible.

- Moved the Large ammo pack near the sawblade to the front where the Large health pack is. This change is a result of the fact that sometimes people would completely miss and not see the large ammo pack.

- Some other insignificant changes.

Well that is all for now, enjoy! If you can, provide some feedback as it would be really helpful!

Adawby

Jun 11, 2015
Hello everyone, I am back again after some period of time with a new update to the map. To be honest I feel like I'll be posting updates every few months due to personal reasons, but considering it is a hobby of mine I hope you'll will understand. Anyhow this update is of course based on the last imp test I did way back when and have focused changes based on feedback along with things I viewed that may be troublesome in the future. Here are the changes:

1. Reworked the waterfall to have a more natural look. The waterfall path is still pretty much the same except it now looks more natural and realistic thanks to some rock props that also came with matching mirror pairs which ensured the gameplay part of the map wasn't compromised. If anything the area where the health packs is inside the little cave structure behind the waterfall should feel narrower.

2. Made the control point larger. This is directly from my last imp, in my previous attempts I tried to have a small control point, but since it is inside a small structure it was never going to work due to the level of spam that could just clog the point. Nonetheless spam will still happen since it is a control point, but the structure is much larger to hopefully cope with it.

3. Removed the covered up jagged displacements on the first buildings from the spawn zones and replaced them with a simple prop to indicate damage. This is purely a cosmetic change but I got out early as players became confused when playing sniper as they could not shoot through the small holes made by the boards onto the area before them. This went along with the fact that displacements are pretty pricey and ultimately made me remove this bad idea that's been around since a1.

4. Adjusted the sawblade and large pickups in the cabin located in the epicenter of the boardwalk. This change is a result of me testing the sawblade and how the large packs situated next to them offered the saw kills to players picking up the pickups. In testing I noticed the hitbox of the sawblade was nowhere capable of coming in contact with the player upon picking up the drops. As such the drops and sawblade are as they were intended where the large pickups are useful but risky to get.

5. Added screens to the halfway point on the boardwalk going to the point. This change was made as the area was very open and left players exposed as they crossed the area. This change makes the path to the point safer.

6. Some other minor changes

Well that's all the changes in this update, I'll see you'll again in a few months (lol). Before I leave here are some problems I am aware of:

- Brightness of overall map
- Textures not lining up/bad orientation
- Some clipping and blockbullets issues
- Non-Accessible roofs not being portrayed
- Lighting (notably on bulbs and dark areas
- Sightlines
- A small problem where the resupply kit triggers are for the wrong resupply kit (this is for same team triggers, so a blue trigger is NOT in red team base. Also I noticed this problem after posting this update with everything written up this: . <- Point).

Farewell for now and have good day/night. (PS: Part of the next update will be to give purpose to the boarded off buildings near the spawn rooms and also updating the screenshots.)

Adawby

Jun 11, 2015
Hello everyone! It is I Adawnby (although known here on TF2 maps as Adawby because I messed up and forgot the N when registering) and I bring forth version a6 of koth_wildwater! Ok in all honestly it isn't all that exciting as it was me realizing a5 download gives you the vmf file of the map and not the compiled bsp as it should be (my bad lol).

Anywho a6 brings up quite a few changes and considering I forgot what I added since a5 I'll try to explain what's new without repeating things I've already changed before.

1. Roofs on buildings are now more detailed and more notable if they are able to be blast jumped onto. Previously players would not know what roofs were accessible, now it should be a bit easier to identify which roofs are accessible. However, don't be fooled by the new laser on top of the capture building, it's for aesthetic, yes, but the roof is very much so accessible.

2. Added new ramps and improved the ability to get out of the water in the middle of the map. There are now team colored wooden ramps where simple dirt ramps used to be which will allow players much more ease when leaving the water while also knowing which side they are going to. In addition the automatic getting out of water has been improved and now you can exit the water near the tree at the middle of the map far more easily. Speaking of the middle and water... the undersection of the capture building is much more streamline and less cluttered.

3. Going off from point 2, the capture point has been greatly changed. the wonky ramps that lead into the point are now stairs that lead into a new extension of the boardwalk around the capture building. This in my opinion adds more options and flexibility to the capture building.

4. Made the once boarded off mini-buildings accessible. These buildings once served no purpose and now they act as a small passage with a cracked/broken wall exit. Before these exits are small pickups. To compensate for these new pickup additions, the small healthpack in the slanted roof buildings have been removed leaving only a medium ammo pack due to their close proximity.

5. Added new screenshots. Ehh im overglorifying this bit, but hey at least they are finally up to date as of a6.

That's all folks, im sure there are changes I didn't address but you'll surely note when you load up the new version of the map. As always, drop feedback if possible and have a great day!

PS: Before I go I might have forgotten the bugged resupply kit animation triggers that I addressed in my known problems from my previous post. I completely forgot about this and don't know if its fixed since I just remembered about it when posting this update. Please let me know I fixed it, if it's not then when using a resupply locker the animation for opening it will occur on the other locker for the same team spawn. Also I want to note that considering im still sort of in experimental alpha phase I've decided to shelf doing lighting and have scaled back my efforts for detailing as a whole until I can get the general gameplay aspect of the map to a level that is acceptable. It doesn't mean I won't ever do detailing or lighting however so don't stop your feedback on that! Lastly, if you know any really good tutorials on specifically lighting please tell me, I think I got the jist of texture manipulation and what not, but to date I can't find an easy to understand lighting tutorial.

Billo

aa
Feb 8, 2016
Hey!
i want to say that i am impressed from your first ever attempt to make a tf2 map. if you see my first ever map i just spammed all the map with props and made an arena (themed map) which logic doesnt even work :p
i see you added many features too, like a spinning saw,water and more.
i would suggest making the control point somewhere open - not in a building.
its not a bad idea to put a control point into a building just make sure there is space for players to have a battle.
overall, good job with the map and keep up the good work.

Adawby

Jun 11, 2015
Back again with another release from the hobby that is making a map... Was going to push this update out earlier but I forgot a few things and combined with the holidays I'm pretty sure everyone knows why I got delayed. In any case, update a7 adds quite a bit of a change to the map. I strive to try and deliver from the imp tests of each version and I've taken in feedback as usual to improve the map. Aside from the fact that I likely won't be seen for a time again after this since another semester of college is up my ally I'll try to keep in touch to update the screenshots of the map again since the center has received quite the facelift. Anywho, enough blabbing from me, it's time for the changes!

1. Updated the center of the map:

Yes I get the idea, the cap is small so of course I delivered despite my frustration and made the cap slightly bigger again. But it did seem like the size of the cap was alone not the problem, the narrow boardwalk around the cap didn't leave much room to move around. The tight spaces were a genuine concern so I delivered. Additionally the water was made deeper underneath the cap since pretty much users couldn't go underwater and their view was above the surface. It was pretty akward from my perspective so I made the water portion deep enough to dive in. Lastly, the tree stumps next to the stairs were removed since users could get stuck between the stairs and stump.

2. The spawnrooms get an improved second floor:

The spawnrooms have received a notable change in that the ramparts inside the base are now larger allowing for a second floor to exists. Additionally some spawnpoints are now on the second floor of the bases which should improve the relevance of the exit on the second floor that was previously ignored since it was off to the side.

Well those two are the major changes as everything else was minor in comparison or not so easily noticable. Things like minor cliping adjustments and the addition of new lighting and the sort fit into the minor changes. Speaking of lighting, any links to useful tutorials and info concerning lighting would be much appreciated by an amateur map making noob like me lol.

Hope everyone had a good holiday season (as of this post) and i'll see you'll around.

PS: Do expect the screenshots of the updated current a7 version of the map to come late, since im starting a new semester of college.

Adawby

Jun 11, 2015
Hello folks, Adawnby is back with another update to this map. With another semester of college soon ending, I've managed to get some work done on the map. Unfortunately the work isn't entirely drastic. Several things need to be addressed such as the skybox, lighting, texture issues, etc... I've managed to patch out the worst problems and drastic changes may soon be on the horizon. Anywho this is a small update that adds a few changes. Without further-ado let's begin!

- Updated the middle of the map to make it more open. This is a continuation of me trying to open up the middle from feedback that I receive from IMP tests. I've made the middle more open so as to allow more movement.

- Added a deathpit behind the waterfall pass. I'll admit the waterfall pass isn't all that great being so narrow, I'm looking into changing the geometry to make it more spacious. For now a deathpit there is!

- Updated the ammo and health pickups in buildings near the middle and in the waterfall pass. The buildings on each respective side closest to the middle have been updated. In particular the ammo packs that were inside the concrete building have been changed to a single ammo pack and moved outside to where the barrels are. In it's place is a medium healthkit to provide incentive to go to back of the building. The waterfall pass's small ammo packs have been converted to a single medium health pack and is now accompanied by a medium ammo pack. This change is to provide more incentive to take the waterfall flanking route.

- Added new (updated) screenshots! A promise is a promise, so there are some new screenshots on display. The map still looks unappealing as heck but hey it's Alpha for the time being, plus this is a learning process for me.

- Other minor changes regarding some textures and optimization with no-draw.

Overall a small update, I make it appear massive but trust me I've been making some critical thinking on some much needed face-lifting for the map. Unfortunately college is still ongoing and since map-making is a hobby don't expect anything for a couple of months again. Ciao and take care everyone!

Adawby

Jun 11, 2015
Hello! As usual it has been a while since the last map update but nonetheless here it is! Little by little im working to improve the map design/layout and hopefully one of these days I'll be able to move onto beta to art-pass the map. For the meantime here's whats in this update:

Waterfall facelift
- This is a work in progress but I've made some positive changes on the waterfall flanking route. The cave is much more spacious to make up for the narrow entrances. In addition a new pass around the cave that is outside is available in order to reach the other side of the map. In the middle of this pass is a small rock formation with a medium health pack as it is in the middle of the open. It's less claustrophobic than going inside the game but could at the same time be more dangerous as it leaves you exposed. At the same time the cave still has the death-pit and the health-kit inside has been downgraded from medium to small. Overall the waterfall path has much needed work but here's a little taste of what's to come.

Can I jump on that?
- Just like the waterfall this is a work in progress in that i've been adding some details and other notable indicators so players can tell if they can jump onto the roof of buildings. Hopefully if nothing drastic occurs i'll be able to make the buildings distinguished on which you can jump onto and those that cannot be scaled.

The little things
- As usual minor changes occurred an of course they usually concern textures, displacements, etc... very small tweaks that I'm sure everyone understands doesn't need a long post about the details.

Welp that's all! (Well not much). I'll look forward to the next update just as anyone would. Map-making is a slow and tedious process for me so as usual expect a long wait for an update. Cheers and Adios for now!

Adawby

Jun 11, 2015
Welp it feels like its been ages since I did one of these. Having once again found alot of spare time this winter (as of typing this) I have had the opportunity to work on the map and what better way than to give it as much as I got for this update! This is the biggest update i've done to Wildwater since maybe a5 or a6 but needless to say I've been hard at working ironing out problems to solidify the map design. Looks and rambling about the map aside lets get down to business shall we?

Changelog (color coated major changes at start descending to small):

-Overhauled the Waterfall area: Removed cave and death pit. Added a rock outcrop protruding from the waterfall rock with a medium hp kit it accessible from either side by wooden planks. The waterfall has been a thorn in the map's design and I've finally decided to get rid of the narrow cave and replaced with a straight shoot with a simple yet still true the original purpose of the area, rock outcrop. The medium health kit provides incentive to take this route and use it to flank without being as confined. In addition the cover has been re-adjusted for sightlines and the mist from the waterfall can mask flank approaches from this area. Overall its a much simpler flank route that I hope ends up being much more well received than the disaster waterfall cave.

-Added some basic optimization to improve map framerate. The center of the map proved to decrease framerate so I added some more optimization to counter-act the frame loss. Although it will be difficult to tell since my computer is one of many I believe everyone will a see a notable improvement in performance.

-Widened several doorways on the map: The map being confined as it was could pose a problem for classes that like to move around alot like scout and spy. With widened doorways all classes will have a much better experience transitioning indoors and outdoors due to the less confined nature leading into such indoor areas or exiting them.

-Fixed a nasty bug (that thankfully I discovered and no one experienced) where the engineer class could clip through some geometry to build a teleporter next to the sawblade's kill trigger causing anyone who teleported to instantly die.

-Changed the small wooden shack near the spawn bases: The rear of the building is now a cleaner looking and much larger open window from the previous destroyed wall that can be used as an entrance or exit.

-Relocated and changed the size of a few of the ammo/health pickups particularly near the waterfall area to cope with its removal.

- Some other minor changes such as doing a little guilty-pleasure detailing on the map

Alas that is all and now I take my leave once more for who knows how long. Till next time!

- Adawnby

Adawby

Jun 11, 2015
Heyo! Welp with the holidays rolling around I managed to find alot of time on my hands and got the last version of the map (a10) tested. Needless to say I also found this plenty of time to initiate changes and release for a11. So yeah here we are... I'm looking forward to being active on the map development this winter unless something comes up...

Alright that is enough rambling from me anyways here is the changelog:

(Color coated and organized from major changes at top - minor at bottom)

- Edited health/ammo layout. By edit I did mostly additions and moving of packs to improve the map. It was observed that players ended up constantly relying on obvious but not very strong pickup placements resulting in difficulty for trying to push onto the point while the center of the map boasted bountiful pickups for defenders. Hopefully with these changes players won't waste time looking for pickups or linger around obvious but weak (small) pickups. I note this change as quite major considering how bad the problem with the previous iteration's pickups were in comparison to the changes made for this new iteration.

- Greatly reduced waterfall mist and added a func_nobuild on the rock outcrop. The waterfall's presence with its overpowering mist greatly hindered sight and allowed for players to attack and hide behind the waterfall with ease which conversely allowed engineers to place hidden sentries. These changes make the waterfall area more exposed and greatly hinders classes such as the engineer from abusing the stealth provided by the waterfall.

- Added a small building off to each team's respective side of the cliff wall near spawn. This building isn't really all that of note and acts more to draw the attention of players to use this route. It does however also have a slight function of blocking a long sightline that I discovered which stretched from the top of the high ground near the spytech building all the way down this flank to spawn. Hopefully these changes will make this route more attractive especially with the presence of pickups.

- Removed some clutter from the center of the map, notably the two prop sniper fences from the front of the slanted building's balcony.

- and of course... some other minor changes.

That's all I got expect an a12 not too far along in the future if nothing irl prevents me from working on the map. Ciao for now!

- Adawnby