Whistlepost

KotH Whistlepost a2_reupload

Kube

Not the correct way to make lasagna
aa
Aug 31, 2014
Here's an updated CTF version of my map Whistlepost, which originally featured a custom gamemode (which was pretty confusing to a lot of people). Note- Sorry for the console text on the screenshots, I'm too lazy to retake them!

Original Header:
This map features a KotH/CTF mix, where the intelligence is needed to capture the point. If this gamemode has been done before and you know of a map that uses it, please link to it below, as I'm not sure if this is a completely new concept. This is also my second map released, so it's either going to be my best or my worst. It takes heavy inspiration from 2fort, but I made sure to try to avoid the choke-related problems 2fort faces, which I think will help both the gamemode and its gameplay. I probably won't even submit this to a Gameday! ::p:

To-do (more like "to-probably-not-do)":
  • Overlays disappear after compile?
  • Fix disappearing chunk of brush?
  • Fix skybox issues?
  • Compile with custom prefix?
  • Make displacements (once the areas are finalized)

Thanks to...

Older Map Versions:
koth-
a2 -
a1 - https://www.mediafire.com/?9lb37orvuias5rb

And yes, I know that this is a very detailed alpha. That's just how I roll!

Last edited:

Egan

aa
Feb 14, 2010
What I wanted to say was that: at the beginning of the match players rush to mid (are confused a bit but that comes with all new gamemodes), and then one team pushes the other back to their respective base & spawn. The hold seems to mostly stay pressured on the intel area, and never seemed to go back to mid again even though that's where the attackers should be defending. Like how they say that "the best defense is a good offense".

It seemed unlikely that you could dwindle past the people pressuring your intel room/spawn and perhaps make any good impact against them. If you even did manage to get their intel and take it to mid to capture the koth point they still control the map and will resolve it quickly.

Your first priority should probably be to resolve the intense pressure one team is able to give to the other, maybe shrinking the map a bit and letting players move away from the back of their base to move around the enemy better. Or shorter respawns if you haven't done that yet - I'm not sure.

A similarly made map to look at would be MLJ's ctf_redplanet from 2014's summer 72 hour contest. His map uses ctf koth but with one neutral flag, pushing it to the enemy intel captures your point. I think your gamemode could still work to be original, perhaps, though. Could probably make a unique narrative involving taking enemy things and stuffing them down something at mid to gain control of the map.

Kube

aa
Aug 31, 2014
Map Version Alpha 2 released! Enjoy!

Kube

aa
Aug 31, 2014
Map gamemode changed to CTF, because the custom gamemode was apparently, you guessed it...

I'm most likely leaving this project for a while (probably forever). But who knows, maybe I'll show sudden interest in it again like with plr_promontory...

Last edited: