Which Theme for new KOTH Map?

Which theme to use?

• Quarry that has been filled in with water

Votes: 9 31.0%
  • Cove near a beach with cliffs on one side and rocks/sea on the other

Votes: 9 31.0%
  • Swamp

Votes: 7 24.1%
  • Construction Yard (similar to Quarry idea)

Votes: 4 13.8%

• Total voters

Jimmy Nicholls

L2: Junior Member
Feb 15, 2011
Viaduct is Tundra.
Lumberyard is Alpine.

Ok since you guys keep going on about it, I'm just not that interested in making a map with lots of snow at the minute. I won't rule out the use of Alpine because I really like that theme, but something like Viaduct is out of the question, just personal taste.

Too much water in a map doesn't suit gameplay very well. Nor do restrictive ramps/platforms.

Some of that is good to mix in, but not a whole map of it imo.

Mapping is as much about imposing restrictions as about giving players freedom of movement. The important thing is that the map is balanced and fun. It won't necessarily be an easy map to build, but hopefully when I'm done and its gone through some testing and edits it will be a fresh, fun experience.

Water nerfs pyros. It also nerfs demos ability to shoot (underwater their bombs barely go anywhere).

It makes you move slower, makes players harder to see, etc...

Most of this map is buildings, it just so happens it hangs over water. Inside the buildings the pyros will be powerful, on the ramps and in the water they will be useless. So they will avoid the water, same as a sensible sniper doesn't try capping the point on his onesies. Contrary to Valve's policy, I'm not seeking to continually fix every weakness of every class. You play the class you pick, you don't demand dominance over every section of the map.

And engies either need nobuild or they can hide a sentry in the water which is impossible to see.

That is a good point, and I'll bear that in mind.

platforms give jumping classes too much power. A soly or scout can bounce all over and other classes are stuck to very restricted paths.

It'll be balanced out, don't worry.

There's basically an official koth map for every official theme, so the only way to be different is to create your own theme.

That's also true.

Rather than spend lots of time arguing about it, the proof of the pudding will be in the eating. I'm aiming to do an hour or so a night on the map, but even then it will be a matter of weeks before I have something that's testable. Then I'll start making adjustments, and you can argue about how good or bad you think it is.

RafaMann

L1: Registered
Feb 27, 2011
I voted quarry filled with water. Is kind of like the old industrial atmosphere, but with water on it.
Very cool what you're doing XD