What does everyone do for a living?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by drp, Feb 7, 2008.

1. drp

aa drp

Positive Ratings:
    Guess ill go first :)

CAD Drafter
    Work in the mechanical field with a manufacturing company who builds and services commercial kitchen equipment. Im in charge of the thousands of drawings and bill of materials.

What does everyone else do? :confused1:

2. YM

aa YM LVL100 YM

Positive Ratings:
    Studed at 6th form (A-levels)
    My ambition is to become a level designer for valve :D
    So I'l looking at games design courses in the UK aswell as in America, because I have to move at some point and I atually think it will be easier before Uni

3. roninmodern

roninmodern L3: Member

Positive Ratings:
    Floor manager of a mom and pop computer store.

4. drp

aa drp

Positive Ratings:
    do you do any modeling? (no not runway modeling lol)

5. YM

aa YM LVL100 YM

Positive Ratings:
    No I haven't ventured into modeling atall, hence why snipergen is making me a model.
    I'd love to try but I can't get any software cheaply and for some reason blender runs slower than defrag on my pc.
    I've used photoshop a lot and know my way around texture making reasonably well

6. drp

aa drp

Positive Ratings:
    you might be able to get a discount if you're a student through your school.
    or you can 'acquire' it. :closedeyes:

7. timberghost_paintball

timberghost_paintball L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
    I'm an art student studying game design. I mostly do modeling uv-mapping and texturing but I've gotten my feet wet in most areas of game development. I obviously use hammer and source sdk for some projects but I also use the torque engine, the free gamemaker engine, and flash.

btw Dr.pepper my dad in a mechanical engineer, he uses solidworks these days instead of cad

and Youme, the guy at the desk next to me is a British student studying game design here is the U.S.

8. YM

aa YM LVL100 YM

Positive Ratings:
    Timber - awesome, where abouts in the states are you and how did he go about moving there?

9. drp

aa drp

Positive Ratings:
    yea ive been pushing for us to get solid works but 'the man' here at work wont do it since it will require we upgrade all the computers. :sad:

10. Narkissus

Narkissus L5: Dapper Member

Positive Ratings:
    Going to school for Mechanical Engineering. We are using a program called Pro-E, or pro engineer right now.. i like it better then cad.

11. Nizzem

Nizzem L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
    I'm currently in school for video game design. Trying to get into level design.

12. Snipergen

Snipergen L13: Stunning Member

Positive Ratings:
  13. ryodoan

ryodoan Resident Bum

Positive Ratings:
    Currently in my 3rd year (outa 5) of a Computer Science degree.

I am in whats called Co-Op program where you work in your field for 2 quarters, then go to school for 2 quarters. So when I graduate I will have 2 years of work history in the field and have real world experience.

So, at the moment I am in the "Work" rotation at a Software Development company. To get technical for a moment we make "Application Lifecycle Management Software" basically we make a really popular Bug tracking program that a lot of big companies use (2k games use it), a Version Control Database (think cvs, subversion, perforce, Visual Source Safe to name a few others), and a test case automation program.

I work on the Version Control program. (currently writing / finishing an integration with NetBeans)

14. DJive

aa DJive Cake or Death?

Positive Ratings:
    Human Resource Manager at a CompUSA in Albany, NY... Well.. Till we are completely closed in 10 days =(

15. drp

aa drp

Positive Ratings:
    :sad:

ps. any good deals? :p

16. roninmodern

roninmodern L3: Member

Positive Ratings:
    They're being bought by Tigerdirect, why would there be good deals?

:p

17. drp

aa drp

Positive Ratings:
    tigerdirect? wow didnt know that.
    the times ive bought something from there have been ok, its the rebates that kill you.

18. TheBladeRoden

TheBladeRoden L7: Fancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    I am between college and work right now. :\/

19. ryodoan

ryodoan Resident Bum

Positive Ratings:
    I hate rebates, I buy them, fill them out, send them back in, then forget about them and forget to check up on them. There have been several that after about a year I will think, "Hey! I didnt get that rebate back..."

20. MacNetron

MacNetron L5: Dapper Member

Positive Ratings:
    I'm a Java programmer (but you can throw a lot of programming languages at me).
    At the current job, I'm part of a team developing an application for insurance companies (web, java, soap, a bit of db's, ...).