Water "cuts" through models and brushes

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by luxatile, Aug 18, 2009.

1. luxatile

aa luxatile deer

Positive Ratings:
    [​IMG]

Why?

This happens to models and brushes, but not displacements. Ragdolls in the water also get a similar effect.

EDIT: I don't have leaks.

2. Fraz

aa Fraz Blu Hatte, Greyscale Backdrop.

Positive Ratings:
    I'm guessing it's weird shadows or something. Have you treid using more than one water brush instead?

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. luxatile

aa luxatile deer

Positive Ratings:
    No, I haven't, but then again I can't do that when it comes to models. And they have the same problem.

4. Nutomic

Nutomic L11: Posh Member

Positive Ratings:
    Have you set cubemaps, and are they 50 units or so above the water? Already had some strange bug with the water, when my cubemap was stuck at the height of the water brush.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. alecom

alecom L8: Fancy Shmancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    50? I thought they were meant to be 16 units away from linked faces...

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. VelvetFistIronGlove

aa VelvetFistIronGlove

Positive Ratings:
    Cubemaps should be approximately at player eye-height; but this isn't a cubemap issue, this is the normal behaviour for the water shader and world brushes (although the effect might vary depending on your graphics card). I'm not sure if it happens with func_detailed brushes or not. But do you still see the effect if you cut the brushes at the water height, so there's one above water and one below?

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. alecom

alecom L8: Fancy Shmancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    But

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. Owlruler

Owlruler L12: Fabulous Member

Positive Ratings:
    This is due to the water. It's meant to be 'murky' and be moving so it takes the area around it and distorts it. This means you CAN'T fix this problem with this water texture.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. luxatile

aa luxatile deer

Positive Ratings:
    Wow, if this is in fact an unsolvable issue that really, really sucks. I'll try what you said, VFIG, and I'll move my cubemap closer just in case. Thanks, everyone.

10. Terr

aa Terr Cranky Coder

Positive Ratings:
    I get similar issues when I'm underwater and I look up: The blue of the sky has similar "bleed/cut" effects around the edges of the walls. (Yes, I have some env_cubemap entities nearby...)

11. Sgt Frag

Sgt Frag L14: Epic Member

Positive Ratings: