VPK doesn't extract

MOCOLONI

L6: Sharp Member
Dec 16, 2014
Last month I found out that no longer can I just drop a VPK archive into vpk.exe (or a shortcut) to extract the contents said archive; all it does is generate the folders found within the archive, but not the actual files in them. It will still, however, successfully generate an archive.

Counter-Strike: Source's VPK.exe by that time still worked up until an update it received last week from 2 months ago, and it also doesn't work anymore. I checked for parameters but nothing new in terms of extraction. Right now I have to make use of GCFScape to extract content. Does anyone know something about this?

DrSquishy

we've all had better times to die
aa
Feb 10, 2017
This is fascinating. Testing with source SDK base 2013 (multiplayer) and tf2's, they have both been updated in the past few months; both fail in extracting; and both fail with an error when doing a single file extraction (x <vpk> <file> they both error out with 'unable to create <file>'). Permissions seemed to be fine for both, and I tried running them as administrator yet nothing changed. VPK version doesn't seem to make a difference either (tried changing the header of a v2 VPK to v1 to no success).
Finally, I tried with Fist Full of Frags, and it seems to extract just fine. This one hasn't been updated in a while, so I'm curious as to what may have changed to break this functionality.