Visleaf issue

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by Tenn1502, Aug 5, 2015.

1. Tenn1502

Tenn1502 L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    Hello friends!

Got a small-ish render problem, the game wont really load the map and the one it does run looks like this:
    [​IMG]

Here's the compile log. I'm guessing the whole "zero area child patch" isn't explicitly normal.

Thanks so much for taking a look!

2. sevin

aa sevin

Positive Ratings:
    You ran vvis in fast. You will often have issues in-game with fastvis. Visibility often doesn't take very long to compile in a level with proper func_detailing so you should just stick to compiling with full vis. You also have a bunch of zero child patches which means you have vrad trying to calculate lighting for faces that don't exist. Maybe you have the skybox cutting geometry in a weird way?

Run your compile log through interlopers next time.

3. killohurtz

aa killohurtz Distinction in Applied Carving

Positive Ratings:
    Also this:

Overlay touching too many faces (touching 82, max 64)
    Overlay signs/hazard_yellow001_decal at -8.0 -288.0 0.0

Check that the overlay specified isn't on a displacement, overly complicated or carved geometry, or a really huge brush face.

4. YM

aa YM LVL100 YM

Positive Ratings:
    It's the overlay.
    I haven't had that issue for years, but it happened the other day to me and the exact symptoms were what your screenshot looks like.

5. Tenn1502

Tenn1502 L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    Wow! It's been a while since I worked on a map from scratch, that website is awesome!

Problem's fixed! Thanks for the help.

6. sevin

aa sevin

Positive Ratings:
    Alternatively, you can use CompilePal to compile and it will automatically check your compile log against the Interlopers error checker when the compile is finished. Super handy!