+use buttons?

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by littleboyred1, Jul 31, 2011.

1. littleboyred1

littleboyred1 L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    Hey, i'm working on a Zombie Fortress map, and it's almost done, but i want to add a little secret to where if you have a key bound to +use, you can press that key on a func_button to spawn a health pack. BUT when i compile the map with everything seemingly set up right with the inputs, outputs, entities, etc... the button does nothing when i use my use key on it. Surely there's a way to make it work?

Also, i don't want to have to use damage to activate it. Mostly because that'd make it too easy to find the secret.

Please help? -Littleboyred

2. fubarFX

aa fubarFX The "raw" in "nodraw"

Positive Ratings:
    the server needs to have tf_allow_player_use 1 in its config in order to use +use.
    to test it on your local machine, just type "tf_allow_player_use 1" in the console

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Wander

Wander L3: Member

Positive Ratings:
    I wouldn't recommend doing that though, most servers will keep tf_allow_player_use to 0, keeping it at 1 allows for some exploits at some maps, for example doors that are set to open on +use.

I ran into that issue on my communities zf server, we had tf_allow_player_use to 1 because of the secret in zf_industry, but it turned out people were now able to open every door with +use in zf_chillchain (instead of by capturing the CPs) and zf_nightcrop.

A better way would simply be turning it into a button that players can shoot or melee, rather than using +use.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2011