Tweaking Hammer for use on a dual monitor setup?

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by 404UNF, Oct 31, 2012.

1. 404UNF

404UNF No longer a "TF2 Beta/Cut Content Historian".

Positive Ratings:
    I remember seeing a thread that featured some dual-monitor setup images here on TF2Maps quite a while ago (speaking of, I've been REALLY inactive here as of late, what with work and all).

However, I can't find it now. Essentially, what I'm looking to do is have Hammer set up like this:

Monitor #1 (Left) will have the "Top (X/Y)", "Front (Y/Z)" and "Side (X/Z)" viewports, plus the rest of the GUI in general.

Monitor #2 (Right) will have the "Camera" viewport, set to 3D Textured.

Here's why I'm posting this. I don't know how to "move" the "Camera" viewport from the main Hammer screen, into its own window, and then fullsize it onto my second monitor. How do I accomplish this?

EDIT: For some reason now, the viewports have separated from each other and each have their own "Window". How do I re-merge them?

Last edited: Oct 31, 2012
  2. Bermuda Cake

Bermuda Cake L9: Fashionable Member

Positive Ratings:
  3. 404UNF

Positive Ratings:
    Tried CTRL+F. All it did was stretched out the main viewport to cover the entire viewport area, and Hammer didn't spill over onto my second monitor.

That nodraw.net link shows basically what I'm trying to do, though I'm finding it hard to find exact instructions on that article.

4. Seba

aa Seba DR. BIG FUCKER, PHD

Positive Ratings:
    There's a setting under Tools, Options for Independent Window Configuration. Click it.

5. 404UNF

Positive Ratings:
    *facepalm*

I know this, man. I actually went through that article and modified my settings to the same settings that are listed on that article.

The article mentions the ability to "undock" windows, but it doesn't mention how to do such a thing. I've tried Googling around, but I've found nothing.

I essentially know what I need to do, and it's undocking a window to drag over to my second monitor....I just don't know how to undock it.

6. Seba

aa Seba DR. BIG FUCKER, PHD

Positive Ratings:
    In the nodraw article, undocking referred to the toolbars (map tools, texture browser, point entity browser, etc), not the viewport windows. In order to get a new window, click window => new window, manually resize Hammer to fit your two screens, then move the viewport windows around however you like. You can't extend viewport windows outside Hammer's main window.

7. 404UNF

Positive Ratings:
    Ohhhhhhhhh. I get it now. Thanks :D

8. Bermuda Cake

Bermuda Cake L9: Fashionable Member

Positive Ratings:
    Sorry, I meant use ctrl-F on that website for "dual screens" to find the relevant bit of the article.

9. 404UNF

Positive Ratings:
    Quite alright! I've got the whole dual monitor set up just the way I like it.....but I'm running into another issue now.

I used VMEX to decompile cp_manor_event, then loaded up the cp_manor_event_d.vmf file into Hammer ("Source Engine MP" version). It gets to "33%" loaded, then Hammer just flat out closes itself without any error popups.

What gives >:L

10. Tarry H Sruman

Tarry H Sruman Large Orphanage Proprietor

Positive Ratings:
    Loading fully finished VMFs requires a lot of system resources and if your computer can't handle it it will sometimes crash.

11. 404UNF

Positive Ratings:
    My system can more than handle it. If I can load up ctf_2fort.vmf incredibly quickly, I should be able to load up cp_manor_event.vmf.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2012
  12. fubarFX

aa fubarFX The "raw" in "nodraw"

Positive Ratings:
    there was that one crash that would happen on 33% from a while ago, refreshing sdk content fixes that (if it's the same issue).

13. 404UNF

Positive Ratings:
    Funny thing is, I thought I screwed up the interface of Hammer, so earlier, I deleted the content for it and reinstalled it. I didn't do a clean reinstall of that excellent content pack from these forums though.

I'll try validating the files, reinstalling that pack, etc.