[TUTORIAL] func_monitor resolution calculation

SpookyToad

L1: Registered
Jun 2, 2017
Since FIT button corrupts texture when it's applied on monitor and you can't use it to fit monitor's texture on brush, I figured out how to calculate monitor's resolution!
1. Multiply Horizontal and Vertical H/U of func_monitor brush by 0.0009765625
2. Set Horizontal(X) and Vertical(Y) values at hammer by selecting face of monitor and changing X and Y values of texture scale field
3. Press L and T alignment buttons

[USING PROGRAM TUTORIAL]
I also wrote program that calculates func_monitor texture resolution as Fit button doesn't work

[TUTORIAL] PROGRAM VIDEO VERSION:
View: https://youtu.be/Me9rN7uQgsA

1. Import Horizontal and Vertical H/U values of func_monitor brush in program
  2. Set values given by program at hammer by selecting face of monitor and changing X and Y values of texture scale field
  3. Press L and T alignment buttons
You can download executable from my github page, including source code! Click me!

[BIG thanks to Semicolon Backslash for figuring out resolution on 64 and 32 units]

Attachments

• func_monitor_resolution_calculator.zip
    6.1 MB · Views: 139
Last edited:

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
I'm super out of the loop. WHEN DID THEY FIX FUNC_MONITOR IN TF2???

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
That sounds pretty cool, although not being able to switch between more than two light_environments makes it kind of useless. Unless they added a new way to change those too?

dabmasterars

L3: Member
Mar 20, 2023
That sounds pretty cool, although not being able to switch between more than two light_environments makes it kind of useless. Unless they added a new way to change those too?
Nope, only one light environment. But you can make the second stage entirely dark using tool_blocklight, which can be used to make a multistage map with the first stage set during a sunset and the second stage during twilight.