trouble with optimization with my map skyfortress

obodobear

L4: Comfortable Member
Mar 15, 2016
I hope that everything works out for you, this map looks great and I would love to see it be completed. I don't have much advice but something that can be fairly helpful is attempting to decrease the number of brushes in the map.

sooshey

:3c
aa
Jan 7, 2015
Forgive me for decompiling your bsp, I just wanted to take a look to see exactly where the problems lie.
First off, this is VERY fixable. Feedback under the Spoiler.

l8bAjBH.png

See the highlighted brushes? You made those func_detail, which is good. But the left side of the door frame is not func_detail (it should be). You can see the blue lines around it, meaning vis was chopped up there needlessly. This was likely a mistake, but there are lots of other places like this in your map. You need to turn every small detail, like door frames and stairs, into func_detail. Go to Map > Load Portal File to make the blue lines appear. Wherever there are lots of blue lines close together, see if you can turn something nearby into a func_detail to simplify the lines.

1TMwRlr.png

The skybox brushes I highlighted in this screenshot aren't doing anything. Skybox brushes are meant to help seal areas of a map, but since you can see around your skybox brushes here, they are useless. I would recommend doing something like this:
5Jb3PlK.png

Raise these highlighted buildings so they are at least one story higher. Make them tall enough that, when you jump as soldier or demoman, you can't go high enough to see over them. Like this:
y2ZLt6W.png

Now change those nodraw brushes to skybox brushes (i don't know why those nodraw brushes are there) and drag them down to meet the world brushes of the buildings.
6HFb9Tq.png

If you do this between sections of your map, leaving NO HOLES, it will drastically improve your fps. By creating these "walls" you are allowing the parts of the map you can't see to stay un-rendered.

One more thing: see all these complicated nodraw brushes under the playable space?
Cs3FYqW.png

You don't need these. If you fill in this area completely, then there will be no unnecessary visleafs under your map, and therefore no unnecessary rendering. Here is an improved version:
LfvS1BF.png

Voila! A solid foundation.

Hopefully these examples help you see what can be changed in your map to improve fps. I'm no optimization "expert", so surely there is more you can do, but I'm not experienced enough to talk about that. But doing the things I mentioned will still help a lot. Good luck.