Train Flats

SlayerBlitz

L3: Member
Dec 3, 2009
Well I just got finished playing it and I thought it was really fun. It reminded me a lot of the old well map. There are a few things though.

The area around the middle building is really empty. Maybe you could fill the space with cargo boxes, trains, ect. You could even make trains go through this spot.

I really like the two water spots and they saved my life more then once but it be nice if you made the water higher.

The middle building needs some work. If its suppose to be the focus of the map (Its in the middle anyway) it needs to be changed some. You should put a sort of balcony/porch around the top of the middle building and add a way to get up there from the inside and out. Also maybe you could make a train go through the center or maybe put some saw blades. The middle building also needs some of those tin metal barriers around the exits to prevent easy headshots.

The two bases need some metal barriers placed up top to protect snipers some.

The two intel rooms could use somthing like a balcony above them. you could even put the stairs to it where the current intel is and put the intel on the balcony.

This map is really good and You could switch it to a 5 cp map or after some minor adjustments like the stuff I put above it could be a really good ctf. I like it a lot. good job.

Last edited:

lana

Currently On: ?????
aa
Sep 28, 2009
The area around the middle building is really empty. Maybe you could fill the space with cargo boxes, trains, ect. You could even make trains go through this spot.

I was debating whether to do this earlier but decided not to because nobody really noticed or asked for anything. I'll add in a few props to give the middle more cover.

I really like the two water spots and they saved my life more then once but it be nice if you made the water higher.

Shouldn't be too hard to do.

The middle building needs some work. If its suppose to be the focus of the map (Its in the middle anyway) it needs to be changed some. You should put a sort of balcony/porch around the top of the middle building and add a way to get up there from the inside and out. Also maybe you could make a train go through the center or maybe put some saw blades. The middle building also needs some of those tin metal barriers around the exits to prevent easy headshots.

I'm going to revise the middle building soon. Saw blades and trains are not part of the plan, though.

The two bases need some metal barriers placed up top to protect snipers some.

Do you mean on the balconies or elsewhere?

The two intel rooms could use somthing like a balcony above them. you could even put the stairs to it where the current intel is and put the intel on the balcony.

The roof in front of the intelligence buildings have windows that open into the room, providing a decent balcony.

SlayerBlitz

Dec 3, 2009
yes on the balconies. Also could you put a railing on the balconies?

Also the intel room is decent but it seems a little bland and hard to protect. Could you like maybe extend the back wall and move the intel back a bit, raise it up a bit and make a ramp or stairs, and put up some waist high walls.

Also the right side of the main base for each team seems a little bland and unused. maybe you could put a sort of balcony area there? You know how much I love balconies.

I do think the map is a bit small for a 5 cp map. maybe a 3 cp map? or better yet just keep it ctf. ctf is always good.

Last edited:

lana

aa
Sep 28, 2009
yes on the balconies. Also could you put a railing on the balconies?

Consider it done

Also the right side of the main base for each team seems a little bland and unused. maybe you could put a sort of balcony area there? You know how much I love balconies.

I'll make a small shed with some health and ammo in it to encourage more use.

SlayerBlitz

Dec 3, 2009
k thanks its glad to see my opinions and suggestions being used. Will we be able to test this new version by tomorrow?

lana

aa
Sep 28, 2009
Probably after Friday. I signed up for gameday and I want the feedback from it before I release another.

Rikka

L5: Dapper Member
Feb 10, 2009
Didn't like having to jump up on the logs to get through windows in second(?) building. A few people mentioned just straight up removing the middle building to shorten the map. We were on the lower side of the player count, though.

Moose

L6: Sharp Member
Nov 4, 2009
I say you should add more height variation with the ground. the areas around RED and BLU spawns are alright, but the middle building and the area surrounding it is very bland. Nearly all fighting is on the same level there.

lana

aa
Sep 28, 2009
I say you should add more height variation with the ground. the areas around RED and BLU spawns are alright, but the middle building and the area surrounding it is very bland. Nearly all fighting is on the same level there.

Part of the planned revision.

FreeLance_FoX

L6: Sharp Member
Sep 6, 2008
My major issues

1: It does nothing (revolutionary) to discourage classic turtling, and often when you have captured the flag you must go through people you previously killed because their spawn is right there. The intel room seems like it's doing a pretty good job preventing sentry spammage, but I still think you could do something more unique.
2: The pathway between the building and wall, directly left out of spawn, should be widened. Just try it, as I believe it will make that route more viable for attackers to push through. Alternately, think of another way to deal with that area, it's awkward to go up right outside spawn only the again jump down at the yard.
3: The open areas desperately need landmarks, small height variation or rocks would make it awesome.

I liked the scale much more and the visuals are only improving,

-FoX

lana

aa
Sep 28, 2009
My major issues

1: It does nothing (revolutionary) to discourage classic turtling, and often when you have captured the flag you must go through people you previously killed because their spawn is right there. The intel room seems like it's doing a pretty good job preventing sentry spammage, but I still think you could do something more unique.

I wasn't really going for anything revolutionary other than making turtling a less viable strategy. Can you tell me what areas are prone to turtling in the map?

2: The pathway between the building and wall, directly left out of spawn, should be widened. Just try it, as I believe it will make that route more viable for attackers to push through. Alternately, think of another way to deal with that area, it's awkward to go up right outside spawn only the again jump down at the yard.

I'll see what I can do about changing the area. I might work it into the new middle so that it isn't up and immediately down.

3: The open areas desperately need landmarks, small height variation or rocks would make it awesome.

Working on that.

Feb 17, 2009
What is the point of those trains if they don't go anywhere?
ctf_trainflats_a40009.jpg
ctf_trainflats_a40010.jpg

The tracks just end. Looks pretty dull if you ask me. Make it look like they could go somewhere.

Oh, and somebody found an exploit:
ctf_trainflats_a40011.jpg

Last edited:

littleedge

L1111: Clipping Guru
aa
Mar 2, 2009
*points to '[TIP] Common Clipping Problems'* Make the fences nonsolid and make a playerclip go completely down the length of it, or just bring the playerclip already above it down some more to be safe. You could simply move the fence down/displacement up a bit, but better safe than sorry.

lana

aa
Sep 28, 2009
That's how the fences are done. The problem's solved now, with an extra line of defense as well.

Last edited:

lana

aa
Sep 28, 2009
A5 is out! There is so much that I've added that you guys get an extra screenshot!
7cc800ctftrainflatsa5001.jpg

SlayerBlitz

Dec 3, 2009
cant wait to play test this, I see you've used some of my suggestions like adding railing and raising the water level. when are you planing to play test it? I sure hope before noon tomorrow.

Last edited:

lana

aa
Sep 28, 2009
What's happening at noon tomorrow?

SlayerBlitz

Dec 3, 2009
What's happening at noon tomorrow?

I have a Incredibly bad internet connection (wifi satellite gives me like 500,000 ping) at my home so I can only play tf2 when I'm on vacation. Leaving vacation at noon sooo..... Really hoping you decide to have A5 map tested before noon.