Tomb

JoshuaC

L420: High Member
Sep 2, 2008
Updated the first post with screens from the upcoming Beta 3. Just waiting on Valve right now to fix the issue.

The team colored lines you added are hard to see on the screenshots, hopefully they're easier to see ingame. Nonetheless, they are a nice change from the dominating beige color.

You could add team colored obelisks as visual markers on the stone pedestals to further emphasize the two sides.

Valve needs to fix the particle bug soon. I want to play b3!

The colors do read a bit better when you're playing. Right now I can't currently model anything since I'm not very far into learning blender.

JoshuaC

Sep 2, 2008
Released Alpha 7.

Tomb Alpha 7 is a particle stripped version of the unreleased Tomb Beta 3.
Till Valve fixes the particle bug I am releasing this version of the map
so I can get feedback on the new layout. Once the particle bug is fixed I'll release a proper Beta 3.

Dogmeat

L1: Registered
Sep 8, 2009
modelling services

Man your egypt map blows mine out of the water(koth_Denile). You said you were looking for custom models, i'm in the middle of making a couple for my map, in maya though. was just wondering what you were looking for? I would totally be up to helping you with this wicked looking map.
Iv already posted im willing to model for anyones maps here.
[ame="http://forums.tf2maps.net/showthread.php?t=9322"]Model [Request] A big Egyptian statue - TF2Maps.net[/ame]

JoshuaC

Sep 2, 2008
Man your egypt map blows mine out of the water(koth_Denile). You said you were looking for custom models, i'm in the middle of making a couple for my map, in maya though. was just wondering what you were looking for? I would totally be up to helping you with this wicked looking map.
Iv already posted im willing to model for anyones maps here.
Model [Request] A big Egyptian statue - TF2Maps.net

Thanks for the offer, but I'm not sure what I want to put in it right now. Also it gives me motivation to learn Blender.

Wegason

L3: Member
Aug 16, 2009
Observations from Saturday’s GameDay

I heard several people complain that the map was too big or felt big, which I don’t understand as for a KotH map, the distance from the spawns to the point was probably smaller than Viaduct and comparable to Sawmill.

The area with the point feels big to some people I think because of the fact that its inside a tomb and therefore has a roof which is quite high, making the map feel large, that together with the high walls is I believe what is causing it.

I’m not sure how the roof is at the moment, but if its not slanting downwards from the centre, pyramid style, that may be a consideration as it only needs to be higher around the point due to the points height, compared to the rest of the map, this would lower the walls around the edge.

I think the point needs another way to access it other than the current two ways up the stairs.

In the pit around the bottom, the stones that act as stairs aren’t immediately obvious to people as being able to be used, perhaps they could be wider.

During the game there were offensive engineers spawn camping one of the teams, which is not very fun in KotH. This will need to be looked into.

One of my observations is that (from memory) the spawn room has one exit out, which goes to the stairs which then split in two, right and left, to get into the tomb with the CP. I would suggest giving the actual spawn room more than one exit, exits, with cover, left and right of the spawn room.

I’d also suggest changing the stairs, at the moment it gives those attempting to spawncamp the height advantage on the team coming out of their spawn, this will need to be changed.

Another suggestion would be have exits left and right lead to the stairs or changed exit and have a third exit from the room go into a tunnel that emerges in the pit around the point.

This offers a third way of reaching the point and exiting spawn and should hopefully reduce the spawncamping.

The point itself changed hands several times in the first round, but the next couple of rounds were won by the team that first capped it with the other team unable to even get control once during the round (again from memory).

I like the map, and I think it looks nice, I think it just needs some layout and balance changes as it is in its current state.

McNuggetFiend

Jun 22, 2009
Observations from Saturday’s GameDay

I heard several people complain that the map was too big or felt big, which I don’t understand as for a KotH map, the distance from the spawns to the point was probably smaller than Viaduct and comparable to Sawmill.

Yes I get the complaint a lot on my server as well. However, I think the layout is rather refreshing compared to other Koth maps.

Alot of people think the map is far too open as well, however I think the distance from where your typical run of the mill sniper is going to stand is fine.

Wegason

Aug 16, 2009
I dont think snipers are powerful on the map, engineers are, which is unusual for a KotH map. Its a good thing though IMO

JoshuaC

Sep 2, 2008
Thank you guys for the input. I watched the demo from the gameday and saw much I could improve on.

I spent the weekend readying an updated version of Watchtower so now I can focus on this map and plan to address everything you mentioned. Hopefully once the particle fix is out I can put out a proper beta.

JoshuaC

Sep 2, 2008
Alpha 8 out! I hadn't felt much like working on the map due to the still present particle bug, but I figured I should get another version out.

--- Changes from Alpha 7 ---

Changed the stairs leading out of spawn to a more appropriate structure.
Changed lighting to hopefully improve readability of players.
Raised spawn rooms up slightly to help against spawn camping.
Added details here and there and compiled with final lighting.

evanonline

Mar 15, 2009
This looks promising; I checked out a few earlier versions but then this map fell off the radar for me.

I support any good Egypt maps, really! I have an odd soft spot for the theme.

Wegason

Aug 16, 2009
Nope? Not one comment? Alright I guess..

Sort of final version released.

I haven't played it since my last comments but perhaps you may wish to give "thanks" to those that leave feedback, as you currently do not and that may (strangely I know) be the reason you're not getting feedback.

Has it been submitted to a gameday recently? If not, when the contest ends submit it to an EU one and I'll try to attend and leave feedback.