Tomb

Discussion in 'Map Factory' started by JoshuaC, Aug 21, 2009.

1. JoshuaC

JoshuaC L7: Fancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    Beta 3 Released!

Download Mirror
    http://www.fpsbanana.com/maps/116192

An KotH map set in an Egyptian tomb, if you may have guessed.

--- Installation ---

Drop the maps and materials folders into your "team fortress 2\tf\" folder.

--- Changes from Alpha 8 ---

Tweaked light brightness in some areas.
    Added some server friendly torch particles.
    Minor detail tweaks

--- Known Bugs ---

None that I know of.

--- Contact info ---

If you have any input on the map you can post them in the release thread or you can email me at,
    JoshuaMK2@gmail.com and I'd be more than happy to answer any questions you have.

--- Special Thanks ---

http://www.couchathletics.com
    http://www.2fort2furious.com
    http://www.tf2maps.net
    http://www.mapcore.net
    http://www.interlopers.net
    http://www.nerfnow.com
    Those who've given me suggestions on how to improve the map.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2009
  2. LordNor

LordNor L3: Member

Positive Ratings:
    looks very nice, u captured the egypt effect effectively so far

3. Randdalf

aa Randdalf

Positive Ratings:
    Looks very snipey accross the middle.

4. TMP

aa TMP Abuser of Site Rules

Positive Ratings:
    I think it looks nice and should play nicely.

Also, having distance for sniping ain't a bad thing. In this case you need to note that the big exits and entrances are not on the sides you are probably talking about, you'd get people flanking poor ol sniper.

5. Omnomnick

Omnomnick L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    Looks like you've managed to keep the same level of style that Egypt brought, keep it up!

And the large space for snipers to see across isn't bad. You need positions for snipers to actually be useful but the flanking abilities make it easy to stop them so it balances out.

6. JoshuaC

Positive Ratings:
    Completed the spawn areas and added a couple of side passages. I also posted up the current layout for you guys to pick at.

7. absurdistof

aa absurdistof

Positive Ratings:
    Looks great keep it up! Maybe add a bit more flanking routes and complexity?

8. santoriin

santoriin L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    i wonder if there are enough places to support king of the hill.

i mean it looks awesome (and would probably make a sweet arena map) but i wonder what you do when your team doesnt have the hill other than run right through those doors to the hill.

this is just guessing though, the only way to really know is a playtest. But I guess when I think of viaduct/sawmill and even nucleus there are a lot more "non-hill" places to go.

I do think this looks awesome though. I'm digging the low light / high light contrast with the egypt theme.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. JoshuaC

Positive Ratings:
    I'm currently adding another set of passage ways and some cover for the point.

10. Garner

Garner L4: Comfortable Member

Positive Ratings:
    looks amazing so far :D
    Personally, i hope once this project is done, you use tomb as a basis for a full CP map, that would be amazing and (by your standards) could rival egypt =]

Will keep watching this project :D

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  11. JoshuaC

Positive Ratings:
    While I think Egypt has the theme locked down perfectly for CP, I was indeed thinking of a PL map set in a tomb. Maybe BLU could be smuggling out a priceless artifact or something like that.

12. Phobos

Phobos L3: Member

Positive Ratings:
    Huh, that's something that always bothers me about Egypt. A generator and some electrical lights in the spawn area (basic equipment for an excavation) would be nice, so you don't respawn in the darkness.

You could add some ledges (for demos and soldiers to stand on) to the big pillars at the cp. At the sides or above the "tunnel" exit, to add a little element of vertical combat.

With the new custom particle system in place, what about adding sand and dust raining from the ceiling? ;)

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  13. JoshuaC

Positive Ratings:
    I plan to have a few more vertical areas around soon.

I definitely want to do some falling dust for the passage. All I got to do is learn the particle editor.

14. Nerdbot

Nerdbot L7: Fancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    Nice--this is the first Egypt-styled map I've seen that I really like visually since...Egypt!

15. JoshuaC

Positive Ratings:
    This screen doesn't really deserve to be thrown up on the main page so I'll just link it here. I'll post some updated shots tomorrow.

Middle point cover plus some more detail. Let me know what you guys think.

[​IMG]

Also you can't see it very well but ingame there's little dust particles flowing around in the light.

16. Phobos

Phobos L3: Member

Positive Ratings:
    I like it, although the stone blocks look arbitrarily placed (wip, right?)

Looking at the picture gives me the impression that originally the exits of both pillars were connected through a bridge that is now collapsed (with the cp being originally at the center of the bridge. Adds the option to use more bridge rubble and remaining arcs as cover. What do you think of that?

17. Fearlezz

Fearlezz L10: Glamorous Member

Positive Ratings:
    I dont really like the stone bricks in the tunnel on the second picture. Try having a solid wall halfway through the tunnel instead. I think that would prove to look alot better and it breaks the repetive-ness that you have in the second picture right now. :)

Otherwise the map looks really good so far. Love the second image, keep it up!

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  18. JoshuaC

Positive Ratings:
    Added a few walls in the path leading from the spawn hallway into the main area to prevent people from sitting on either side of the map and sniping across from it. I'll show them off soon.

I was thinking somewhere in the map I could have a quicksand trap that would be somewhat like the log area in lumberyard. It could have a plank over it and maybe a small health pack on there but if you step into the sand you'll be pulled under and killed. Of coarse this would be fairly fast so you can get back into the fight but it should provide a bit of fun to the map.

19. JoshuaC

Positive Ratings:
    Scrapped the sandtrap idea due to not knowing where exactly I'd put it.

Updated the layout screen. Added another side passage on each side to allow for more options to the middle point. They're not detailed at all and the lighting is too dark right now but I want to make sure they're good before touching it with any detail.

20. JoshuaC

Positive Ratings:
    The walls I was talking about.

[​IMG]

Also I decided I didn't like how Egypt handled the fire effects (It was a smoke entity colored orange) So I made myself some fire particles.

[​IMG]