[TIPS] TF2 Character proportions

Armadillo of Doom

Group Founder, Lover of Pie
aa
Oct 25, 2007

Half-Life_Maniac

L3: Member
Nov 30, 2007
Am I right in thinking that the usual 72 height/32 width apply for the player's bounding box, so if you made a particularly tight space, the bigger classes' models would clip through the geometry, but still alow movement?

Intraman

L4: Comfortable Member
Nov 4, 2007
I don't think there is any problems with crawling under things. However, I don't see why anyone would make it necessary to crawl under something.. unless its like a hidden path or something.

Snipergen

L13: Stunning Member
Nov 16, 2007
I have to agree with intraman, crouching would make the map slower, but if you have something else in mind go ahead. Experimenting is good :D

zbandito

L1: Registered
Feb 12, 2008
http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/TF2/Team_Fortress_2_Mapper's_Reference

There is more information at the link, including some dimensions used in 2fort and pickup item values.

Model sizes

These are the minimum empty space dimensions required for a model to fit and function in the game. Players can move through spaces with these dimensions, and Engineer structures can be built and operate in them. All sizes are in Hammer Units.
Model Height Width / Depth
Player (standing) 83 49
Player (ducking) 56 49
Sentry Gun (level 3) 87 49
Dispenser 83 49
Teleporter 95 57
Maximum 95 57

Jump distances

The maximum jump clearances for each class, in Hammer units. A player can clear a gap that is as wide as the Horizontal clearance for his class. He can climb a ledge that is as tall as his Vertical clearance. Without jumping a player can climb a vertical height of 18 units (the largest single step of a stairs).
Class Horizontal Vertical
Scout ? 70
(Double Jump) ? 117
Soldier ? 70
(Single Rocket Jump) ? 448
(Max Single Rocket Jump) ? 576
(Rocket Jump - Wall Climb) ? over 1024
(Rocket Jump - Wall Climb 4 Rockets) ? ~1500
Pyro ? 70
Demoman ? 70
(Single Sticky Jump) ? 728
(Max Single Sticky Jump) ? 1000
(Double Sticky Jump) ? over 1950
(Continuous Sticky Jump - Wall Climb) ? over 1536
Heavy ? 70
Engineer ? 70
(Dispenser Jump) ? 153
Medic ? 70
Sniper ? 70
Spy ? 70
Maximum ? over 1952
Note: All jumps require crouching after jumping in order to reach a ledge at the given height, otherwise vertical clearance is 27 units less. Wall Climb requires a Soldier to shoot the wall before reaching the peak of a Rocket Jump and requires a Demoman to attach a sticky to the wall and detonate it before reaching the peak of a Sticky Jump. Mappers should keep in mind the limitations of the average player to allow them access to necessary areas while gifting advanced players with access to secret/advantageous areas.

TehSeph

L1: Registered
Apr 20, 2009
You're forgetting with the Scout Update, Scouts can triple jump with FoN. I'm not sure on exactly high it is, but I know I have a wall that is 128units, and a Scout's triple can clear that. Also, a triple crouch is possible. So maybe add another 27units for that???

bomc

L2: Junior Member
Sep 25, 2008
How about taking all these numbers and putting them itno one big juicy awesome thread?