[TIP] Utilising the power of Paste Special

Psy

The Imp Queen
aa
Apr 9, 2008
Paste Special is a very useful tool for detailing bits and bobs in your map. You can copy stuff from your main map into a new file, then copy and paste special it back into the main map at the exact same location.

It's an alternative to using the cordon tool which can particularly fiddly and annoying if you miss-click and have to recreate the cordon all over again.

Take this example.

1.jpg

Here's a simple ramp which I want to replace with stairs. I'll copy it (CTRL + C) and create a new map file (CTRL + N).

2.jpg

Right-click anywhere in the 2D views and choose 'Paste Special' (making sure 'Start at center of original' is ticked) then hit OK.

3.jpg

Oh look! - A ramp! Now you can create your staircase using this geometry as reference like so.

4.jpg

Once you're done, move the new geometry so it's aligned with the reference geometry like in the following image and hit CTRL + C to copy.

5.jpg

Then Paste Special it back into the main map and voila!

6.jpg

A perfectly aligned replacement for the reference geometry.

Psy

The Imp Queen
aa
Apr 9, 2008
It's for replacing geometry in a level more easily. Copy the existing brushes to another map, build a replacement then copy and paste special it back into the main map.

Peterm

Banned
Jun 1, 2009
so you still have to carefully make the replacement??? why not just do that in the map

Psy

The Imp Queen
aa
Apr 9, 2008
Because you're view will be cluttered and resizing the cordon bounds all the time will just be a pain in the ass.

Freyja

aa
Jul 31, 2009
Cordon hides most of your map except the part you're working on, and if you compile it with cordon mode on it only compiles that part (automatically surrounding it with a sealed box to stop leaks).

Unfortunately you have to manually select what part should not be hidden. He's saying that instead of manually resizing it every time you want to make some complex stuff like stairs, you can make it in an uncluttered new map file.

Anyway, thanks for the tip psy!

DJive

Cake or Death?
aa
Dec 20, 2007
I never knew about this and i tend to do a new>make>copy>paste.

This will make it a lot easier for me, cool man.

Owlruler

L12: Fabulous Member
Dec 10, 2008
Nice!

Acumen

Annoyer
aa
Jun 11, 2009
very cool tip. thanks, Psy !
man i learned so many useful tips in this subforums in the last months.
awesome you mappers !
now i just need to learn the basics then i can go use the expert tips :D

Garner

L4: Comfortable Member
Aug 16, 2009
Nice tutorial :D
Thanks =]

Remix

L69: Deviant Member
Feb 27, 2008
I actually prefer to use this when making a new version of my map. I might delete or change something so much stuff that I run out of undos after I want to fix it. Instead of closing the map file and reopening, I open the previous version, select the brushes/objects I want or need, and then I Paste Special them into the new version of the map. Works like a charm.

Psy

The Imp Queen
aa
Apr 9, 2008
Erm, why not just resave the current map as the next version?

Remix

L69: Deviant Member
Feb 27, 2008
Erm, why not just resave the current map as the next version?

It is already saved as the next version. If I delete something and I can't get it back through undo's, I open the previous version of my map, copy the brushes I need, and then paste special into the new version.

This is useful if you haven't saved in a while, which is what happens to a lot of mappers when they really get into the zone and are working quick.

Psy

The Imp Queen
aa
Apr 9, 2008
Oh right. Sorry, I misunderstood. I also do that. :p