Time Bomb Model

SiniStarR

L8: Fancy Shmancy Member
Mar 31, 2009
Hey, if you know how write up a tut or shoot me a PM. I'll look into setting it up. I figured it couldn't be done since I don't know of any way to get the time from the team_round_timer. I've been using logic_timers and math_counters to run time specific events in my levels..

ya i might write a tutorial. Keep in mind that what I meant was have the hands move around, NOT to the clock but just spin indefinitely...there is a way to do it the way you stated but it would be way to complicated if you don't know how.

ChickenLover

L2: Junior Member
Jun 28, 2008
Another update on this model:

As I said before I held back the release because I ran into an issue with the entity setup used to replace the briefcase. I figure I should go into a little more detail about the issue so you all understand what you will be needing to deal with.

If you've ever worked with the CTF gametype you know that the intel is from an entity called item_teamflag. You may have also noticed that there actually isn't an option to replace the briefcase model, so you may be wondering how we are replacing it? The truth is... We aren't. And this is why it is such a headache.

To "replace" the briefcase what we have done is actually hidden the model itself. Then we take our replacement model, in this case a bomb, and parent that model with a prop_dynamic to the item_teamflag. The prop_dynamic has to be parented several units away from the item_teamflag, because unlike the briefcase model which is hidden from your first person view while you carry it, the replacement model is not. If it is placed too closely you end up seeing the model on your screen which is a very bad thing.

To hide the briefcase model we send an output to the item_teamflag called TurnOff. You can also find this on the prop_dynamic. TurnOff hides the model. But it is bugged. Or at least I hope it is a bug and not a feature. The TurnOff function when triggered sends out to every client on the server that the model has now been turned off and is no longer visible. The problem is if someone connects after that message is sent, they will not receive it. The result is that the model, still set to TurnOff, still shows up as on. Any repeated requests of TurnOff to the item_teamflag will be ignored as the entity already thinks it is off.

The only way I've found to get around the issue is to send a TurnOn very quickly followed by a TurnOff. This way every client connected will get updated. Unfortunately this causes the briefcase model to flash for a fraction of a second. Depending on your FPS you may see it or you may not. Repeated triggering will eventually flash the briefcase model though.

The solution I've used on [ame="http://forums.tf2maps.net/showthread.php?t=8922"]ctf_solitaire[/ame] is to trigger TurnOn/TurnOff on drop and pickup of the intel. These are fairly common events in CTF and the intel is in a state of transfer from the back to the ground so the briefcase flash is less noticeable. My second solution, although not used currently in solitaire, is to add the TurnOn/TurnOff triggers to the trigger_multiples on the spawn doors. I picked the doors instead of the spawn room because the doors would only be used by people active. People who are afk in spawn will not trigger the entity. This method will fix the briefcase model faster, but it will also flash the briefcase model a lot more often and in times when it is much more noticeable.

So. What does this all mean for you? Well, other than it being a pain in the ass to work with, I'm going to be delaying my release until I get a proper playtest of ctf_solitaire with the entities in play. If all goes well with that test and I'm satisfied with the result, then I will post a nice little package that contains the models you need and several entity setups for your convenience. If I'm not happy with it, you'll still get the models but there will be no entity setups. You'll have to figure something out for yourself. Perhaps something better than I've found.

So, a little patience. I'll get these released to you all one way or another.

Rexy

The Kwisatz Haderach
aa
Dec 22, 2008
I sent an email today to Robin Walker about the item_teamflag entity and it's properties. If all goes well, hopefully ctf map authors may have a few more options.

ChickenLover

Jun 28, 2008
I sent an email today to Robin Walker about the item_teamflag entity and it's properties. If all goes well, hopefully ctf map authors may have a few more options.

I sent him one last week as well. That was before I discovered the TurnOff bug too. Hopefully they get the message. ;)

Pseudo

L6: Sharp Member
Jan 26, 2008
My second solution, although not used currently in solitaire, is to add the TurnOn/TurnOff triggers to the trigger_multiples on the spawn doors. I picked the doors instead of the spawn room because the doors would only be used by people active. People who are afk in spawn will not trigger the entity. This method will fix the briefcase model faster, but it will also flash the briefcase model a lot more often and in times when it is much more noticeable.
I have not tested this but perhaps you could identify the players that have recently joined, and then only fire the TurnOn/TurnOff when they leave the spawn, instead of for every player.

A trigger_multiple could target !activator and send the output AddOutput with the parameter targetname not_new (or whatever name you want to use). A filter_activator_name could be used so that this trigger is only activated by players who have not been "marked" with an altered targetname. The flag could TurnOn/TurnOff the first time each player leaves the spawnroom, but when that player respawns it would not fire because it knows the flag is already off for that player.

ChickenLover

Jun 28, 2008
I have not tested this but perhaps you could identify the players that have recently joined, and then only fire the TurnOn/TurnOff when they leave the spawn, instead of for every player.

A trigger_multiple could target !activator and send the output AddOutput with the parameter targetname not_new (or whatever name you want to use). A filter_activator_name could be used so that this trigger is only activated by players who have not been "marked" with an altered targetname. The flag could TurnOn/TurnOff the first time each player leaves the spawnroom, but when that player respawns it would not fire because it knows the flag is already off for that player.

ABS mentioned this as well. I have not tested it yet though. Thanks for the reminder. I'll give it a test and add it to the final pack if it works. I don't know if I would add it to solitaire though. Pretty much for the same reason as the trigger_multiples on the doors, which is that it would flash the briefcase while on a player's back.

Really I'm just hoping for an entity update. Maybe with all of the attention to the CTF gametype tf2maps.net has been doing we'll get the update. That would be swell.