The TF2 classless update: Day 2

Feb 17, 2009
Thanks, VALVe you are the best.
I simply love the new gamemode and that snow map :)

This is the best update of them all :wow:

Last edited:

Freyja

aa
Jul 31, 2009
Robin is the most common aussie girl name? I know no girls with that name...and my own name is Alison. I don't think so :p

Stupoider

L1: Registered
Feb 8, 2009
AND CHARGE US FOR PART OF THE UPDATE!!!!! D:

don't do it valve!!

What makes you think that? :eek:

And this update is really shaping up to be awesome. More hats for me to never find! :( Other than that, it looks great, plus I love all the update propaganda that litters the blog before the update. :D

The Gentlemanne

L4: Comfortable Member
Jun 18, 2009
cool....damn must Build awesome PC.

Ankh

L3: Member
Sep 18, 2008
I've got to say I'm liking this, the snow theme still looks damn pretty...
And that's on top of my joy at being able to play Nucleus and Sawmill and not have them suck

I just have one question: Do New Zealanders actually hate you guys?
I'll field that:
Only publicly really, specifically when it involves sports.
Because the NZ media (namely the news) sees the country as a nation of sheep farming rugby players who must therefore clearly hate everything on the other side of the Tasman (I'm not kidding, the sports reporters actually take shots at them).
God I hate the news... But it wasn't always that way - I wanted to be in the news once, but they said I was too Australian...bloody Aussies, ruining my chances at TV stardom...

Then I had woke up and realized I hadn't actually gotten a degree in journalism, started wearing beanies in summer or grown a completely different accent and the entire thing was fictional.

But was it?

Yes. Yes it was.

I'm never playing Zeno Clash at 1am again. That game is an electronic drug trip.

But I should try making a map for it...

Yeah I should have just hit post a few sentences ago.

drp

aa
Oct 25, 2007
it's been talking about being free, maybe, just maybe, valve are about to do the unthinkable...

AND CHARGE US FOR PART OF THE UPDATE!!!!! D:

don't do it valve!!

i think its a shot at the l4d boycotts

Hawk

L7: Fancy Member
Dec 3, 2007
Honestly? If a Team Fortress 2 update came that I had to pay for, I'd do it in a heartbeat. The amount of fun I've received from TF2 versus the amount I've payed is delightfully lopsided. It actually baffles me that we keep getting so much new content for free, but I know Valve does it because it benefits them as well.

But we'll probably never be charged. It would split playerbase into those who got the update and those who didn't, and those who didn't would either have a harder time finding servers to play on or would just get left in the dark completely.

Rikka

L5: Dapper Member
Feb 10, 2009
So I want KOTH all the official arena maps except granary and well. And I wouldn't mind them either.

And hopefully this means no more fifteen minute KOTH maps.

BlueDarkness

Jun 11, 2009
I'm still just wondering why the one map they made that is on a hill is the only one in the update not KOTH yet...

EDIT: And still wondering, does cp_glacier even have falling snow? From my attempts in Hammer at making snow I either was unable to see it, or it was impossible to actually have visible while in-game.

ANOTHER EDIT: Nice save Valve! I expected them to accidentally declare war on hills BEFORE they discovered them! lol
Plus there's a brand newish skybox!

Last edited:

Jack Riguel

L10: Glamorous Member
Jul 19, 2009
I'm still just wondering why the one map they made that is on a hill is the only one in the update not KOTH yet...
Explain? Which map are you talking about. Lots of the maps have hills and are on hills/mountains.

Also, the whole "still free" thing is very much a shot at their buddies over working at L4D2. However, this isn't L4D2, so I'm wondering why everyone seems to be cautiously approaching it under the impression that one of these days they're going to announce that the update will cost $9.95. If the TF2 team were to ever do that, I assure you that it would be a joke.

In other news: Icarus' name is still misspelled, and I find it hilarious; especially since Evil Eye even went back and already edited his post:
5. and icariase (or however you spell that) will have to edit koth_waste

evanonline

L420: High Member
Mar 15, 2009
I think the problem with a lot of the arena maps and the reason they didn't get converted to KOTH is because they don't necessarily have focus on the center area. Sawmill and Nucleus are very "round" in gameplay, whereas Ravine and Lumberyard are sort of all over the place in combat. There's nothing wrong with that, but it doesn't lead to a good conversion to KOTH.

KOTH_Well could work, but do we really need FOUR Wells?

I'd LOVE to see KOTH_Watchtower but I doubt it'll ever happen. I might have to make it happen myself and sink to "cp_2fort" levels.

BlueDarkness

Jun 11, 2009
Well to explain myself a little better: Arena Offblast (The new Arena map) is on a huge hill, and yet it has not been declared an official KOTH map yet.

And as far as the snow theme being off color, etc. the update still isn't out yet, so remember that things might look better after it is released.

Jack Riguel

L10: Glamorous Member
Jul 19, 2009
KOTH_Well could work, but do we really need FOUR Wells?

I'd LOVE to see KOTH_Watchtower but I doubt it'll ever happen. I might have to make it happen myself and sink to "cp_2fort" levels.

I want a KotH_Well. It's the only map with a really well made and deadly trap. It's still my favourite arena map because of this (hell the map was one of my major inspirations for arena_cargo). So yes, we do need four wells. Either that, or Valve needs to make a new KotH map with a train as a deathtrap.

I've always said Watchtower would make a better KotH map then arena. In fact most arena rounds play the map like a KotH map instead of like an arena map. The design was really poorly done on arena_Watchtower, as it's control point was the main focus of the map and it's way to easily fortified since it's the best covered spot in the map. However a koth style watchtower map would probably turn one of the worst official community maps released into one of the best KotH maps around.

Well to explain myself a little better: Arena Offblast (The new Arena map) is on a huge hill, and yet it has not been declared an official KOTH map yet.

Just like Watchtower, Offblast is a community map. Meaning that Valve will have to rely on the developer to either agree to valve turning into a KotH map, or they would have to make it themselves. Valve isn't going to do it for them though, they've got bigger fish to fry... like stealing the Snow theme. (I kid... I kid...)

BlueDarkness

Jun 11, 2009
Just like Watchtower, Offblast is a community map. Meaning that Valve will have to rely on the developer to either agree to valve turning into a KotH map, or they would have to make it themselves. Valve isn't going to do it for them though, they've got bigger fish to fry... like stealing the Snow theme. (I kid... I kid...)

I am not disagreeing. I just believe it might have been a little more effective to start with the two new community maps switched in game mode.

Oh valve on your play-on-words. Off Blast at a missile silo. (As in they just mixed up Blast Off)

Last edited:

uma plata

L6: Sharp Member
Jan 20, 2009
The biggest potential issue I see with KOTH is engineers setting up on the point, and the ability of the other team to remove them.

Nucleus will naturally allow engineers to be countered (not a lot of room on the point, and easily sniped)

Sawmill has cover, and the point is somewhat open, but it may end up an issue

Other maps I'm not sure would work as well, which might be why they didn't port them over. Badlands is a possibility though...

Watchtower would be bad. Set up on the point, and it's game over...no angles to get at the sentry