The Skating Rink

Beetle

L9: Fashionable Member
Aug 17, 2008
Hi, Thanks for all the positive comments.

NoHeroes, I made it change after one round on purpose, but I'm removing that in the next version.

I'm not making it ice, but like Void suggested, the next version will have a shiny hardwood floor that more closely resembles a skating rink hardwood floor.

Communic, I don't want to make engineers not fun to play, so I am working on the sentry gun problem. I'm starting with putting a func_nobuild on the skating floor.

Beetle

Aug 17, 2008
Update bump

-updated to beta since I won't be changing the layout much anymore
-Game no longer ends after 1 round
-The floor is all nice and shiny now, though the seams look a bit awkward
-func_nobuild over the entire skating floor
-optimized some

edit: fixing the download. i uploaded an old version without cubemaps :X

Last edited:

Penguin

Clinically Diagnosed with Small Mapper's Syndrome
aa
May 21, 2009
To fix the seams, make the entire floor belong to a single smoothing group.

Penguin

aa
May 21, 2009
Nope, it should not matter at all.

Beetle

Aug 17, 2008
Well thanks. I've never used smoothing groups before, at least not on purpose.

Beetle

Aug 17, 2008
Can someone higher up take the "a1" out of my title? I tried but it didn't work.

Also, how do I remove screenshots? I only saw an option to replace them.

NoHeroes

L2: Junior Member
Oct 16, 2008
We play tested this map last week.

Unless you make most of the platform a no-build area (allow 2 sentries at most), this map will be a non-starter. With essentially only one avenue of approach, on a full server, it simply becomes a camp-fest (unless you class-limit the engies, which few server operators will care to do).

I would also advise against using arbitrary "change map after X number of rounds' settings in your map(s). Let the server operators decide how long to run the map.

Beetle

Aug 17, 2008
I did not but looked it up, pretty simple, but its not seaming well. I think its less of the smoothing of the lighting and more of the placement of cubemaps (and what faces I choose to reflect).

lockitup

Nov 15, 2009
Just got done running this map on our server for about 16 rounds, didn't know b1 was out so we played a1. Here are the ratings:

ctf_theskatingrink_a1
3.68 (25 ratings)

2 4 4 5 10
Worst >>>>>>>> Best

I really thought it was a fun time, but I would like to see less snipers and engineers on the platform, perhaps add an extra exit so everyone isnt forced to come out of the same area?

Beetle

Aug 17, 2008
Thanks for playing.

As someone on another site suggested, I might put the nobuilds on the platforms, and allow building on the skating rink. For someone to get a strong SG up on the rink they'd have to go around a few times to get more metal. So that should fix that at least.

What do you think?

lockitup

Nov 15, 2009
Well the people on the server last night were just building teleports, and dispensers to block the way...since we had so many engineers and snipers they somehow were able to build them in time and then they had an unstoppable sentry....its extremely difficult to be soldier or demoman while you are flying around the track.

Also, ratings for b1:

ctf_theskatingrink_b1
3.75 (20 ratings)

2 2 3 5 8

Last edited:

Beetle

Aug 17, 2008
Could someone let me know where this is being played? I'd like to join you a few times while its being played to see what people are saying.

lockitup

Nov 15, 2009
I think you need to add disco lighting and some Chic - Good Times...would be good stuff lol.

Anyway our site is http://www.aotf2.com and if you add me to steam/contact me on this site/that site etc. I'll run your map with some people whenever you'd like.

Penguin

aa
May 21, 2009
Make the lights dim and have some funky spotlights turn on around the last three caps.

lockitup

Nov 15, 2009
running this map now btw if you're there, seems to be a server favorite actually.

Last edited: