The Skating Rink

Discussion in 'Map Factory' started by Beetle, Jan 23, 2010.

1. Beetle

Beetle L9: Fashionable Member

Positive Ratings:
    I learned a lot from making this map - the beauty of logic entities for one. I present to you my version of skate2, much like the original one in TFC.

Layout
    The map features a skating rink that forces you to move around the rink at a fast pace. Each side has their own small base to house their intel and their spawn.

Scoring
    -The first team to do 25 laps with the opposing team's intel wins.

Extras
    Every 5 laps, the team gets a 'bonus' that will help them win all the faster.

Specifics
    - 6 seconds after a dropped intel before it returns (unless its the special intel in which case its instantly returned)

Notes:
    The bonuses each team gets might come out to be very lame, so they are subject to change if they suck too much.

Still working on the sentry gun overpowered-ness. I don't want to shut them down completely

Last edited: Jun 29, 2010
  2. nik

nik L12: Fabulous Member

Positive Ratings:
    haha cool

how exactly did you do the scoring thing?

also: you don't have to put the map version in the thread title, just the name

3. The Political Gamer

aa The Political Gamer

Positive Ratings:
    Sentries will rape on this map.

4. Beetle

Positive Ratings:
    I suppose they might. Keep in mind I haven't playtested more than by myself just to make sure the entities are working right. After more testing is done, walls will go up, places will be built, etc.

Essentially, I made a physical scoreboard that decreases by 1 every time a lap with the intel is made until their scoreboard hits 0. Whichever team hits 0 first gets the humiliation triggered.

5. Spammish

Spammish L3: Member

Positive Ratings:
    I love the concept of the literally fast paced battle, I would imagine you would have to make large nobuild areas as if players can't stop to take it down they're just gonna get mowed down every lap. The map seems a little small from the screencaps as well, maybe it'd be a better idea to make a slightly larger map in a figure of 8 shape although I'd imagine that may not actually be possible with overlapping, they could possibly pass over each other. I would also suggest having a few off-rink fight areas/lanes which would be less advantageous than the rink but still a viable option. 0_0 Just realised the concept is to do laps with the intel, thus making this concept even better! I wish you luck with this and suggest you try and find (or fabricate) an ice texture for the rink.

6. absurdistof

aa absurdistof

Positive Ratings:
    Nobuild the map. Problem solved.

7. nik

Positive Ratings:
    yeah I know this, but how did you make the scoreboard change what it said each time, like i know how to make a count that enables/disables func_brushes, but yeah.

8. Beetle

Positive Ratings:
    At first I tried making 1 animated texture with 10 integers on it, but I gave up on that. Its just 1 func_wall per number. Each time it changes it toggles the previous number off and the next number on, then again and again and again.

edit: it involved a math_counter a logic_multiple (or w/e thats called) and the func_walls for each number.

9. Penguin

aa Penguin Clinically Diagnosed with Small Mapper's Syndrome

Positive Ratings:
    Make all the wood an actual ice texture.

10. Beetle

Positive Ratings:
    well, to be fair i never said it was an ice skating rink. They have rollerskating rinks too ya know. And they are made of hardwood. Would I rather have a shiny hardwood floor texture? Yes, but there's nothing like it that I know of.

11. Penguin

Positive Ratings:
    Ice would still be... cooler.

12. Beetle

Positive Ratings:
    indeed, ice is cooler than wood :p

13. Beetle

Positive Ratings:
    Anyone have suggestions on how to make the lighting better? I'm terrible with lighting even though I know the basics. I just slap enough light_spots up there to light up an area enough. I want it to be more interesting than that..

14. nik

Positive Ratings:
    make some cracks in the roof where sunlight is coming through, and use dustmotes maybe?

15. Beetle

Positive Ratings:
    Well I don't want it to look like skating ruins, but maybe some skylights. I can't really tell if what I have now would be too dark, or if its just dark because skating rinks aren't really bright anyway.

16. communic

communic L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    The funmaps server I play on allways runs this map, We want a more improved version! We LOVE it.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  17. Void

aa Void Local Man Unable To Map, Sources Say

Positive Ratings:
    The wood needs specularity to be a true skating rink floor.

18. Penguin

Positive Ratings:
    ...Or just make it ice.

:p

19. communic

communic L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    Me and the guy on the funserver I play on think it needs the following to be awesome.

-Ice Floor
    -No Sentry guns, It really ruins it.
    -More music, the one song gets boring -.-
    -Spawn room a tad closer to the exit.

Other than that, it's a really fun map to play.

20. NoHeroes

NoHeroes L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
    Any particular reason that no matter what I set the server to, it loads the next map after just one round on this map? Heck, I even set maxrounds to 100, and it still reloads after just one round.