The Q:A Complex Brushwork Thread

seth

aa
May 31, 2013
From the looks of it, the mapper just made a single windmill blade, then pasted 15 copies of it with a rotation angle of whatever 360/16 is.

That doesn't explain how it was distributed though. If it were just paste-special'd 15 times at 22.5 degrees, they would all just be rotated about the origin of the original brush.

Kube

Not the correct way to make lasagna
aa
Aug 31, 2014
how the shit

c5b2922bad.jpg

Individual blades are rotated and translated using CTRL+M transform tool at angles of about ~20. Make two blades across from each other, then copy+paste special.

Here's a quick (incorrectly-angled) mock-up:

2016_01_19_00001.jpg

2016_01_19_00002.jpg

That doesn't explain how it was distributed though. If it were just paste-special'd 15 times at 22.5 degrees, they would all just be rotated about the origin of the original brush.

The trick is to func_detail the first two brushes, which will center out the origin.

killohurtz

Distinction in Applied Carving
aa
Feb 22, 2014

They may have used a skip brush with the blade offset from the center and deleted it afterwards. Kube's method is just as likely, though.

Last edited:

Kube

aa
Aug 31, 2014
That's gnarly. So would the spindly connectors be the same process? Gonna see if I can replicate it...

'Spindly connectors'?

seth

aa
May 31, 2013
'Spindly connectors'?

The metal pieces that connect each blade.

I just tried it by hiding all but 2 of each connector and fan blade on opposite sides, like this:

ba864d6618.jpg

That yields this:

f145057fec.jpg

Not sure how it knows exactly how many are needed when I just said to copy that selection once, but I mean it kinda worked.

This is how it compares to the original though:

398b911ed4.jpg

I suppose that's caused by the fan blade's initial rotation, but I'm not quite sure how to offset that. I guess it could have been arbitrarily rotated after the paste.

Kube

aa
Aug 31, 2014
The metal pieces that connect each blade.

I just tried it by hiding all but 2 of each connector and fan blade on opposite sides, like this:

ba864d6618.jpg

That yields this:

f145057fec.jpg

Not sure how it knows exactly how many are needed when I just said to copy that selection once, but I mean it kinda worked.

This is how it compares to the original though:

398b911ed4.jpg

I suppose that's caused by the fan blade's initial rotation, but I'm not quite sure how to offset that. I guess it could have been arbitrarily rotated after the paste.

I was thinking those rings were just simple rings (arch tool), sized and adjusted to fit between the blades. Whatever works best, though.

If you're interested: Try setting the brush entity of the fan 'To World,' and seeing if the rings are grouped together like an arch tool brush would be.

seth

aa
May 31, 2013
I was thinking those rings were just simple rings (arch tool), sized and adjusted to fit between the blades. Whatever works best, though.

If you're interested: Try setting the brush entity of the fan 'To World,' and seeing if the rings are grouped together like an arch tool brush would be.

They are not grouped.

Kube

aa
Aug 31, 2014
They are not grouped.

No? Huh. Again, whatever works best.

The windmill looks nice: the extra effort certainly pays off.

MoonFox

L10: Glamorous Member
Mar 17, 2015
I had something snarky to say... now I feel blown back at all the cool new shapes I can now make...
THATS SOO COOL!

worMatty

Repacking Evangelist
aa
Jul 22, 2014
I would be surprised if the vertices belonging to that construction didn't travel between VMF saves and loads, leading to torn faces, invalid solids, etc.