The future of hoodoo (and discussion about filesize)

What should I do?

• Total voters

Icarus

aa
Sep 10, 2008
Q servers bzip them, and they have unparalleled download speed. We just use the uncompressed filesize to measure as it's easier to compare.

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
Q servers bzip them, and they have unparalleled download speed. We just use the uncompressed filesize to measure as it's easier to compare.

If the bzipped one is the one you ship to players why do you use uncompressed as a comparison? that seems incredibly illogical to me. Since you only care about your players downloading the bzipped one (Guessing thats the only one they can download from you whilst they're ingame) why not use the bzipped size as a conpare measure? It makes much more sense...

MrAlBobo

L13: Stunning Member
Feb 20, 2008
they have unparalleled download

I question this...unless they have web servers virtually everywhere (enough that no more then 5 hops are required) and have hacked up a method to allow the server to auto-detect which web host will be the fastest, then no...
the current host im using i get maybe 200kb/s on, but ive had a number of people located closer to the web host get anywhere from 700-1200kb/s...
so...yeah...

also...comparing maps based on the non zipped size is more logical...you can bz2 zip the maps to different compressions, rarely will anyone post the zipped size online, while the basic is quite common
so...using the basic over bzipping all the maps yourself just to see the comparison seems a bit less tedious...