TF2M Competitive Map Testing!? o_O

Sgt Frag

L14: Epic Member
May 20, 2008
Well, more testing is never a bad thing.

I'd love to hear anyones opinion on ctf_yin yang.
http://forums.tf2maps.net/showthread.php?ltr=Y&t=5956
My main reason for the layout was to try and solve turtling and increase team play. . Should be fairly easy to get the intel out in the open quickly.
Then teams should have to work together to retrieve or protect intel. The base can be reached from the front or back and currently there is a middle path which might need removed, or one team/one way doors.

Anyway, I think some players with a competitive mindset might be best for determining the gameplay.

If you can/will run it let me know and I'll show.

Mar

Banned
Feb 12, 2009
This sounds like a great idea! Would it most likely be during weekdays? And why is Ventrilo preferable to the in-game chat?

Ventrilo is much better due to

1. Infinitely better voice quality.

2. Voice compression and normalization so everyone's voices are of the same volume.

3. You can have channels and sub channels which makes organizing stuff much easier.

4. You have admins that can move people around in the channels.

5. Much lower ping then the Ingame voip so your voice is heard by your team mates sooner.

6. Much sexier and less obtrusive overlay

7. You can hear dead players.

8. Sounds way, way, way, way, way, way, way, way, way, way, way, way better

Lazy Eskimo

L2: Junior Member
May 17, 2009
6v6 is the standard but there is leagues with higher numbers. While 6v6 will play different then higher numbers. I think the important thing to keep in mind is whats happens when it's played by very skilled players. Lot of map flaws will become more obvious. If map isn't very interesting you should be able to see that it doesn't create as interesting a game.

Ravidge said he didn't make silvertrail with competitive in mind. I think it has potential to work great in competitive simply cause it's a very well made map. If a map is made really good there shouldn't be a reason why it won't work in competition.

I do play competitive and I will claim to have very good analyzing abilities of how maps will play. I've started posting on map threads around here. I'll be happy to help mappers making great map in any way I can.

MangyCarface

Mapper
aa
Feb 26, 2008
Ventrilo's preference dates back to CS days, when a lot of those problems existed in CS due to poor audio codecs. In the most recent source games, most of these now come close to ventrilo status ingame, and it's typically used because people are used to it (ingame works fine for what we want to do) Having admins move people to channels is a silly reason because once you're on red/blue you can already only talk to red/blue.

Feb 14, 2008
Ventrilo's preference dates back to CS days, when a lot of those problems existed in CS due to poor audio codecs. In the most recent source games, most of these now come close to ventrilo status ingame, and it's typically used because people are used to it (ingame works fine for what we want to do) Having admins move people to channels is a silly reason because once you're on red/blue you can already only talk to red/blue.

It also allows you to talk when you're dead as well, which is a handy feature.

drp

aa
Oct 25, 2007
if you guys need ventrilo or teamspeak, i can install it on our server so we can use that.