TF2 Update 05/12/10

Penguin

Clinically Diagnosed with Small Mapper's Syndrome
aa
May 21, 2009
too bad I already crafted all the unlocks the hard way.

StickZer0

💙💙💃💙💙
aa
Nov 25, 2008
Damnit damnit damnit damnit!
Just a few days ago I crafted LOADS of items in the hope of getting a crit-a-cola only to get bonk, including a bonk and kritzkrieg! D:

Fraz

Blu Hatte, Greyscale Backdrop.
aa
Dec 28, 2008
Well I have 4 refined and a demoman token. Roll on the engy update so I can see what demoman hat(s) they bring with it!

Apr 19, 2009
On 12/05/2010 Valve made some changes to TF2's crafting system as follows:

Smelt Primary Weapons:
2 Identical primary weapons
Eg. Force-A-Nature + Force-A-Nature 1 Scrap Metal

Smelt Secondary Weapons:
2 Identical secondary weapons
Eg. Flare gun + Flare gun 1 Scrap Metal

Smelt Melee Weapons:
2 Identical melee weapons
Eg. Übersaw + Übersaw 1 Scrap Metal

Smelt Class Weapons
Any 2 weapons wielded by the same class
Eg. Ambassador + Dead Ringer (Spy Weapons) 1 Scrap Metal

Smelt Tokens
3 Tokens
Eg. Heavy Token + Demoman Token + Melee Token 1 Reclaimed Metal

Combine Scrap Metal = 1 Reclaimed Metal

3 Scrap Metal

Combine Reclaimed Metal = 1 Refined Metal

3 Reclaimed Metal

Smelt Refined Metal = 3 Reclaimed Metal
1 Refined Metal

Smelt Reclaimed Metal = 3 Scrap Metal

1 Reclaimed Metal

Source: http://tf2wiki.net/wiki/Crafting

As you can see you only require two weapons from the same class or slot to create one scrap metal, also you can now smelt Refined and Reclaimed metal back into it's previous metals. This means with the new cost of scrap metal hats cost much less:

Random Headgear:
2 headgear
or 54 weapons = 27 Scrap Metal = 9 Reclaimed Metal = 3 Refined Metal = 27 weapons

Class-specific Headgear
75 weapons
= (36 Scrap metal = 12 Reclaimed Metal = 4 Refined Metal) + 3 weapons (1 Class Token)

Also with these new changes came new weapon blueprints, with these blueprints certain items are now much easier to acquire i.e Crit-A-Cola = KritzKreig + Bonk! Atomic Punch:

Fabricate Class Weapon:

1 Class Token + 1 Slot Token + 1 Scrap Metal
Eg. Medic Token + Secondary Token + Scrap Metal 1 Class Specific Weapon
Eg. Kritzkrieg
Fabricate Crit-A-Cola = 1 Crit-A-Cola
1 Kritzkrieg + 1 Bonk! Atomic Punch

Fabricate Dalokohs Bar = 1 Dalokohs Bar

1 Sandvich + 1 Bonk! Atomic Punch

Fabricate Gunboats = 1 Gunboats

1 Chargin' Targe + 1 Razorback

Fabricate Homewrecker = 1 Homewrecker

1 Eyelander + 1 Equalizer

Fabricate Pain Train = 1 Pain Train
1 Sandman + 1 Scrap Metal

Source: http://tf2wiki.net/wiki/Crafting

Mr.Blob

L8: Fancy Shmancy Member
Jun 12, 2009
aww, I wish I'd have waited before I crafted all mah scrap :(

Terr

Cranky Coder
aa
Jul 31, 2009
Good news, everyone!

I got off my lazy butt for half an hour and I now have I tool I can use to create "logs" (on any day I remember to run it) of the rough contents of all the GCFs on my hard drive.

This means the next time a TF2 update rolls around, I can provide information on what files were added, removed, or (if their file size is different) changed. I could generate checksums too, but that sounds a bit like overkill.

The only bad news is that the GCFs I tried saving from before the latest TF2 update were the wrong ones, so no information on the most-recent update.

Future improvement might be to have a before/after for the content of things like localization strings, but just knowing what new materials or models were added should be handy from a mapping perspective.

radon

L1: Registered
Sep 5, 2009
Good news, everyone!

I got off my lazy butt for half an hour and I now have I tool I can use to create "logs" (on any day I remember to run it) of the rough contents of all the GCFs on my hard drive.....

Trust me when i say, that there are enough freaks people on the steam forums who go through the whole tf2 game folder by hand, looking for anything that could have changed, even if the update was <10MB :O

But nice anyway. I had the same idea after these numerous updates this week :bored:

Terr

Cranky Coder
aa
Jul 31, 2009
If anyone wants to compile a list of "specific files that should be preserved for comparisons" (like tf_english.txt) feel free ;)