Team Fortress 2, Day of Defeat: Source and Half-Life 2: Deathmatch Updates Released

Mr.Blob

L8: Fancy Shmancy Member
Jun 12, 2009
I've played with the Hitman's Heatmaker a bit and overall It's pretty good. the lower body shot damage really doesn't seem to change anything for my play style. I think it favors more a defensive sniper as you have to really be a suitable distance from the enemy to use the focus effectively.

tyler

aa
Sep 11, 2013
Back before they reworked the flare gun, I thought the benefit of shooting from a longer distance was more interesting and less screw-it-let's-just-copy-the-Axtinguisher than the bonus for hitting a burning enemy. Rather than bump it up to full crits on all burning enemies, I'd have liked to see them make that a specialty weapon and change the standard flare gun to have base damage that scales proportionately to distance fired. And then maybe other new flare guns would be based on that, but with maybe a base damage reduction or reduced afterburn or something.

Wasn't this the original version of the flaregun? Reverse damage fall-off?

Jeremy

L11: Posh Member
Oct 24, 2010
The old Flare Gun only did full crits at long range, and close-range hits would only minicrit. I suppose that counts as reverse damage falloff.

Mar 23, 2010
the crossbow has reverse falloff with both it's heals and damage which is baller

Bereth

L4: Comfortable Member
Dec 13, 2011
Excellent optimization, Valve.

E0C89741E7F27628E12461D6D85626D4F879A855

61963D2FCF5A3313C6250ED4122213D4F2AA649D

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
Now I'm suspicious that they really did plan for a raid mode where you fight a giant robot, and even stealth-added the stuff that we caught for it, but then realized it wouldn't work for some reason and had to come up with something else in a hurry.

Trotim

aa
Jul 14, 2009
Alright, since it came up and someone on Tightrope was wondering why people dislike the new Pocket Pistol so much:

I have nothing against "no fall damage", that's fine and synergizes with the Blaster. The lower fire rate can stay too, gives it a different (arguably better) feel. But the +health I see as potentially a big issue. It's even still perfectly usable as a pistol, and Pyros aren't actually a common problem for Scouts in the first place.

+max health for Scout is theoretically acceptable, needs a huge downside though because Scout and Spy are meant to be the most fragile classes. It's just like giving Heavy extra speed, goes against the class definition. Scout is never supposed to tank, his survivability comes from mobility. I really don't like +max health on Scout and the Milkman Set as precedent is another good argument against it.

It being passive and hidden is a big issue. I can't stress it enough. As long as the Pocket Pistol exists as it is, you will never know if any given Scout has 125 or 140HP. Health penalties are more acceptable because they let fights go in favor of the enemy, though even they aren't ideal, but a health bonus screws up all prediction as it increases the number of shots needed for a kill. Even with a big downside a hidden +max health is not a good idea.

Items in the game that add max health:
Milkman Set - visible hat and set weapons
Eyelander - visible glowing eye with 4 stages
Wee Booties - visible shoes
Gunslinger - visible arm
Danger Shield - visible shield
Dalokohs Bar - hidden but temporary, might be able to watch Heavy and hear eating etc., still bad
Pocket Pistol - completely hidden and permanent, not even guaranteed the Scout uses it to shoot

On top of all that, at full overheal a Scout has 210 health this way and can survive two direct pipes/rockets in the face now which is just unwarranted as it's already very difficult to do against decent Scouts.

One more thing - the Atomizer is by far the best Scout melee right now. Thanks to the Pocket Pistol being an upgrade (and usually Mad Milk being banned), it will be basically mandatory as well. What's that, Pocket Pistol+Atomizer have even more synergy together due to 15 more health for triplejumping and no fall damage being taken? Well balls.

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
Something just hit me: They have people submitting new weapon designs all the time, so many that they have to keep making up stupid new stat tweaks to justify using them. And yet the best thing they could come up with for the Escape Plan was a reskin of the Equalizer made of slightly lighter gray metal with a blood stain on it?

henke37

aa
Sep 23, 2011
They also mirrored the backpack icon.