Aug 14, 2022
spruce updated Tasmania with a new update entry:

Alpha 16 released

"Quote"
- Person being quoted

koth_tasmania_a160008.jpg

Alpha 16 is here!

Changes:

The map is more exposed to the skybox, to take advantage of this I moved the Sun closer to the sea again.

Optimized general brushwork yet again

Spawnrooms have been lightly decorated and slightly reshaped
Your feedback did not fall to deaf ears: I'm planning on how to introduce a diagonal spawnroom to redirect players into the point, do not worry.
[ATTACH...

Read the rest of this update entry...

spruce

L2: Junior Member
Aug 14, 2022

Alpha 17 released

"After 9 years 1 day in development hopefully it would have been worth the wait"
- GabeN spruce, on Tasmania A17

koth_tasmania_a170002.jpg

Ready? here it comes!
Changes:

Optimized brushwork, again.

ALL (almost all) LIGHTS HAVE LAMP MODELS!

Fixed insane sightline from right flank to spawnrooms.

Ramp inside room to capture point's balcony ratio adjusted from 1:1 to 1:2 so it's less steep...

Undercover Fish

L1: Registered
Nov 16, 2014
Going off my memory from an IMP maptest; You've got a pretty solid KOTH layout here. I haven't played every class enough on it to fully judge, but the one thing I love is that every side-room is very interesting to throw down in. The tiny little elevation changes make for avoiding the boring-ness of something like Harvest. The alternating one-way drops next to the point also gave some really interesting opportunities for everybody, but I found that Heavy especially enjoyed them. He could make up for his movement speed by jumping down from it and stuffing anybody using that flank.

My main issue is with that drop-down though. I think you should extend the cover (fences) up all the way to the roof, and maybe make it opaque. As Scout, I could repeatedly double-jump above it and take bites out of a poor engineer and his buildings below, and he had no recourse. In fact, the only real counter to that would be Demoman's arcing projectiles. In general, it feels kind of exposed, and if somebody's coming from it, it's obvious from half the area, nullifying the surprise. That might be on purpose though, which I get. It has the potential to be quite strong as-is.

spruce

Aug 14, 2022
Going off my memory from an IMP maptest; You've got a pretty solid KOTH layout here. I haven't played every class enough on it to fully judge, but the one thing I love is that every side-room is very interesting to throw down in. The tiny little elevation changes make for avoiding the boring-ness of something like Harvest. The alternating one-way drops next to the point also gave some really interesting opportunities for everybody, but I found that Heavy especially enjoyed them. He could make up for his movement speed by jumping down from it and stuffing anybody using that flank.

My main issue is with that drop-down though. I think you should extend the cover (fences) up all the way to the roof, and maybe make it opaque. As Scout, I could repeatedly double-jump above it and take bites out of a poor engineer and his buildings below, and he had no recourse. In fact, the only real counter to that would be Demoman's arcing projectiles. In general, it feels kind of exposed, and if somebody's coming from it, it's obvious from half the area, nullifying the surprise. That might be on purpose though, which I get. It has the potential to be quite strong as-is.
The fence that is on the point's side was more or less decorative as it used to be a skybox-tall wall which looked ugly, I had plans to add metal sheets on top of the fence to still allow visibility but not interaction, I'm not sure about making it opaque however, the height advantage is very good and allows anyone standing there to attack with full damage ramp up to 3 locations; the Point-to-right flank entry (Under balcony), Point-to-balcony entry (Crate and train wheels) and the Ramp-to-balcony (Brick room), and also onto the point if you go on the fence.

I will decide whether or not it remains opaque after the next test, Thanks for the Insight.

spruce

Aug 14, 2022

Alpha 18 released

"Play this map or I'll follow you home and eat your Sandviches"

koth_tasmania_a170002.jpg

Anyways;
Alpha 18 release, A19 might never exist because I'm planning on Moving to Beta 1 after this update, will this map reach final? only time will tell.

Changelog:

Added tiny vent to right flank, this is an alternative path to weaken spawn-camping and allow more back-line movement and a silent entrance to the room.
koth_tasmania_a180031.jpg[ATTACH...

spruce

Aug 14, 2022

Version A19 Released

"I'll release Beta 1 after this! I s-swear!"
- Me on A18, a complete buffoon

After taking a break (Working behind the scenes) on A19 it's finally here, the update everyone (some people) have been waiting for!

koth_tasmania_a190017.jpg

---------------------------------------------------------------
Here are the major changes:

Revamped spawn-rooms to make the right flank more usable and alleviate the spawn-camping problem
koth_tasmania_a190009.jpg[ATTACH...

spruce

Aug 14, 2022

It's finally here.

Tasmania has entered Beta!

Been a bit (3 weeks) but we're back.

Changelog:
Removed a few Area-portals, might be reverted depending on performance

Lightly optimized vis-leaves

Revamped skybox (Not final!)

Updated Lighting, Sun position and Fog

Made the map palette smaller by changing and reusing textures

Very little layout changes as I doubt there's any big issue with it

spruce

Aug 14, 2022

Beta 2 has been released

This update changes very little of the gameplay elements and focuses mostly on detailling

Changelog:

Updated 3D skybox which includes displacement, models, lighting and fog

Added very aggressive optimization methods such as a closer Far Z clip, Nodraw textures and low fade distance on multiple props

Detailed OOB areas a bit more so the skybox doesn't look as dull, not final.

Updated a few lights and the environment lighting

Added a ton of decorative overlays and ropes/cables

Cleaned a...

spruce

Aug 14, 2022

Beta 3 release

Beta 3 release, contains multiple detailing updates which are not final but pave the way into what the map will look like

koth_tasmania_b30013.jpg

Changelog:
Gameplay

Wooden structure besides hut has been turned into an extension of the hut allowing for more cover and a very risky yet aggressive engineer nest position, as this is a gameplay change the hut was not decorated properly

Levelled the ceilings in the concrete building which add...

spruce

Aug 14, 2022

Tasmania: Similar ideas, new layout.

Hello again, it's been a while since the last update, hasn't it? Specifically 471 days! That's a damn long time, I would explain why it took this much but it's out of the scope of this changelog and might be explained later as well as the reason for a whole revamp, anyways, here's the actual post:

Tasmania Beta 3 -> Tasmania Alpha 20 Update​

Changelog:

\> Revamped entire map while keeping a very similar layout and some of the original ideas...