Spy Story, A TR Map with some Story

Algebraic

L1: Registered
Jul 18, 2010
After I finish this map
I will post a "template" to other people see how it work and make your own :D
The only thing that I can't see a way to do is saving your progress, If it is impossible to make I think I will ask to Robin to use some code from HL2 or Alien Swarm

Well, you could simply break the map into multiple maps. First map has first 5 quests, second map has next 5, etc. That way the player just loads the part they are on....if you wanted to be really specific you could make a map for each mission, but thats gonna be a lot of maps, which can be annoying.

danisson

Oct 31, 2009
Well, you could simply break the map into multiple maps. First map has first 5 quests, second map has next 5, etc. That way the player just loads the part they are on....if you wanted to be really specific you could make a map for each mission, but thats gonna be a lot of maps, which can be annoying.
That why I didn't made this because I made the option to kill friendly NPCs :s

duton1

Aug 22, 2010
So I just got through playing this map, As for the game mechanics i noticed that I was auto balanced once and had to switch back to BLU.

The map needs cubemaps
Some of the measurements are off, including the sniper building, you have to crouch to get in and out and the building if "Floating"

The lighting is very dull.

That's about it, looking forward to new releases.

EDIT: Also in the sniper tower the stairs are to tall to walk up at some points, and I fell off numerous times trying to get to the top by jumping.

danisson

Oct 31, 2009
So I just got through playing this map, As for the game mechanics i noticed that I was auto balanced once and had to switch back to BLU.

The map needs cubemaps
Some of the measurements are off, including the sniper building, you have to crouch to get in and out and the building if "Floating"

The lighting is very dull.

That's about it, looking forward to new releases.

EDIT: Also in the sniper tower the stairs are to tall to walk up at some points, and I fell off numerous times trying to get to the top by jumping.
Yeah, I know about cubemaps.
The crouching was made to be required.
Yes, Lighting isn't the strong point in my maps, I ask to my brother finish my maps, this is like a experiment for me
The autobalance is a server cvar, so I'm going to use a entity (that I forgot the name) to remove the "waiting for players", Timelimit and autobalance
I'm going to remake the Sniper tower in Skecthup :D
Thanks for the feedback

Last edited:

duton1

Aug 22, 2010
Yeah, I know about cubemaps.
The crouching was made to be required.
Yes, Lighting isn't the strong point in my maps, I ask to my brother finish my maps, this is like a experiment for me
The autobalance is a server cvar, so I'm going to use a entity (that I forgot the name) to remove the "waiting for players", Timelimit and autobalance
I'm going to remake the Sniper tower in Skecthup :D
Thanks for the feedback

No problem!

AxiomaticFrood

Aug 18, 2010
I had actually been considering doing something similar to this since the bot AI has become almost competent... I'll be interested to see exactly how this turns out.

lucky

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
May 25, 2009
Oh man I loved the new screens you put up :D
I think the heavy should be the one asking for sniper to be killed though maybe?

danisson

Oct 31, 2009
Oh man I loved the new screens you put up :D
I think the heavy should be the one asking for sniper to be killed though maybe?
Thanks, I think I will post more screenshots and the reward for completing a achievement :D
I will change the Scout to a Heavy because It makes more sense (The Scout was a place holder since he is the first class)
And one more quest :D

danisson

Oct 31, 2009
Still busy with RL
So I'm compiling a stable version for you guys
Still no music, Still using the Scout as placeholder, only two quests yet.
I will post later a vmf with the basic entities for a "quest" since I'm with no time X(
But it will automatically remove the Autobalance and "Waiting for Players"
EDIT: And hopefully with some bots walking in the map :D
EDIT2: I'm going to post the progress on my Tumblr if anyone want to see it :D

Owlruler

L12: Fabulous Member
Dec 10, 2008
Maybe use a game_ui instead of shooting buttons for player choices of their quests. It's a much cleaner and less 'in your face' way of doing it.