Spacebase

RD Spacebase a3

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
Instead of a flag, a reactor core..thing.. behind a big set of blast doors that only open once C bots are dead.

I'd like for it to still be a stealing mechanic, but that's not possible currently.

worMatty

Repacking Evangelist
aa
Jul 22, 2014
Looks good so far. I look forward to playing on it.

Mar 23, 2010
good stealing idea

Berry

resident homo
aa
Dec 27, 2012
I don't suppose while you were putting together the entities from asteroid you set up a prefab for them? I bet lots of people would find one helpful

T

The Asylum

I don't suppose while you were putting together the entities from asteroid you set up a prefab for them? I bet lots of people would find one helpful

Yes, help make more Melee Fort possible :3

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007

I did, but mine doesn't include anything to do with the bs intel mechanic.

Turbo Lover

Fight me under Glasgow Central Station
aa
Feb 15, 2011
I'd like to raise a concern with your take on the core stealing mechanic.

In theory, Asteroid's core stealing mechanic is a very high risk/high reward way for losing teams to make a comeback. In the best case scenario, it completely reverses the teams' positions, but even if the capture fails, it creates opportunity for the losing team to reposition themselves further forward, where they can begin to gain points through killing robots.

By contrast, your core stealing mechanic is integrated into the central robot destruction mechanic, which excludes its use by teams that lack the competence and organisation required to destroy all bot groups - typically, the team that's already losing. Furthermore, destroying the last robot is no easy feat, as it's considerably beefier than the ones featured in Asteroid and it's directly in front of the defending team's spawn doors. Teams that are co-ordinated enough to pull it off are probably going to win anyway, but with how this mechanic is currently set up, teams that can destroy the final robot could easily spawn enough points from the enemy's core to win the game after completely wiping the enemy's robots a single time - all it takes is a weapon with fully automatic fire, and enough points can be spawned to win, which would of course be amplified by having multiple players attacking it.

Not only does your mechanic do away with a losing team's trump card, it seems to reward the team that manages to completely dominate the other by giving them a very high reward for the decidedly low risk act of shooting a wall.

I would suggest that for now, you either completely remove the core stealing mechanic or implement the one used in Asteroid. My long-term suggestion would be to find a way to implement the existing mechanic in a way that is separate from the main robot destruction mechanic, and that should make it more accessible to teams that are losing.

Last edited:

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
You raise valid points about risk/reward. I should definitely separate the core from the bot distruction.
But the flag mechanic is so terrible I definitely won't be reverting to that. I'll look at the core and how to open that.

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
I say congratulations you played spy effectively and the opposing team failed to notice. How is that going to be different from any other rd map though? Or any other instance where a spy or a scout backcaps without the other team noticing?

Trotim

aa
Jul 14, 2009
What's wrong with the core intel mechanic?

I say congratulations you played spy effectively and the opposing team failed to notice. How is that going to be different from any other rd map though? Or any other instance where a spy or a scout backcaps without the other team noticing?
On Asteroid one player could never steal the core without most of the defending team noticing. You have to make it out the base and get back into your own after all (which can be more difficult than you'd think when the attacker portion of the enemy team is currently around your A/B)

Last edited:

worMatty

Repacking Evangelist
aa
Jul 22, 2014
Sorry folks. I'm new to TF2maps. I've searched the forum for an answer but haven't found it. Is YM's alpha RD map playable somewhere?

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
What's wrong with the core intel mechanic?
It's terrible. Either the intel is getting stolen left right and centre, or there's an impenetrable swarm of engineers around it. I have -never once- seen -anybody- carrying the intel, the hud is so freakin terrible I can't even tell where it's supposed to be, it needs the compasses like regular CTF has if it's going to have a CTF mechanic.

On Asteroid one player could never steal the core without most of the defending team noticing. You have to make it out the base and get back into your own after all (which can be more difficult than you'd think when the attacker portion of the enemy team is currently around your A/B)
True, but a single player could do exactly what tumb did and go shoot the robots without anyone noticing.

Sorry folks. I'm new to TF2maps. I've searched the forum for an answer but haven't found it. Is YM's alpha RD map playable somewhere?

we played a1 a few days ago and while I'm working on a2

worMatty

Repacking Evangelist
aa
Jul 22, 2014
It's terrible. Either the intel is getting stolen left right and centre, or there's an impenetrable swarm of engineers around it. I have -never once- seen -anybody- carrying the intel
But that's normal gameplay isn't it?

I've played a lot on Valve's European servers, and have found the intel mechanic to work, and be exploited well, by players who know how the game works.

the hud is so freakin terrible I can't even tell where it's supposed to be, it needs the compasses like regular CTF has if it's going to have a CTF mechanic.
I think the HUD could still use a little work. But I don't have a problem with the thief icon. You can work out how far the carrier is through the map by the position of the icon. Half-way obviously means he's at the bridge area. I don't think a directional indicator is necessary in Asteroid due to the fact the paths are all close together. And due to the fact that the carrier must stay in the vault for a while to collect any cores, so the defending team has plenty of time to respond, and prepare for him. The environments are open, with windows, so the carrier is not hard to spot, if you just look around. Therein lies the challenge. And if the carrier is close to his base's vault, then the defending team can respond by stealing cores from their vault, before the total winds up to 300.

The only concern I have is, what happens when a mapper makes a map which is non-linear, or not 'straight' enough, and the thief icon gets confused. Would they introduce path_tracks to make it more accurate?

we played a1 a few days ago and while I'm working on a2
Cheers, buddy.