Spacebase

RD Spacebase a3

RaVaGe

aa
Jun 23, 2010
Imo your map doesn't work as much as asteroid, I felt like both team was only able to destroy the first robots, I disconnected seeing how much points we still had to cap before having the opportunity to steal the core.

Also your map and asteroid doesn't work because it's based on the ctf pattern, where you split the team into two type, those who defends and those who attack, it doesn't work, like at all, most of the time the fight happens at the middle, and everyone dies here, imo the ctf gamemode is just a DM map where you have to try to don't die in the middle. You can do much better with tf2, especially with the A/D pattern.

I have an idea, do you remember pl_problematique ? Why not try something like that, where you have to steal as much points as possible, while the other team defend. You don't have to use the robots like on asteroid, but there's still something to destroy to steal the points.

hfg.jpg

So after the two rounds, those with the most points win.

It's just an idea, but it will be way more fun that what you have there imo, anyway I don't know if I should have posted that on your thread or the asteroid one ahah.

Last edited:

worMatty

Repacking Evangelist
aa
Jul 22, 2014
Also your map and asteroid doesn't work because it's based on the ctf pattern, where you split the team into two type, those who defends and those who attack, it doesn't work, like at all, most of the time the fight happens at the middle, and everyone dies here, imo the ctf gamemode is just a DM map where you have to try to don't die in the middle. You can do much better with tf2, especially with the A/D pattern.
Two observations. I've played on Asteroid quite a bit, and it does work. CTF works. It depends on the layout of the map. For example, ctf_doublecross and 2fort have alternative routes, which splits the action up and provides a way for certain classes to avoid open battle. I saw more open battle in the mid section of YM's map than Asteroid, but that could be due to the fact his mid point felt more open. On Asteroid, the distance between the bases is low. So is the distance between each team's set of A bots. So it focuses more of the action on the robots, and inside the bases, where the architecture is more complex and compact. Of course it could be down to spawn rates, too.

I have an idea, do you remember pl_problematique ? Why not try something like that, where you have to steal as much points as possible, while the other team defend. You don't have to use the robots like on asteroid, but there's still something to destroy to steal the points.
Given how long a round of Asteroid can last, I expect a mapper would have to be very careful with his layout and logic to provide a balanced experience in an Attack/Defend RD scenario. An attacking team could just destroy the A robots all the time to reach the win limit, and never have to venture further in to the base. Rather than come up with a complex solution to avoid that, it would probably be better for all, to just make a typical A/D control point map.

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
It's just an idea, but it will be way more fun that what you have there imo, anyway I don't know if I should have posted that on your thread or the asteroid one ahah.

Here's good. I'm open to radical changes to get the gamemode to something fun. I see Asteroid as more of a 3 way team split: Attacking enemy bots, defending the base, sneaky annoying fuckers going for the flag. I was trying to reduce it to just a two way split.

I might investigate the idea of taking it in turns, or even just doing plain old A/D.
Turbo Lover is trying a Stop The Tank! style mode where one high-hp bot travels around a payloadesque track. He has checkpoints like payload does so if the bot gets destroyed, it resets to the last checkpoint (maximum of 3 bots iirc). Sounds like a fun mode.

@Rizz
Generous offer, while I'm still working primarily on other stuff this project is very much just in my spare time. I'll get in touch if and when.

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
? Why are you reposting that question? I responded to it.
Here it my answer again: Thanks, but I don't need anything now. I'll get in touch if I do in the future.

Fruity Snacks

Creator of blackholes & memes. Destroyer of forums
aa
Sep 5, 2010
Feedback time, yo.

So I like the take on the gamemode. It felt relatively simple to understand (maybe find a few voice lines to support it, however?) and was pretty fun. So far, felt pretty balanced in terms of the gamemode. These are merely weird critiques I have so far for the map/gamemode. Take it as you wish.

Quick things first, Spawn. I like the pod, but the one door and easy-to-get-to-ness of area made it prone to some camping. The campers were handled easily, but it was a little annoying to have it happen a few times. Honestly, first time it felt like it the three doors were the actual exits (Something to like how Zinkenite or GPit did their exits) but that was wrong. Maybe they should be?
spacebase_feedback_6.png

I'll be brutally honest: This room felt useless. it felt big and unnecessary. My suggestion is, if you absolutely need an area there, make a little side route (where the poorly drawn stick figure is).
spacebase_feedback_5.png

Pretty self explainatory here. This area always felt dangerous because of the sunkeness of it, and all the little routes/ledges/perches that enemies could be coming from. The thinness of the walkable areas didn't help.
spacebase_feedback_4.png

This area felt weird because it felt like the main exit out of spawn, yet was the most dangerous. You come out with minimal cover and visibility up top and had a couple of tight areas to run up. Was not fun at all. I like the formation, but it's just a little too jaggedy/such to move around with.
spacebase_feedback_3.png

Again, self explainatory. Running up this route was a bit weird because I was turning a bunch to get to where I wanted to be. Visibility was rough and I found myself getting into fights here a lot more than I probably should've. It was an awkward area to fight in. The little tight cave, I like it, but it just feels a little out of place.
spacebase_feedback_2.png

Alright, the BIG feedback I have. The bots. This is one of those "If you don't like it, don't go for it thing" but here we go. Right now, the bots are really spread out and no rhyme or reason to their location. This kind of can confuse players and can scramble flow. Everyone on the point holding team splits up, to kill all the various different and the point becomes pretty uncontested. Ontop of that, without any sort of flow post-cap, it's hard for engies to really set up and protect their bots.

So, I have 2 suggestestions, one of which is illustrated, the other I JUST thought of, so will verbally describe it.

First: Linear flow of bots with increasing difficulty and rewards. After the point, there would be a 'buffer' area, then the first area of bots. These would be relatively easy to get, and provide little powercores. The next area would be harder to get, more cores in return, and the third area would be hardest to get, but the most rewards. I think making them all active at once (not A > B > C group kill progression like asteroid) is the best idea, so it gives the adventurous player a chance to be adventurous. The zones don't have to linear from the point per-se. It's the idea of farther from the point = harder to get = more reward is what I had in mind. Right now, you don't really have that, it's pretty scattery.
spacebase_feedback.png

Second idea: Radial split where the 'branch' to the radial zones is a couple of chokes. This gives a bit of an equal difficulty to get to all the bots, with relatively equal reward, but might be easier to design for. Just a random idea I had that might work.

Anywho, thats it for now. Take it as you wish. Liking the idea so far though for the gamemode. Bug me if you want more of my opinions.