So has everyone given up on the idea of destroying robots?

Oct 6, 2008
Ok - a newbie look at it or me

The scoring in Asteroid is straight forward. You kill enemy robots and collect their cores.
^ This part I get

As you kill one set of robots, the next set is unlocked and you must travel deeper in to the enemy base in order to reach them.
^ This part I get

'A' bots drop the lowest amount of cores, while the 'C' bots drop the highest.
^ This part I get

At any time, you can venture to the back of the enemy base and steal their reactor core. This is a flag which is a type of container.
^ Why would you do this?

The longer you stand on the point, the more the container is filled with robot cores.
^ What point? Where? Don't you already have cores from killing the robots? How long do you or should you stand there? Is there a limit? Are the cores from the robots you've killed added into the container or do you need to kill more?

This is the part that's confusing for brand new players. We had 32 players (TF2 veterans) who had a hard time figuring it out when we tried it. Perhaps the instructions for the game mode should be more like:

1. Kill Robots > get points > get more and higher level points by killing more robots the further inside the enemy's you go. These points get added to your teams core points

2. Point Score Acceleration > Get to the Vault > grab a Core Package > Points start being added into the package - the longer you stay in the vault to more points are added to the package > when you decide or are forced to leave the vault, carry your package to your team's vault. Upon successful transport all the points are added to your team's core points.
If you drop the package enroute to your vault you team has to pick it up within a certain period of time or the package it lost and you have to go back to the enemy's vault to get a new one.

When a team reaches the win limit of 300 cores, the game starts a countdown. At the end of the countdown, if the team still has 300 cores, they will win. This countdown gives the enemy team chance to make a mad push for the core, to delay or prevent the victory by stealing it.
^ Ok countdown starts - but there's no explanation as to why how my team would not have 300 there'e no explanation as to why the other team would need to push for the vault and it doesn't say what happens if your core is still in play (being transported)

3. When your team's core points reach 300, the countdown timer is activated - when hit hit's zero (and you still have 300 core points) your team wins. If the other team's countdown has started, get to the their core to stop the clock. When you get to the vault and stop the clock, the enemy team looses 50 points forcing them to go on another core run or to kill more robots to get the score back to 300 and restart the clock. If you get to the vault and stop the clock and pick up a core then the enemy team looses an extra 50 points - you can then decide how long to stay in the vault to get the acceleration points.

Well anyways, I/we still not sure how the entire thing works - however I do like flexibility to other stuff / game modes that are potentially possible. I've been wondering if mode can be converted over to a payload hybrid map and was wondering if any one has tried it out.

Here's What I have been thinking:
Payload Starts Empty (or locked) - use the points system to power up the payload - team needs to get to a power core - power it up and take it to the payload to activate it, when all attackers on the payload are dead - the power core resets and the attackers have to get a new power core to the cart to get it operational again. No capture points to add the time - just power up core nodes. Thinking of calling it plpu_ payload power up. You could also kill robots for extra points too - these points go straight to the power core.

UKCS-Alias

Mann vs Machine... or... Mapper vs Meta?
aa
Sep 8, 2008
Personaly i think the mode is flawed as soon as it contains a flag that is too deep in the base (2fort being a main offender). It gets worse when that objective doesnt even matter. I rather would have seen the requirement to capture the flag as the thing that sets the gamemode. The robot killing (and maybe core stealing) only making it easier to reach the flag (opening doors, reducing the lasers, reducing the respawn time or whatever).

A gamemode that is complex should have some sense of logic. This means that A results into making B easier. cp_steel shows that exact same logic. And its easy to understand. Taking it further. In mvm bots can take the bomb to the hatch, at the meantime bots can also capture. the capture results in 1 extra bomb and a spawn closer to the hatch. And mannhattan is considered complex by many.

Asteroid has a system that lacks logic. There is no reason to ever try to get the flag as taking out the robots is a much easier to task to perform and is equaly effective. To make the flag worth it, it should for example reset the enemy core number completely. Even if at 300, 1 capture should set it to 0 to make it work. Or maybe steal half/all/75% of the total collected enemy cores to at least keep the cores in the game.

People take the path of least resistance unless the harder path has a huge boost. In cp_steel its an instant win. In asteroid its simply not worth it.