Slate

Slate b2

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
This may come as a shock to some of you, and hopefully most of you. But I've not been entirely honest with you about the developement of this map and neither had An Icy Mouse. Now its crunch time I've decided to come clean.

An Icy Mouse [WOE]
a n i c y m o u s e w o e
How about if i rearrange them a bit??
i o n c e w a s y o u m e
I once was Youme

Yep. An Icy Mouse is me, YM, always has been me and as of now will only serve as my clean install of tf2 to test pakrating of maps. I decided i needed a break from being Youme for a while so i created an icy mouse as a pen name. When i had started I had hoped to completely shed Youme as my alias and become an icy mouse full time.

Things never work out quite how you plan but I did drop Youme, as many of you will notice I've been using just YM for the last few months, a full new alias wasn't quite right for me.

So with my confession I can gladly tell you slate is now within the boundaries of the ctf competition once more. Since icy and me are one and the same there is no issue of collaboration and in the last two weeks I've painstakingly undone all the work ZPQ contributed and replaced it with my own work.

So, ladies and Gentlemen, I proudly present my first alpine themed map, something i know some people will be rather happy about!!

Original post:

*resurrected*
For those of you not in the steam group chat regularly or who haven't checked the blog section you won't have seen the first few screens of a new map of mine. It's a little different from what you might expect, it's a testbed for an upcoming contest, here's how it works:
  • Three stages (like dustbowl)
  • Blue attacking, red defending (like dustbowl)
  • Inteligence (Like 2fort)
  • Blue carry the intel from their spawn in each stage to the first cap of each stage, then after a 5 second delay they're given a new briefcase at that point to progress to the next point.
I've put the 5 second delay before a new briefcase is delivered to them in because I'm very aware of how badly it could get scout rushed, but with a gap between reaching the first point and being able to continue any reds in the area should have a change to kill any blues nearby, giving them a little more time to set up further back. This hopefully will be a fun gamemode (I realise it's been attempted a few times before) and if there's enough interest in it, it might reach a larger scale contest.

So far I've got a fully working entity setup and 1.5 stages of the map roughed out. and I mean rough! If you can remember this time last year you may remember a map that never took off (cp_schism), well combining that with dustbowl has lead me to something that looks like this:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/28746141@N08/3337389381/
Stage 1, part 1

http://www.flickr.com/photos/28746141@N08/3338219436/
Stage 1, part 2

http://www.flickr.com/photos/28746141@N08/3345518118/
Stage 2, part 1

Last edited by a moderator:

Void

Local Man Unable To Map, Sources Say
aa
Sep 14, 2008
CTF_Cavalcade or CTF_Cavalry?

Last edited:

Mar

Banned
Feb 12, 2009
EDIT: mmhm ninja'd my post.

Don't quote me on this, but didn't TFC have that as the orginal CP game mode, or the A&D mode? I thought that you had to move the flag up to cap the CP?

Very nice that your bringing this back.

QQ: How do you plan for the Flag reset timer to be?

PS. Why do your screenshots look so pretty?

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
EDIT: mmhm ninja'd my post.
Don't quote me on this, but didn't TFC have that as the orginal CP game mode, or the A&D mode? I thought that you had to move the flag up to cap the CP?
Very nice that your bringing this back.
I don't know exactly how the TFC version works out, having never played it.

QQ: How do you plan for the Flag reset timer to be?
At the moment its at 20 seconds (usual is 60) but I think depending totally on play testing it could go down as low as 5 meaning SG's will have to be taken out before the courier gets there or a team mate will have to jump in and take it another route quickly. It also will mean Uber's will be more of a support thing (since you can't uber a courier..) promoting teamwork

StoneFrog

L6: Sharp Member
May 28, 2008
GOGO TEAM FORTRESS CLASSIC REMAKES!

Anyway, TFC didn't have control point capturing the way you know it in TF2. For all maps involving them, whether it was territorial or attack/defend, you always brought a flag to the point. Cap was instant.

It may be worth pointing out however, as a counter, in TFC the flag in capture point maps would slow you down a considerable bit when held (it was necessary since you could practically concussion jump past the sentries and land on the point if you were skilled enough). Can that be done in TF2?

Void

aa
Sep 14, 2008
So the Intel is BLU's, right? They just keep pushing it up? What would their Goal be if all they were doing is bringing their enemies their (BLU's) own intel?

MrAlBobo

L13: Stunning Member
Feb 20, 2008
I don't know exactly how the TFC version works out, having never played it.

For your reference then this is precisely how the TFC dustbowl worked, it work reasonably well, I considered doing this...but cp just seems more fun. Regardless we'll see how it turns out

Void

aa
Sep 14, 2008
Actually this is just like a Dynamic Payload map but with no explosion... or is there?

Edit:

Sorry, posting too much in this thread.

Last edited:

StoneFrog

L6: Sharp Member
May 28, 2008
Actually this is just like a Dynamic Payload map but with no explosion... or is there?

Just a fade to black, an awesome (yet painfully ear-splitting) victory fanfare, some sexy green text, and the soothing voice of the Black Mesa Intercom. :D

GrimGriz

L10: Glamorous Member
Jan 2, 2009
Are you going to make explosions? That's always good times.

CTF_ponyexpress?

dirtyminuth

L5: Dapper Member
Nov 5, 2007
A ha! cp_schism lives on in multiple incarnations!

Looking forward to trying out the new gametype, too ;-)

Zeewier

L9: Fashionable Member
Sep 20, 2008
An intel to cap an point?

Will you use a flag/bomb model/hud/sound replacement?

name: ctf_fissure ?

Mar

Banned
Feb 12, 2009
Maybe it should be ctf_cp_<insert map name>?

Ezekel

L11: Posh Member
Dec 16, 2008
something i think many have wanted to see tried out, and something i was thinking of trying out myself in the near future.
hum, names...
well the 1st pic makes one name come to mind immediately: cp_fracture due to the cracked ground.

um if we stick with ground/geo type names, a 2nd idea is this:
cp_carnelian
the carnelian is more commonly known as a blood stone, and considering the amount of blood that is shed in an average tf2 game, i think it's kinda fitting.

cp_savant - based off the idea that only the one person can hold the intel, and thus initiate a capture (making them the savant sorta - being very good at one thing).

one last idea:
cp_reckless
short for Reckless Abandon - since i predict a lot of reckless charge attempts.

Feb 14, 2008
ctf_schism ;D

ctf_scablands - an interesting geological phenomena you could exploit, I was going to use it, but then I'm crap at displacements and it doesn't really fit my map http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scablands

or ctf_coulee - a generic term used for landforms similar to valleys http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coulee

Fracture sounds good, but it sounds too much like... I dunno. I don't like it :)

Last edited: