Shell

Ida

deer
aa
Jan 6, 2008
Meh, I knew I'd forget to pack something... :p

So, I've started beta now. It'll mainly contain new details, lighting, sounds, etc... Here's a little teaser. It's not much to look at, but I'll make sure to take some more screens at a later time.

koth_shell_b10000.jpg

Ida

deer
aa
Jan 6, 2008
Sorry for the double post, but I have a question regarding the battlements by the mines. Does anyone have an opinion on whether I should add some stairs/ramps up there to increase the use? I think it's a good idea, because it's so underused, but on the other hand it might cause more spam...

Hellfire

L9: Fashionable Member
Jul 9, 2008
i suppose you should not add more ladders. more people play,better they will use exsisting routes. you should probably change that one ive already pointed at, but thats it. also i still recomend to decrease cap time abit. and increase overall hold time, lso only abit. But this is up to you

Ida

deer
aa
Jan 6, 2008
But Shell has been tested a lot in our servers, so many people know it. I'm always more drawn towards the large mid building and the middle arena as well. Another reason to add ladders here is that you have to go down and up a winding path to get to a decent position, so I think people would appreciate a shorter route. That said, I want to listen to all of you.

Regarding the timer, it won't change, because it's the koth standard. I'm not so sure about changing the capture time either. I've actually thought about increasing it, but right now I'm not going anywhere with it. We'll see in b2, this is more of a detail I'd change after releasing it to many large communities and seeing how it works with different people.

Ida

deer
aa
Jan 6, 2008
Beta teasers! Here are some examples of the details you'll see in b1. Notice the decent lighting. :p

koth_shell_b10001.jpg

koth_shell_b10002.jpg

koth_shell_b10003.jpg

koth_shell_b10004.jpg

koth_shell_b10005.jpg

Acumen

Annoyer
aa
Jun 11, 2009
uuuuuuh, thats some nice improvements. i wouldn't put two of the wooden crates on the truck. makes it look even more underscaled. looks like a toy car.
but overall great progress !

Steff0o

L6: Sharp Member
May 31, 2009
same as above, i really like your map, btw, there is a really cool animated model for that air intake model

Ida

deer
aa
Jan 6, 2008
Shell is alive. Just look at the details I've produced so far!

koth_shell_b10001-2.jpg

koth_shell_b10000.jpg

koth_shell_b10002.jpg

koth_shell_b10004-2.jpg

koth_shell_b10005-2.jpg

Note: These screenshots are from a fast compile.

You can expect b1 in... well, the future. I don't want to make any promises, but I'm working on it!

Last edited:

Ida

deer
aa
Jan 6, 2008
It's almost in beta!!!

koth_shell_btest1 released!
  • Lots of details (not entirely finished yet!).
  • Got rid of the old windowed doors from Double Cross.
  • Added sounds.
  • Completely replaced the mock lighting with proper lights.
  • Made it more obvious which window is open in the dropdown to battlements.
  • Added another dropdown here to avoid this being a dead end.
  • Raised the top of the skybox.
  • Added more cubemaps.
  • Added some ammo in the rocket silo.

But hold your horses there! This is an internal beta test, so don't distribute it all over the place please (if you for some reason want to). This isn't B1, if the name didn't tip you off. There are still a few issues with the map that don't qualify it for a beta release.
  • Graphical bugs that I dunno how to fix (disappearing brush faces and props near skybox brushes) <-- That's the big one
  • General polish
  • I don't know what kind of optimization players expect. I've done a good effort I feel, but I need to have it tested in a real game.
  • The file size is also a little big, gonna have to remove some custom props.

Regardless, I hope you enjoy my first (almost) beta release. Here are some screenshots.

koth_shell_b10001.jpg

koth_shell_b10002.jpg

koth_shell_b10003.jpg

koth_shell_b10004.jpg

koth_shell_b10005.jpg

koth_shell_b10006.jpg

koth_shell_b10007.jpg

koth_shell_b10008.jpg

Last edited:

Hanz

Ravin' Rabbid
aa
Jan 18, 2009
That's definately looking awesome.

Feb 14, 2008
Needs more 3D skybox (the water for it is ugly)! But otherwise, great.

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
The broken floors downstairs should probably be playerclipped, just because walking over it is jerky. And the TOP SECRET doors need to be playerclipped as well.

kothshellbtest10002.jpg

Some z-fighting on the sides of this door. And the door itself probably ought to be playerclipped.

Hellfire

L9: Fashionable Member
Jul 9, 2008
fix the visual issues and its a candy :D

but please leave some issues there or you will have nothing to do for _Rc