Sectioning off parts of a map?

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by noodleboy347, Jun 4, 2010.

1. noodleboy347

noodleboy347 L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    I'm trying to section my map into two different parts. From one area, the rest of the map should not be visible. When I try to do this, I can still see the map in the 3D skybox, which lowers my FPS by about half. Currently, I've placed the two areas are in their own separate skyboxes like so:

[​IMG]

The result looks like this:

[​IMG]

How can I make it so I can't see the other area in the skybox?

2. Geal

Geal L4: Comfortable Member

Positive Ratings:
    If it doesn't matter how the two relate spatially, why not set one above the other?

Edit: oh duh, this would still cause framerate drops. Ignore me I'm dumb. :V

Last edited: Jun 4, 2010
  3. Exist

Exist L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    I'd try an area portal that is always closed.

4. noodleboy347

Positive Ratings:
    I'm also a noob with optimizing maps... so firstly, how would I use an area portal, and what's a good optimization tutorial?

5. A Boojum Snark

aa A Boojum Snark Toraipoddodezain Mazahabado

Positive Ratings:
    I'm guessing you didn't run VVIS or you ran it on fast. If it's on full that shouldn't happen.

6. Lancey

aa Lancey Currently On: ?????

Positive Ratings:
    That, or your map is leaking.

7. noodleboy347

Positive Ratings:
    I made sure there's no leaks, and I didn't run VVIS or VRAD since I was testing some changes quickly. I'll try compiling on normal now, thanks.

8. Bad Vlad

Bad Vlad L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
    Well, that's silly. VVIS manages the whole 'sectioning' thing, so if you don't run it, all of your map will be rendered at all times.

By the way, if you don't want the 3D skybox to be drawn, use the '2D skybox' tooltexture, but make sure there isn't an instance of the regular texture within range of being rendered. VVIS needed again.