Schism

Sgt Frag

L14: Epic Member
May 20, 2008
I had fun and generall like the layout and style you're going with.

I did try engie for awhile when it was said sentries couldn't be built. It was hard trying to build with another engie.

I think the main issue is is that the entire middle is open from front to back. Almost spawn to spawn, so rockets and snipers rule. Would be good to divide that sightline some.

I also think widening the mid would be a good improvement. Seems like all the paths converge right there but there's not alot of space between right and left sides, plus a sniper up on platform in back could cover it all it seems.

Maybe the side routes could come out to mid at same level as mid, maybe higher (but lower than the balconies. Maybe a drop down to mid with a crouch or double jump to get back up. And maybe not drop right on to point but back a bit.

Looking foward to seeing progress.

Scotland Tom

L6: Sharp Member
Jan 19, 2008
I think the main issue is is that the entire middle is open from front to back. Almost spawn to spawn, so rockets and snipers rule. Would be good to divide that sightline some.

I think that's a bit of an exaggeration, but I know what you're saying. Snipers really shouldn't be a problem and I haven't heard anyone mention before that they are. While building the map I watched sightlines very carefully in regards to snipers and have done my best to maintain the open air feel while limiting the Sniper's field of fire when standing in any one location. I can take a further look at this, but I think the threat from Snipers as it stands is acceptable at this stage. Soldiers on the other hand...

I also think widening the mid would be a good improvement. Seems like all the paths converge right there but there's not alot of space between right and left sides, plus a sniper up on platform in back could cover it all it seems.

Snipers who move around can cover a decent area, but they do have to move. Fortunately by expanding the space that affords me a bit more room to place viewblockers without sacrificing the overall openness of the space, thus inhibiting both snipers and soldiers.

Maybe the side routes could come out to mid at same level as mid, maybe higher (but lower than the balconies. Maybe a drop down to mid with a crouch or double jump to get back up. And maybe not drop right on to point but back a bit.

I think I get what you're saying, though I'm not sure. I'm a visual person so pictures always help. :) What I might do (based on my understanding of your suggestion) is raise the side exit that's closest to the point up a bit. That way there's a decision one has to make when exiting there: it may provide more cover to get to the point, but once you exit you have to find another way back.

Well it seems like I've got quite a bit of input to consider on this version. I wonder if another test of A2 would help me pinpoint where to focus my efforts...

Last edited:

Scotland Tom

L6: Sharp Member
Jan 19, 2008
Well it's been a few months since I've been around or done any updates to Schism. Unfortunately, in the time since my previous updates, I had a slew of computer problems that popped up one after another, not the least of which was a hard drive failure which caused me to lose most of the mapping work I've ever done. I had someone do some recovery work on the drive for me, but I still have multiple thousands of nondescript file folders to search through if I am ever going to find my mapping stuff again (not to mention a crapload of other documents and art files that are rather irreplaceable).

That said, even though I've received some great feedback and had some good playtests with this map, I doubt I'll be continuing work anytime soon. Though I really would like to see this map fully completed it's likely I'll be rebuilding it from scratch when I finally get back to it. In the meantime I'd like to thank those who gave me feedback and helped test the map for me. You all continue to inspire me to pursue mapping as a hobby, so long as my lack of free time and computer issues don't conspire against me.