Sanitarium

KotH Sanitarium a8

colacan

L5: Dapper Member
Apr 14, 2012
About those detail props: Did you set the detail type and detail file settings in Map properties to the ones from Sawmill? Because if you keep them at 2fort, the details props won't work. Just a guess though.

Deodorant

L6: Sharp Member
Oct 31, 2011
I've uploaded a video of your map in a7 form, the one with the non-solid walls:

These walls are fake!
Hngh.
I just noticed that someone pointed out a lack of clipping.. I've put playerclips in all the places where I thought playerclips would be needed. Was there any place where players got stuck or were able to perch? If so, where?

About those detail props: Did you set the detail type and detail file settings in Map properties to the ones from Sawmill? Because if you keep them at 2fort, the details props won't work. Just a guess though.
Oooooh I did that now and I have practically no idea what it did, but it worked. Thanks!

tyler

aa
Sep 11, 2013
What Colacan means is detail sprite, and what you did was set your map to use the forest ones rather than the farm ones. Since you're using grass textures which probably call the forest sprites, before you had no detail sprites and errors in the compiler and now you'll have detail sprites and no errors in the compiler!

You can change what sprites are used in a VMT if you edit it; for example, if you wanted, you could use the swamp detail sprites on the granary textures if you really wanted to for some reason. But why would you.

GPuzzle

L9: Fashionable Member
Feb 27, 2012
For no reason, Sanitarium kinda remembers me of a bathroom.

Deodorant

Oct 31, 2011
Welp, I watched the demo from the gameday now. If I interpreted stuff correctly, the map is functional but lackluster. I guess I have two choices now: I could completely redesign it again, risking to break some of the functionality I have this far and going through a bunch more alphas, but possibly eventually ending up with a fairly enjoyable map. The second alternative is to just tweak minor stuff, progress to detailing pretty quickly and end up with a finished first map with a 'meh' label slapped on it, then start a new project with my this far amassed knowledge in mind. What would you guys recommend?

I'm also mildly puzzled by the one comment someone made that every new incarnation has followed the same basic layout. I have admittedly kept the 'indoor hill with stairs leading to lower-floor pool room' throughout (wouldn't make a lot of sense to name it Sanitarium and remove the sanitarium), but the first alpha was basically set on a bunch of tiny roofs and balconies, and the path from there hasn't been straight.

Fruity Snacks

Creator of blackholes & memes. Destroyer of forums
aa
Sep 5, 2010
One thing that a lot of mappers struggle with (including myself sometimes), is letting go of a project and moving on.

It might be hard to make a good map, but it is even harder to say "Okay, this is best I could do. I learned a lot, time to move on and apply what I learned to a new map."

Deodorant

Oct 31, 2011
One thing that a lot of mappers struggle with (including myself sometimes), is letting go of a project and moving on.

It might be hard to make a good map, but it is even harder to say "Okay, this is best I could do. I learned a lot, time to move on and apply what I learned to a new map."
Nope, making a good map is harder. I checked. It's definitely harder.

(I will detail it as well, simply because I don't like leaving projects unfinished, but if you guys don't think giving up on refining the layout is a defeat I'm happy to give up on it.)

Mar 20, 2012
Every versed mapper here has lost interest in their project at some point or another. The orphan map repository has been open only a week or so, and it's already flooding with unfinished maps.

Write down everything you learned and hope to change about Sanitarium and start fresh (and I don't mean on a Sanitarium remake - take the concepts with you and leave the specifics). You'll see how you've grown almost as soon as you start.

Deodorant

Oct 31, 2011
Every versed mapper here has lost interest in their project at some point or another. The orphan map repository has been open only a week or so, and it's already flooding with unfinished maps.

Write down everything you learned and hope to change about Sanitarium and start fresh (and I don't mean on a Sanitarium remake - take the concepts with you and leave the specifics). You'll see how you've grown almost as soon as you start.
I will detail it as well, but yeah, I will.
Actually, I think my second project should be artpassing an early beta or late alpha from the repository. I have learned a lot, but I'm still not sure I'd trust myself to come up with a really good layout. I think working on and studying some veteran's layout would be the most appropriate learning experience for me right now.

Where can I find this orphan map repository?
Well.. You can find it by clicking the second of the giant pictures right on the front page, or by browsing down to the 'showcase' section of the forums, where it's placed between 'Models & Textures' and 'Request Area'.

Damn ninjas.