Rotation around a central axis

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by Arachanox, Jun 6, 2009.

1. Arachanox

Arachanox L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    Hello, I've been lurking around here a while but I've decided to register so I can ask a question:

Is there some entity that I can tie parts of my map to so that the parts rotate around a central axis?

Thanks.

2. A Boojum Snark

aa A Boojum Snark Toraipoddodezain Mazahabado

Positive Ratings:
    There are any number of rotating entities that could be used depending on what you want, func_door_rotating, func_rot_button, func_platrot, momentary_rot_button, couple others I think too... but if you're planning on having large parts of your map move, forget about it. Won't work very well.

3. Arachanox

Positive Ratings:
    It won't work very well how so? I was considering making a relatively small arena map with its inner components rotating; would something of that scale be possible?

4. A Boojum Snark

Positive Ratings:
    Moving brushwork results in jittery/buggy player movement on it, as well as the fact entities cannot block rendering visibility lines, so significantly more of the map will be rendered at once.

5. Arachanox

Positive Ratings:
    Regardless of your greater wisdom, I want to experiment with it anyway for my own personal satisfaction. Sorry, but I have to learn through mistakes.

I've tied a func_rotating to a regular block, checked the "START ON" flag, and yet it does not move at all. Am I missing some fundamental component here?

edit: I've added damage which will be inflicted if the player tries to impede the movement of the not-moving block. The block still doesn't move but when you move against its edge you begin to take damage regardless. This doesn't make any sense - any ideas on why the block is still not rotating?

edit2: I have discovered that the block is moving, but you just can't see it. Graphically, the block remains static, and does not move in anyway. However, if you stand in a patch of open air in the path of its rotation, you do get damaged eventually. The block is rotating, but you just can't see it change position.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2009
  6. A Boojum Snark

Positive Ratings:
  7. Arachanox

Positive Ratings:
    I have followed your tutorial, and behold! A rotating block. On the downside though, it is not solid. Is there a way to make it solid so that a player can stand on top of it?

edit: Gah! That NOT SOLID flag! Anyway, thank you very much for all of your help on this issue. :D

Last edited: Jun 7, 2009
  8. Arachanox

Positive Ratings:
    Sorry for the double post, but I don't think me editing my previous post would get any one to notice the updated situation.

Unexpected new problem. A small, rectangular block rotates indefinitely. A wide, thin circular platform stop rotating after about 10 seconds. Both have exactly the same properties, I have triple checked this, and the logic entities you talked about should work with all entities of type momentary_rot_button. Any idea as to what is going wrong here?