Model [Request] Crystals

Discussion in 'Request Area' started by Austin, Nov 21, 2009.

1. Austin

Austin L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    Hi I've been mapping my own personal attack/defend map for a long time in my spare time. I have created a round that takes place in uderground caves and for lighting I wanted to use these glowing crystals (Attatched). I have created the effect I desire pretty much using brushes in hammer with a custom texture and a light, but cannot repeat enough copies of them as I hit a MAX_MAP_PLANES problem so a model is needed.

If anyone could make me a similar model I would be eternally grateful

They are 6-sided with a point at the top. Approx 25 units high and range from 3x3 and 5x5 units. Each model should be a small cluster of different sized crystals.

Thanks

2. Owlruler

Owlruler L12: Fabulous Member

Positive Ratings:
    ewwwww,
    ugly subdivide. Anyway, you could ask rexy since I think he used something like that in pl_zig.

3. Austin

Positive Ratings:
    Yeh its just subdivided not painted yet, and I haven't implemented seamless_scale yet on the textures. I'll send Rexy a PM in a bit if he doesnt spot this thread himself

4. Austin

Positive Ratings:
    No takers then? Its just a few hexagons i need :( Got myself Maya the other day to do it but I wouldn't call Maya intuitive lol

5. Rexy

aa Rexy The Kwisatz Haderach

Positive Ratings:
    My crystals were brushes! Except when they were part of a model.

6. Austin

Positive Ratings:
    No chance you could whip me up a cluster as a model then? I can send you the texture if it saves you time/effort. Have tried it as brushes but I just hit the map limits too easily after a dozen copies

7. A Boojum Snark

aa A Boojum Snark Toraipoddodezain Mazahabado

Positive Ratings:
    Unfortunately, $seamless_scale is not supported for displacements in TF2 for some reason. It only works on models. :/

8. Austin

Positive Ratings:
    lol awesome that just adds to my bad day, my fantasy football team's done terribly as well

9. Rexy

Positive Ratings:
    Austin, how are you running into the map limits? I had at least 200 crystals in my map, Plus full up brushwork, and I was at 60% limit. How many crystals/brushes are you using? Can you post a compile log?

Last edited: Nov 22, 2009
  10. Austin

Positive Ratings:
    Full compile takes 2 hours atm, I have a lot of func_details. It just the sheer amount of faces generated by repeating the crystals over and over. Each group was about 8 crystals, each crystal had 12 textured faces and I had to use this group about 20 times.

Bear in mind I have managed to go over the limit with displacements so I wouldn't put it beyond me to overdo something else, I currently have 2142 displacements in my map I know that for certain.

I've run into the problem before I know I could reduce it if I had either (a) model for these crystals or (b) a model for this metal grid I needed to make, or preferably (c) a model for both.

Neither of the brush works is complex geometry, but both generate a large number of faces that could be avoided by making them with models

11. A Boojum Snark

aa A Boojum Snark Toraipoddodezain Mazahabado

Positive Ratings:
    8*12*20=1920, max planes is 65536... your crystals are not a significant factor. Being a model would help, sure, but maybe something else could more easily be change?

12. Rexy

Positive Ratings:
    That's why I asked to see the compile log, then we could know exactly what the issue was. You should show us!

13. Tapp

Tapp L10: Glamorous Member

Positive Ratings:
    Send me the vmf containing the crystals, and I will convert them into models. Or get propper and do it yourself.

14. Austin

Positive Ratings:
    Thanks for all the help guys. I'll do a full compile (crystals deleted, seeing as its causing max_planes issue) later and quickly whip up a .vmf for Tapp now

I am curious how I've managed to get this many faces myself so it would be nice to find out even if I did get the models

15. Austin

Positive Ratings:
    Okay in the zip file are:

.vmf containing 2 template crystals and 1 cluster made from these. Also of the metal grid/s I was speaking about earlier which I know is a stupid thing to make as a brush

Original .tga texture and vtf/vmt files for crystals

Thanks again guys

Do you guys need a full vvis compile log? Or will a fast one do?

16. Austin

Positive Ratings:
    Lmao never once heard of this Propper thingy. I will give it a try sounds like I might be able to do it myself