RealBigDoughnut

KotH RealBigDoughnut a5

Funnystuf

L3: Member
Jun 18, 2016
RealBigDoughnut - Serious mapping has to start somewhere.

I've been on the mapping scene for around 5 years now, but I've never actually finished or even got my maps PLAYTESTED, so it's time to change that. My New Years Resolution is to atleast get this map to beta!

Welcome to koth_RealBigDoughnut! (working title) I aim for the map to make interesting use of the ring-shaped building around the center control point.

Credits:
dev2 textures by Skylark for the current grass texture.

View attachment 123344 View attachment 123345 View attachment 123346 View attachment 123347

Funnystuf

Jun 18, 2016
  • Completely redid spawns and route to point
  • Fixed gap in side of point
  • Added a ladder on the other side of the doughnut as a sneaky way to get on top without using the big ramp
  • Added extra cover to point so you're not entirely naked on the point (I know the crates are floating but I already compiled, shhh)
  • Adjusted existing ammo and health kits and added new ones
  • Changed skybox and lighting
  • Added occasional detailing, with a lumberyard themeing

Read the rest of this update entry...

Funnystuf

Jun 18, 2016
  • Added 2 buildings either side of mid to limit teams to one semicircle of the doughnut
  • Added a hanging platform of cover over mid
  • Adjusted area leading up to sniper perch
  • Added a large health kit and adjusted some existing kits
  • Changed point cover from crates to piles of wood
  • Adjusted spawn rooms to encourage the main door instead of the left side door
I'm intrigued to see how mid plays out now. I worry it will feel too cramped, and if so, I'll dial back the cover.

Funnystuf

Jun 18, 2016
  • Replaced grain silos with EArkham's Giant Sequoia Trees
  • Added some lights from Ravidge's Lighting Library
  • Removed wood piles around point
  • Added generators on side of point for cover and ease of access to center platform
  • Added and adjusted some clipping
  • Added chicken wire barriers around doughnut to hopefully deter OP sentry nests
I hope this helps open up the point and stop it from feeling too cramped. I also worry about the sequoia trees maybe dropping frames slightly, but it might have just been my computer.

Funnystuf

Jun 18, 2016
  • Redid left route to point, adding more cover
  • Opened up the right side building
  • Removed some unnecessary detail
  • Added other unnecessary detail (whoops boredom)
I'm not sure what to do with this map at this point. I'm told I need to make a substantial change, and I agree, but I dunno what that change is. Maybe it's time to move onto a different project.