Railing and diving fins

Model Railing and diving fins 2015-08-30

Malcolm

L3: Member
Jul 10, 2008
thanks guys, i updated the picture with the final heights. did a comparison with the tf2-railings to be safe :)
anyways, hope you fear my mappingrailingskills ! figured out, you could use 45° angles. it works, if you're humble like me :D

Download for modular pieces:
http://forums.tf2maps.net/downloads.php?do=file&id=2820

I request other colored versions of them... at least blue and red of course, but also a decent grey for neutral settings that are not supported by this "alert yellow"-bumper color.

Acumen

Annoyer
aa
Jun 11, 2009
sry Malcolm, but i won't make grey, blue and red versions of this. i just think that not every model needs 3 versions of it and since these are special safety railings that just don't come in all flavored colors, i'll leave it at that, sry :)
it's just that they were made with a certain use in the back of my head and making different colored version would just not fit. moreover i think it's not the tf2 idea to color everything team-based. some stuff can be just be left as it is. i kinda orientate on the tf2 stuff heavily and it's safe to say, that there's not 3 colored versions for every little piece of scenery. hope you can understand that :) i'll be doing teamcolored stuff in the future again, for sure !

SiniStarR, you are an exaggerator to me :D
anyways, didn't wanna start a new thread. finished the baywatch buoy stuff - also only in red right now - just to keep it iconic - but maybe i'll do a blue one as well, just for the sake of it ^^

boje_ingame.jpg

Terr

Cranky Coder
aa
Jul 31, 2009
What about an orange version? It'd be clearly an "emergency color" without being too closely associated with RED. (examples)

sry Malcolm, but i won't make grey, blue and red versions of this. i just think that not every model needs 3 versions of it and since these are special safety railings that just don't come in all flavored colors, i'll leave it at that, sry :)
I have to try it in-game, but it looks a little bright. Perhaps a version where the yellow paint has faded and flaked a lot more with age and moisture-exposure?

Last edited:

Zwiffle

L6: Sharp Member
Jun 24, 2008
The railings look really good, but do you have a specific reference of what you were trying to make? Or is it just some railing you made? Looks a bit thick and a bit too tall though, can you put it next to a player model for comparison?

The fins looks awesome, good work on those.

Acumen

Annoyer
aa
Jun 11, 2009
weird, that you guys fight so hard to just download some kb's and try it in hammer :p

Terr, do you mean orange for the railing or the buoy ?
the lighting could also be my lacking map lighting experience. just try download and see for yourself. don't be shy ;)

Zwiffle, the height is about the same as some of the spytech railings ~36 units for the horizontal bars. i'm sure, it would be faster for you to download and put in hammer than wait for me old person finding out how to place a player, compile map, take screenshot, upload and post, don't you think so :D

that was one of the refpics - mixed some together.
SafetyRailYellow.jpg

Last edited:

Acumen

Annoyer
aa
Jun 11, 2009
i'm not too sure what you're trying to tell me with this ?:blushing:

Terr

Cranky Coder
aa
Jul 31, 2009
Nothing! Muwhaahhahahah. I'm just trying to find "real life" versions of those railings around a secret-spy-base pool.

Closest so far is this. Different lighting.

Last edited:

Acumen

Annoyer
aa
Jun 11, 2009
haha :D
so "moon pool" is the term i should have been searching for. i was also looking for abyss stuff but kinda fell short of decent movie pics :(
on a serious note, if you should stumble upon some secret-spy-base stuff, it would be great if you can send me some links, cause i'm still searching any kind of such reference pics !
i think i'm gonna have another go to tune up this really old stuff and break ouf ot experimentation status ^^

submarine1_shiny.jpg

Last edited:

Fraz

Blu Hatte, Greyscale Backdrop.
aa
Dec 28, 2008
The Diving props I was talking about are:
props_spytech\dive_canister
props_spytech\dive_canister_arm

dunno if they're any use or anything.

Acumen

Annoyer
aa
Jun 11, 2009
ah, thx for the info. didn't know about that !
shame, they have no usable materials and are not uvmapped yet :/
but it's a great inspiration for my submarine stuff. the arm looks totally cool !
again, thanks for leading me into this !

Wraith411

L1: Registered
Jul 24, 2009
Those are really sick. I am going to talk to my team and see if we will put those into our Nautical themed payload map "Tempest". Nice work man.
-W

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009

Dwuh-- bluh-- spuh-- You're making a bathysphere now? Geez. You're just speeding through this. One day you're going to wake up and discover you built a whole Marina theme and don't even remember doing most of it.

Curious where the fat, stubby yellow bar on the far left of your first pic is though; it's not in the model pack.

Last edited:

Locutus

L2: Junior Member
Nov 3, 2009
Ze flippers! Zey do nothing!

Excellent models bro.

Acumen

Annoyer
aa
Jun 11, 2009
you never know stevethepocket ;)
concerning the railings and bar, these are still in production - i was just teasing Terr with the really old picture !
actually the yellow bars were my first compiled test models with hyperrealistic texture tries ;)

Kube

Not the correct way to make lasagna
aa
Aug 31, 2014
Planning on using these for the 72-Hour Contest. Thanks! :D