Question: Round times in CTF

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by ZargonX, Dec 17, 2007.

1. ZargonX

ZargonX L3: Member

Positive Ratings:
    Someone requested I put a round timer in a CTF map I was working on, and it occurred to me that I wasn't quite sure how long to set it for. What do people feel is a good length to let a CTF match last before kicking it to sudden death?

2. Armadillo of Doom

aa Armadillo of Doom Group Founder, Lover of Pie

Positive Ratings:
    Depends on the size of the map really. I'd say anywhere from 10-25 minuetes.

3. Crimson

Crimson L3: Member

Positive Ratings:
    Is it possible to have a setup timer without a round timer? Currently I have my setup timer, but the round timer is there too.

4. Shmitz

aa Shmitz Old Hat

Positive Ratings:
    2fort has no round timer. Is there a specific reason why someone thinks your map should be different?

5. ZargonX

Positive Ratings:
    Well, I'm not sure why they want the timer exactly, and I personally don't feel CTF should have an arbitrary limit. So, at the moment I'm rather torn as to whether to add one, so I thought I'd seek some advice from others!

6. Logo

Logo L3: Member

Positive Ratings:
    The complaint is probably that your CTF map is not adhering to the server time limits (which in the event of a stalemated CTF round would cause the map to never go into SD or rotate).

See: http://tf2maps.net/showthread.php?t=149 You want to be setting setstalemateontimelimit.

7. ZargonX

Positive Ratings:
    That's excellent, Logo! Thanks!

8. Crimson

Crimson L3: Member

Positive Ratings:
    Any ideas on how to get a setup time without a round timer?

9. jakeparlay

jakeparlay L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
    you could try an output to disable the timer after the round setup time is complete

10. Logo

Logo L3: Member

Positive Ratings:
    It'd still display on the UI though. You could always have a logic_auto that delay triggers the doors to open and play the 60 seconds... 30 seconds... 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 sounds to fake it though. Players might not get what's going on though.

11. sniprpenguin

sniprpenguin L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    Here ya go.

There are automatic fields for setup time and regular time.

12. Vilepickle

Vilepickle L7: Fancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    This is thread necro, and you use setstalemateontimelimit for ctf maps anyway and it adheres to the server's timelimit.