pl_mill

Icarus

aa
Sep 10, 2008
A few issues I find walking around.

-Did you buildcubemaps without turning off specular lighting first? I see purple checkers in some of your reflections

-Your one-way doors and two-way doors look exactly alike. I couldn't tell the difference between the two. I get screwed over a lot of times because of that. Valve generally uses the setup gates for one-way doors, so keep them that way. For two-way doors, try using different models or use brushes instead.

-The one-way door in cap 1-2 looks like it should open up and down, but it moves to the side instead. Funky.

Overall the changes look good. We will be running this on the Woof servers and the soon to be R servers.

infectedfury

L3: Member
Aug 30, 2008
A few issues I find walking around.

-Did you buildcubemaps without turning off specular lighting first? I see purple checkers in some of your reflections

-Your one-way doors and two-way doors look exactly alike. I couldn't tell the difference between the two. I get screwed over a lot of times because of that. Valve generally uses the setup gates for one-way doors, so keep them that way. For two-way doors, try using different models or use brushes instead.

-The one-way door in cap 1-2 looks like it should open up and down, but it moves to the side instead. Funky.

Overall the changes look good. We will be running this on the Woof servers and the soon to be R servers.

I'll get all that fixed up for the next beta or final.

Has any one else had a chance to play beta 4 yet and found any problems?

Icarus

aa
Sep 10, 2008
beta 4 is awesome.

We had a full round (12v12).

Round 1 was winnable this time (Lost once, then won once). Round 2 was defeated fairly quickly (too easy). Defense won Round 3, final cap (as it should be!).

Everyone agrees this is a very fun map.

infectedfury

Aug 30, 2008
after having a look at the early development shots of goldrush and badwater i thought i might show some screen of an early version of mill.
m6um6.jpg

m5jj9.jpg

m4fa0.jpg

m3iu9.jpg

m2um0.jpg

m1ex3.jpg

Chilly

L6: Sharp Member
May 3, 2008
We played this tonight and had a blast. I can't comment on balance, since we were all just screwing around. One thing that caught my eye was the door over 2-2 not being closed. I found it completely entertaining and put my teleporter exit right behind it. Killed 3 teammates with the pit in the process. ;) If you intended to leave it open, I'd make it deeper and textured. Otherwise you should put doors over it.

Other than that, I completely agree with the sketches FLOOR_MASTER gave you. I think it would help that area. I also think the comment about one-way doors looking exactly like 2-way doors was spot on. I'd suggest just adding a no entry overlay for the applicable direction.

Finally, I think the cement area in the final cap could use some minor trim. Whether it's a railing here or there or an overlay that looks like a drain, I think it'd break up the mass of gray a bit. For your ramps you might want to consider making a "no slip" overlay... like perpendicular treads going across them. It'd add a lot graphically to that area.

Overall I was really impressed with the map.

Sgt.Sausage

L420: High Member
Dec 5, 2008
Its going pretty well and i am pretty sure i have scene all the problems posted here already so looking forward to b5.

Great map keep it up

infectedfury

Aug 30, 2008
beta 5 is here
millb5s.jpg

download from fpsbanana
tf2maps link soon

--Beta 5--
large detail pass
improved lighting
objects now self shadow
one way doors now have no entry signs

cap 1--
modified walk way and door to the left of cap 1
moved door of middle building to be easier for blue.
made door only open when cap 1 has been claimed
removed wall that cover the door.
side room at one way door now has a window with opening that over looks the rock need red spawn
added pile of wood that can be climbed next to red spawn.
expanded red sniper deck and cap zone.

cap 2--
small wall added in the mill
removed hole on over pass after cap

cap 3--
expanded air vents so red can uses only when the 1st cap has been taken but cannot use when 2nd cap has been taken
added new red spawn room when cap 1 has been taken. cap is close to battlements and air vents
new side room near 2nd cap
more cover added to final cap
expanded side room at final cap
platform under water drop you can rocket, sticky or triple jump out

here is some screen shots.
632.jpg

633.jpg

635.jpg

Last edited:

Phobos

Feb 22, 2009
Good job on the visuals, the map has a nice consistent theme going on. I never heard of the map before I saw this thread. It's a shame, it looks like lots of fun.

Okay, on to the observations:

plmillb50000.jpg

Weird shadow at the beginning of the ramp.

plmillb50001.jpg

The support beam looks weird in that position. Maybe you could extend the lower floor so the beam fits in the corner.

plmillb50002.jpg

Misaligned texture.

plmillb50003.jpg

Move the cabinet closer to the wall.

plmillb50004.jpg

The rock formation looks unnatural. Make the rocks smoother and give the ceiling of the cave a round transition at it's exit.

plmillb50005.jpg

Maybe make the roof accessible. It certainly looks like it should be.

plmillb50006.jpg

Notice the black line at the start of the ramp? I'm not sure, is this a displacement problem (just asking out of curiosity)

plmillb50007.jpg

I think the elevated ground is unnecessary.

atmuh

L1: Registered
Mar 8, 2009
I don't really have any issues or problems to report, mostly because I'm never paying all that much attention while I'm playing, but I just wanna say that this has been on my rotation since b4 and it's very well liked.

Awesome map.