pl_Borax [Updated]

Fearlezz

L10: Glamorous Member
May 4, 2008
Alright, had a go with some friends today. Although we where at highest 5 ppl. So I hope we can get it a server with more players at some point.

FLOOR_MASTER

L3: Member
Mar 10, 2008
We tried this briefly (2 rounds) on 2f2f - 15v15. Many of the spawn doors on both teams are glitched, with players being unable to exit even after collectively backing away from the door. The final area was very cramped. Both teams had difficulties approaching it as BLU - they were funneled into a single corridor that degenerated into a spam fest. This can be easily fixed, but I'd like to do more playtests before I make more concrete suggestions. Could you quickly release a version with the spawn doors fixed?

Fearlezz

May 4, 2008
We tried this briefly (2 rounds) on 2f2f - 15v15. Many of the spawn doors on both teams are glitched, with players being unable to exit even after collectively backing away from the door. The final area was very cramped. Both teams had difficulties approaching it as BLU - they were funneled into a single corridor that degenerated into a spam fest. This can be easily fixed, but I'd like to do more playtests before I make more concrete suggestions. Could you quickly release a version with the spawn doors fixed?

Yes, I finished alpha2 yesterday, just need to compile it after school. Thanks for running it.

The a2 fixes all the known issues and more. Adds more beuty and gameplay fixes, that myself noticed.

HojoTheGreat

L5: Dapper Member
Nov 11, 2008
Map was fun, I'm not going to tell you to clip anything because I know you already have, but that was a big issue obviously. I'm not sure if you should clip all of the ledges though, they were kinda fun to get demos and soldiers up there.

Be careful with lower displacements, sometimes that can look like you can jump on them but cannot. I'd clip the ones that look accessible to make things easier for players.

I mentioned this in game, but for the final red spawn, the on on the lower right, make sure players can exit AND enter it. It was frustrating to leave, need health, then go back only to find it was locked. This was the same spawn that was get locked until Blue capped the 2nd last point btw.

Also, the layout is SUPER open, although there were plenty of sideroutes which was good. As long as you can optimize it its cool, but it may give you a problem with more details. Ran fine today though.

Finally, I think I'd make some of those windows in the upper buildings larger, for players to jump in and out of. It'll make for a good strategic move for both teams, having a demo/soldier be able to sneak up there.

Great map though, and loved the finally! Make sure people die at the end though lol.

Sgt Frag

L14: Epic Member
May 20, 2008
God not another PL map !!!

Just jokin, kindof.

Nah, I think I may be a little burned out on PL because of the contest and so many servers running it. But I can't hold that against this map.

The layout is good, a mix of open spots and tight spots. Maybe too much ammo on point 1 (full packs on both sides), two engis and a pyro could rule it.

The fan was cool but I thought it might be too much. I jumped from spawn onto the cart to stop it and was just blown into the air. Maybe carelessness, but lost the round right then.

It's looking good to. No major complaints.]

oh yeah. displacement wall right before point 4, on right coming from blue. Right ontop of the little ledge with full health and ammo. displacements need sewn.

NovaSilisko

L42: Life, the Universe and Everything
aa
Feb 3, 2009
The fan was cool but I thought it might be too much. I jumped from spawn onto the cart to stop it and was just blown into the air. Maybe carelessness, but lost the round right then.

If the fan blows a half-ton cart up in the air, what's to stop it from blowing a person up in the air >.>

And fear, check the No LOD box in the VTF for those pictures, mk?

KarmaKaze

L2: Junior Member
Dec 14, 2008
My first time on this map.

I (and about half of my team) got a little confused on which way to go coming out of the spawn rooms a few times...so maybe some more signs/arrows...or placing them in different spots.

I agree with whoever said maybe leave the cliffs open for the rocket and grenade jumpers to get to...I kinda liked that.

Loved the explosion and loved the fan.

Looking forward to watching this map progress.

Cerious

L420: High Member
Aug 10, 2008
I had a ton of fun finding ways out of the map, there were so many, even without demo-jumping. Good that you fixed it, it made the map too much fun for exploiters like me.

krik3t

L2: Junior Member
Jan 21, 2009
Map's good. I like it, but...

- you should make it less snipe-friendly. I'm not good sniper, but I have tons of frags fast. Boom headshot :)

- fan is cool, but almost useless. If you can jump on some distant platform with it...

- need clips. I'don't mind clips for highg places (they are also needed), but for all those small rocks around. I tried to get some decent sniping position and got semi-stuck (can get out of there in some time) between rocks and so.

Fearlezz

May 4, 2008
Thanks everyone for the great feedback. Alpha 5 is on its way and will be on the gameday next week. Here is a peak in hammer.

prog1.jpg

Lots of building added, buidling changes, small changes, ect ect. Most gamebalance and request. Remakes of buildings and stuff. Less sniper friendly too. But still good spots for them.
Also looking into some sentry spots in the map, since it lacks them. Plus, more signs, sings sings sings. Signs everywhere! (not really)

MungoKing

L3: Member
Jul 12, 2008
Map seemed pretty fun, would've liked to play with more people >.> so yeah most of the problems were graphical imo. Here are a few pictures

Floating plant and unsewn displacement
3285111888_a3ca6ddf9c_o.jpg

Super thin sign
3284289505_dbd9fe63e1_o.jpg

3284289317_0a1fd5078f_o.jpg

The thing I was talking about with the skybox being right up against the brush, or a bad displacement
3285111088_6feed713d0_o.jpg

GrimGriz

Jan 2, 2009
I added this picture to the album in the gallery of stuff wrong with your map :)

picture.php

Also, I hate your fan, as people screw around it instead of blowing up the blue team.

Additionally, those comments about the red spawn moving back as mentioned in game: When I start spawning at the last red spawn, I have to run past the previous red spawn to get to the cart/badguys...so it seems a little premature to move my spawn. Maybe move the point that turns that spawn off closer to that spawn...like under the bridge near the location in the picture.