Pics in maps

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by freewest45, Mar 7, 2011.

1. freewest45

freewest45 L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    Hi am I new to tf2 mapping and I want to know, I use vtfedit for my pictures I made them into vmt and started out by putting them into tf/materials/custom when I start up the map I am the only one able to see the pictures my friends can only see purple/black pixels. Did I forget something when I did the vmt I made it translucent and set the surface to both default.

2. LeSwordfish

aa LeSwordfish semi-trained quasi-professional

Positive Ratings:
    You need to use Pakrat or Packbsp to pack it into the map file. If it isnt in the .bsp file, other plyers wont be able to see it.

3. Vincent

aa Vincent 🔨 Grandmaster Lizard Wizard Jedi 🔨

Positive Ratings:
  4. freewest45

Positive Ratings:
    Now there is just one more thing I have lots of lighting but what I am trying to do is make so its like a disco room with multiple colors and flashing back and forth. I am different color lights but idk what to do after.

5. ardysqrrl

ardysqrrl L4: Comfortable Member

Positive Ratings:
    Having multiple flashing lights turn on and off will massively increase the size of your map, each set of lights having a compound effect on filesize. Instead, consider making the lights themselves white or near-white, and changing the colors that players perceive using various color corrections. You could also simulate beams of colored light with point_spotlight with dynamic light turned off. With those two things you can have the effect of lights flashing colors without increasing lightmap pages!

Last edited: Mar 7, 2011
  6. freewest45

Positive Ratings:
    I got the pictures but one last thing how do I get sounds like sound triggers example when a door breaks a sound plays.

7. ardysqrrl

ardysqrrl L4: Comfortable Member

Positive Ratings:
    assuming your door is a func_breakable, have it send an OnBreak output to an ambient_generic